Post-Game Talk: Devils drop a turd in the 1st, showed amazing fight in the 3rd (still lost, though)

*Your* 3 Stars Of The Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Merkley might be a nice power play asset— his cross ice passing is ridiculous (for a scrub).

Wonder how things would be if Crawford didn’t retire. They would be in a lot more games with decent goaltending. Would benefit their development but glad to see they’re not discouraged.

I have trouble pinning last night on goaltending.

Other than the third goal, it was rough to pin any of the goals on Westwood or Dell.

And there were probably 10-12 other point blank scoring chances that would have been goals if not for outstanding saves.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Johnsson and Butcher have contracts that make them assets with negative value, unless they start playing insanely well in the remaining games. Unfortunately, I think that Seattle will take either McLeod or Bastian :(

No way you expose either of those two. One of the glaring deficiencies of the Devils is size and abrasiveness.

The area of the franchise that seems to be deepest is smaller, playmaking forwards.

It would seem that the Devils biggest decision is which of those forwards to keep and which to expose.

After last night I wouldn't be disappointed if Damon Severson was one of the players exposed as well.

The Kraken can only take one player.

If Pavel, Damon, Jesper Bratt, and Andreas Johnsson are all exposed, who do they select?

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
If Pavel, Damon, Jesper Bratt, and Andreas Johnsson are all exposed, who do they select?

23PP.gif

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
No way you expose either of those two. One of the glaring deficiencies of the Devils is size and abrasiveness.

The area of the franchise that seems to be deepest is smaller, playmaking forwards.

It would seem that the Devils biggest decision is which of those forwards to keep and which to expose.

After last night I wouldn't be disappointed if Damon Severson was one of the players exposed as well.

Wait, what? You want to expose Severson, Zacha and Bratt?!

I don't even know where to start with this post...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Devils have a bad roster as it is, so sure let’s make it worse by exposing two of our few above average players and one of our few wingers with size. At this rate it won’t be long before someone advocates for exposing Blackwood or Nico due to his contract.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

Why would we expose guys who actually have value when we can lose guys who don’t or have very little?

When you’ll answer that question, you’ll see why everyone was/is scratching their heads after reading your comment.

Reactions: TheDuke93

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The best part wasn't that they scored 6 in the 3rd, it's that postgame no one was happy about scoring 6 goals in the 3rd. They were all still pissed about how poorly they played in the first two periods.

Being happy your team scored 6 goals in the 3rd, when we gave them a touchdown to start off the game and continued our losing streak is not something you should be happy about.

This loser mentality or silver lining stuff is getting depressing to read. Getting out of the 1st period down by 3 is now a normality, which is nothing short of a disgrace.

Reactions: JK3

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008

Tony Piscotta ladies and gentlemen...

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
bro we have draft picks though that will absolutely develop and reach their potential in 2-3 years

Seriousky! It’s not because they get to blow a candle off their birthday cake each year that they’re gonna get better.

This roster needs 2 or 3 key acquisitions this summer to be somewhat relevant next year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If Fitz doesn’t drastically upgrade this roster, @JrFischer54 is absolutely right!
Zacha and Bratt would be two big upgrades.

From last night Subban as well.

Definitely need some goaltending. I'd still be interested in Zajac on a shorty, though maybe he wants to play for a more now team. Need to replace Koulikov and Vats for sure. Didn't like those moves at all.

That said I think on an individual basis, the young guys, predominantly fwds obviously, have shown themselves pretty capable in select roles.

Reactions: TheDuke93

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I tend to think he doesn't play with enough intensity, at least not for a guy a bottom 6 guy.

Edit: Not that it is a great stat, but his hit stats are pretty good.

His shots per are also good, but they seem to be fairly quiet, whatever it is, he needs to get those goals up.
I agree, I don't think he plays with enough energy and feistiness to stay in the line up.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I agree, I don't think he plays with enough energy and feistiness to stay in the line up.
If he keeps making plays like we have seen of late, maybe he doesn't need to be an "energy" player?

Now I think all NHL players need to be energy players to some degree, Nico brings it, Bratt at his best brings it, I think Hughes brings it. The lack of it, imo has held Zacha back. So Merk like everyone else needs to bring it.

But was Merk a guy who was always viewed of as an "energy" guy? Look at his draft year, 70 assists in 72 games. His first year in the AHL, he was a ppg player. The resume says he was, at one point, a skills guy.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Seriousky! It’s not because they get to blow a candle off their birthday cake each year that they’re gonna get better.

This roster needs 2 or 3 key acquisitions this summer to be somewhat relevant next year.
They should have locked up Simmonds to a 6 by $6 two years ago when they had a chance. That would be one less key player they would need now.:thumbu:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

my God man

just please stop with this.

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
Is there any doubt the Devils are going to win a lottery again. They can't win it when Connor McDavid and Austin Matthews are available but they win it when there's no clear cut choice. Thankfully, the rule limiting teams to 2 lottery wins in a 5 year span doesn't kick in until the 2022 draft. I'd rather pick 3 or 4 and have a few players just fall. You could wind up with the same guy at 4 that you'd get at 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland