Devils Captain on Opening Night Will Be Bryce Salvador

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZNDevil

Yay band.
Jul 30, 2010
Tennessee
So Sal with the C and Kovy and Elias with the A? Solid, nice to have a defenseman wearing the C again.

Awwww:

I like his little bit about his "popularity" in the lockerroom.:laugh:

“I have a sense of who will be the captain,†Patrik Elias said. “I would think Sal.â€

Elias said Salvador would be a good choice.

“He’s very well-liked. Probably a couple of guys here don’t like me. You can put that in,†Elias said with a laugh.
One of them must be Kovy obviously.:sarcasm:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
whatever...it should've been kovy, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter

Rekker

Oct 13, 2010
Broad Street
I'd rather not put the extra pressure on Kovy he can keep his A and focus on scoring goals and improving his all around game.
That's true... I just don't see Bryce as being a leader. But you have a point as well. In the end, it doesn't really matter anyway.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
whatever...it should've been kovy, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter

yeah this is what I think.

It would be nice for Henrique to take over in a couple of years but who knows where he will be in 2-3 years, so I doubt they made the decision based on that.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Salvador would be a great choice as captain imho. He has a tremendous work ethic and will help set a good example for the younger players on the team. Don't forget how hard he worked to return after he had been experiencing the inner-ear issues.

Personally, he's an old school type of player and I like those types. I've always been a fan of his. This would also leave some options down the road when Sal decides to hang em up. What would happen if a guy like Kovy were to get it and things went sour? He's here for a very long time and that's probably not the best road to be going down.

apice3*

If we're choosing Sal to be captain because we want Henrique to have it later, we're choosing the wrong captain.

Choose Sal because he's the best fit. Don't choose Sal because Henrique will eventually be the best fit. If we want Henrique to be captain, MAKE HIM THE CAPTAIN. No reason a 22 year old can't be captain.

For the record, I think it's Kovy's team and should have the C, but I'm fine with him, Salvador, Henrique, Elias, Brodeur, or Zajac getting it. All have leadership qualities, IMO. It's a good problem to have. Hell, I'm fine with 3 A's too.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Like Pete said, the room is full of leaders. You do not need the C to lead. With that said, I think Kovy is a great fit (the best fit) for it and Sal can still continue being a leader in the locker room without being a captain. Still, who am I to say who the best fit for captain is? None of us are in that room.

Rekker

Oct 13, 2010
Broad Street
Henrique definitely has much to learn. No way he should be getting captain this early out.

He's not the same as Landeskog to the Avs.

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
Would rather Kovy get it, but Salvador isn't a bad choice if it were him getting it. Henrique could be a possibility further down the road when he's older and has more experience. He's got plenty of time to learn from the great leaders already in the locker room.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I think sal is the right choice now and for the future. Issue with Kovy is if it goes wrong early and u take it from him that will cause back lash and do u want an unhappy superstar.

Sal is on a good contract and in 3 years we can the decide if we give it to Kovy for the rest of his contract or someone else Henrique Larrson or anyone else that may come out of the woodwork.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Fine with Sal for a few years, then hand it to Kovy. By the time Kovy gets it, he will be the face of the franchise. There will be no Marty, Elias, or Parise alongside him.

DevilsAnimal*

Fine with Sal for a few years, then hand it to Kovy. By the time Kovy gets it, he will be the face of the franchise. There will be no Marty, Elias, or Parise alongside him.

Henrique and Larsson

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Seems to me like nothing but Chere's speculation based on Elias's personal opinion. There's nothing in there about it being likely.

The quote from DeBoer looks like it's taken completely out of context when you compare it to TG's report. Chere leads you to believe it was in response to Salvador specifically but TG mentions nothing about that, he doesn't mention anything about PDB giggling like a schoolgirl either.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Chere gets some of the better quotes/stories of the beat writers... but slaps them together in his articles like a juvenile arts & craft project.

Except, instead of glitter glue, everything's held together with dumbfounding typos.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Chere gets some of the better quotes/stories of the beat writers... but slaps them together in his articles like a juvenile arts & craft project.

Except, instead of glitter glue, everything's held together with dumbfounding typos.

It starts off talking about Salvador being captain (providing no evidence), but after three paragraphs it's a human interest piece about Elias.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
It starts off talking about Salvador being captain (providing no evidence), but after three paragraphs it's a human interest piece about Elias.

He is just.... terrible.
So bad that I noticed that Elias has a special "wtf are you asking me?" facial expression/voice reserved for him.
I think he likes to entertain Chere, though.

I'll keep giving him hits for that very reason, though.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I don't understand the Henrique for captain. He played 75 nhl games. He may turn out to not even be a good player. Salvador is 36, not getting any better and has been a devil for 4 years.

apice3*

Henrique definitely has much to learn. No way he should be getting captain this early out.

He's not the same as Landeskog to the Avs.

Why is Landeskog any different? Captaincy is leadership based, not skill based. Sometime your captain is your best player. Sometimes he's not.

My point is Salvador should be given the C because he's a great leader, not because we want someone else to be captain at a future date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad