Devils Captain on Opening Night Will Be Bryce Salvador

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Unfortunately likely Kovy. If not 3 As.

Who do you think is a better option? Patty don't want it, Zajac? We made that mistake last year. Won't happen again this year. Henrique? Would make a great captain, but still too young, and not a lot of experience in this league.

The best options would be in no order
Kovy
Patty
Salvador
Zajac

Eliminate Patty, and Trav. Sal I likely don't see getting it. I do think Clarkson would be a pretty good leader one day too. Just his on ice interaction, and gave a much better interview than Zach who was usually at a loss for words.

apice3*

I think it's three A's to start the season. There's more important things to do before the 19th. Leadership is visible regardless of the letters on the jersey.

That being said, I'm sure we will name Kovy captain at some point.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it's three A's to start the season. There's more important things to do before the 19th. Leadership is visible regardless of the letters on the jersey.

That being said, I'm sure we will name Kovy captain at some point.

Yeah I can see there not being a captain on opening night.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Who do you think is a better option? Patty don't want it, Zajac? We made that mistake last year. Won't happen again this year. Henrique? Would make a great captain, but still too young, and not a lot of experience in this league.

The best options would be in no order
Kovy
Patty
Salvador
Zajac

Eliminate Patty, and Trav. Sal I likely don't see getting it. I do think Clarkson would be a pretty good leader one day too. Just his on ice interaction, and gave a much better interview than Zach who was usually at a loss for words.

Right now? Maybe Sal, but I don't see a real obvious choice as far as captain material goes aside from Henrique; but as you said he's still a bit young. Ideally they would roll with 3 As right now. Give Henrique another season or two. See if he's going to stay. If he signs a multi-year deal and further proves himself captain material then give it to him. He is the first guy since Stevens that has jumped out to me as obvious captain material. No one else on the team has that quality IMO.

Problem is if you give it to Kovy he's your guy for the remainder of his contract. If it works, great. If not, now you're in some interesting territory. Do you let him keep the C even if it's not working? Do you strip it from him and risk disgruntling your star player that's on a career long contract? Hell, will he be offended if you don't give it to him in the first place? Does he really need the added pressure of being captain on top of being pretty much the only scoring threat on the team? It's a touchy situation. As I said, I'd roll with 3 As and see if Henrique really continues to separate himself. I don't know how Pete will handle it.

BrodeurRULES

RIP Lokomotiv
Nov 5, 2006
Parise leaving gave the C to Kovy. They aren't going to give it to Elias again and I would rather he not have it again.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
kovy will be the face of this franchise in the post marty era. it's kovy's C, and he should get it

apice3*

Right now? Maybe Sal, but I don't see a real obvious choice as far as captain material goes aside from Henrique; but as you said he's still a bit young. Ideally they would roll with 3 As right now. Give Henrique another season or two. See if he's going to stay. If he signs a multi-year deal and further proves himself captain material then give it to him. He is the first guy since Stevens that has jumped out to me as obvious captain material. No one else on the team has that quality IMO.

Problem is if you give it to Kovy he's your guy for the remainder of his contract. If it works, great. If not, now you're in some interesting territory. Do you let him keep the C even if it's not working? Do you strip it from him and risk disgruntling your star player that's on a career long contract? Hell, will he be offended if you don't give it to him in the first place? Does he really need the added pressure of being captain on top of being pretty much the only scoring threat on the team? It's a touchy situation. As I said, I'd roll with 3 As and see if Henrique really continues to separate himself. I don't know how Pete will handle it.

If there is one thing I've learned about Kovy, it's that he thrives on pressure. The other top 3 candidates are Zajac, Elias, and Sal. Two of those guys are UFA in 6 months, one is 36 years old with 2 1/2 years left on his contract.

I have no problem giving Kovy the C. It doesn't necessarily stay on him for the rest of his career. He can always be traded once his NMC expires and he can be bought out. If he stays on the team for the rest of his contract, you can always remove the captaincy. How will he react to that? Who cares? If he ever loses the C, he's probably at a point in his career where he's not our best player anymore so his reaction isn't all that important.

Flame Demers*

Has to be Kovy. Should be Elias but he doesnt want it. I spoke with him. Zajac / Clarkson are not ready.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Given that Kovy will be our leader and face of the team for more than a decade, I feel like it only makes sense to give it to him now.

BigBlueAndRed

Apr 15, 2012
I was going to say Kovy, Elias, and Salvador as C + 2 As, but now I'm not sure if Kovalchuk wants to be here. Hopefully he addresses the media when he comes back and says all this speculation he was going to stay in Russia was just nonsense.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Kovalchuk or 3 As with him Patty and Salvador

Essentially this. Only thing I would think is possible is that we have a few changes to the A's throughout the season. I imagine Zajac will have an A at some point(s) this season. Forgot when, but I know we had a year with a few people rotating A's before.

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
Personally, I think the optimum choice would be Zajac...if not for his current contract status. I think his temperament is such that he would be the perfect choice for this franchise. However, I think Kovy will wear the 'C'. I also think he'll make an excellent captain, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad