LeBrun: Devils are starting to listen on Taylor Hall

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Having the 1-2 punch of Gaudreau and Hall would make a big difference too. The major game plan against Calgary is just double team Gaudreau with your most physical shut down guys and it will have a major stifling effect on Calgary's offence.

People also talk about Calgary, like they are in contention for a lottery pick. They are currently one game over .500 and looking at a pick in the 12-18 range. I'd gladly trade that to take a run with the present core.

Though in Calgary, having Gaudreau and Tkachuk already at left-wing and adding Hall to that mix means shifting one of those 3 to RW. It's not completely prohibitive for them, but certainly not ideal either.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Though in Calgary, having Gaudreau and Tkachuk already at left-wing and adding Hall to that mix means shifting one of those 3 to RW. It's not completely prohibitive for them, but certainly not ideal either.

Not ideal. But shifting Tkachuk to the left wing wouldn't be the end of the world. He spends much of his time in and around the net or as the extra forward on the PP anyways.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Who was the Sabres asking for when Bergevin was desperate for ROR? It was Poehling. He is a grade A prospect to most but you are entitled to think what you want.

Caufield = Fringe blue chip

Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Primeau, Romanov = Grade A

Norlinder, Ylonen, Harris, Brook = Fringe grade A

Hillis, Struble, Stapley, Fonstad, Pitlick, Olofsson = Grade B. If I called these guys grade A, then I would be overrating them.

Habs offering a choice between Primeau or Poehling is not a decision we made easily. But hey, you don't have to like them or value them like most would. Were not going higher than that.

The age 20 and under prospects the Habs have at the moment is impressive and I would put them up against any other team. Some teams would have stars like Dahlin or Hughes for example but the Habs strength is both quality and quantity.

Also, How do you "know" a prospect like Ylonen doe snot have high potential? Do you think you can hit with a 20-31 range pick and that guy has top line potential? It's possible yeah but I would take two darts over 1. Especially if it's Ylonen and a pick from the 31-40 range. That's two shots at a top 6F or top 4D. Something tells me you think the 1st gives you a good shot at top line/top paring talent. Sure, it's possible, good luck.

forgive me for replying to you since this wasnt your point but it is a pet peeve of mine

the whole notion that any of us know what goes on in negotiations

this whole... insider culture

quite honestly the nhl has tampering rules. if a player from team A expresses any official comment they want a player from team B they are violating the law of the land

now... do some loose lips sink ships? do some agents get involved and blab? can some smart reporters risk their reputation by speculating ?

we have all seen the trade deadline shows... a trade goes down and for the next 15-30 mins we see some insider telling us details are still coming through... we are still working on details... we finally got the details

they NEVER know the details

even some idiot like me can sit at home and say taylor hall might be traded
even some idiot like me can say montreal should be in on it
even some idiot like me can think of who the devils might like on montreal

but NO ONE is going to know the real offers being discussed

one of my favorite things is when some retired gm gets on the talk shows and reveals some past trade negotiation... but even then they often dont agree

was the first round pick going from Toronto to boston with karberle… or was it going from boston to Toronto with kessel lmfao

very few true trade negotiations ever get released by anyone official... and theres good reason... its not allowed

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
it does make sense for boston to get into this mix

boston recently went hard after Tavares... and kovalchuk. obviously they arent happy with their second line scoring depth and are aggressively pursuing expensive options to upgrade it

they have the assets to make an overwhelming best offer for hall... and they can clear the cap room to sign him

the trade offer I propose
for a SIGNED hall... jake debrusk and matt grzelyck. two controlled assets jersey can plug and play

boston receives a huge upgrade on their second line putting hall over debrusk... but in order to afford the contract they MUST deal david krejci.

expected contract for hall... 11 mill
expected contract for debrusk... could be 5 plus over the next 6-7 years
expected contract for grzelyck… if hes doing 20 mins a night hes going to be a 2-4 mill defender

so hall is 11 mill
an elc defenseman like vaakanainen is another mill
-----
12 mill

debrusk and grze save between 7 and 9 mill but theres still a 3 mill shortfall

deal off krejci at 7... we have 4 mill to find his replacement

its revenue neutral or its a win for boston… either way we can afford it

but does it make us better? lets see how the lineup looks after this trade...

pastrnak/new 4 mill center/marchand… honestly thats a line we will be happy with
Bjork or some kid/Bergeron/hall... how could we not be happy with Bergeron/hall?
one of the kids/coyle/Heinen... no change here... seems good
wagner/kuraly/plug and play grinder... we are happy here too

a Bergeron/hall second line is much much much better than a krejci/debrusk second line

we have the assets to make this trade happen... when we move krejci we will recouperate some assets. the cap will work.

im not going to say I predict boston gets in on this, but it makes sense we will get in on it... and I have outlied here a plan how to make it work

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
:devils
Spencer Knight
Tyson Jost
Conditional 2021 Second Round Pick (If Taylor Hall signs extension it becomes a 2021 First Round pick)

:panthers
Connor Timmins

:avs
Taylor Hall
Mirco Mueller/Joe Morrow

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Leafs-Flyers broadcast, experts were asked which team is most likely to get Hall.

Dave Poulin - Colorado
Bob McKenzie - Colorado
Jeff O’Neill - San Jose

“The trainer in Colorado is getting the jersey ready for Hall right now.”

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Leafs-Flyers broadcast, experts were asked which team is most likely to get Hall.

Dave Poulin - Colorado
Bob McKenzie - Colorado
Jeff O’Neill - San Jose

That last quote makes it sound like things are legitimately close between the Avs and the Devils. Like, really close.

Has anyone else in the media reported anything with substance, like LeBrun did?

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia

Dave Poulin - Colorado
Bob McKenzie - Colorado
Jeff O’Neill - San Jose

I'd prefer Montreal but I'd certainly settle for "not Boston" lol

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Dave Poulin - Colorado
Bob McKenzie - Colorado
Jeff O’Neill - San Jose

Sure hope the cap is about to skyrocket.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
That last quote makes it sound like things are legitimately close between the Avs and the Devils. Like, really close.

Has anyone else in the media reported anything with substance, like LeBrun did?

That sounds like it is just speculation for entertainment value. Interesting if there is some inside info behind it but I doubt it.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
That sounds like it is just speculation for entertainment value. Interesting if there is some inside info behind it but I doubt it.

So far the only thing I've heard that really ties the two together is that tweet that said that NJ had been scouting COL at all levels. Everything else I think is just opinion and I don't know how much actual conversation regarding trades has been had at this point. I'd think we would start hearing more concrete rumors when there is something more concrete actually going on.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Agreed. If someone else comes out with more than speculation, I’ll believe it. Until then, either the media wants clicks or Shero is using the Avs to drive up the price for Hall.

Reactions: MakoSlade

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Agreed. If someone else comes out with more than speculation, I’ll believe it. Until then, either the media wants clicks or Shero is using the Avs to drive up the price for Hall.

Lets hope so. The problem is I am struggling to think of a team that would bite on that unless Bergevin is really on the hotseat and very desperate...

Friedman bringing up the Avs even in the offseason (or atleast always as the first team once these rumors about Hall started) and his proclamation that he thinks the Avs are definitely in it make me fear that this is more than a smokescreen unfortunately.

Sounds more like Sakic did to Shero what Dorion did to Sakic back with Duchene. Hey please let me be the first guy you call if you ever decide to trade him. And we all know how that turned out...

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So far the only thing I've heard that really ties the two together is that tweet that said that NJ had been scouting COL at all levels. Everything else I think is just opinion and I don't know how much actual conversation regarding trades has been had at this point. I'd think we would start hearing more concrete rumors when there is something more concrete actually going on.

The Avs are so KGB we don’t even know what any of the injuries our players have sustained are. There will be almost no rumors coming from our side.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Maybe St Louis just to keep him off another team in the Central? That’s all I can really think of.

Yeah its basically them or Dallas with an outside chance of Nashville. Don't think anyone else cares whether the Avs load up or not.
But none of them is arguably a great fit and all of them would have to do something significant to make it work longterm (and I still believe its way too early for teams pulling the trigger that have no intention of re-signing him. I also doubt that teams that view him as a pure rental would just outbid a team that has longterm interest.)

But as I sneaky edited above. I think it is more of a case of Sakic making it clear in the offseason that he wants to be heavily involved to Shero in the offseason if he ever decides to trade him after missing out on Panarin.

I fear this will be a deal where Sakics competitive nature will get the better off him. So far he managed to limit it to trading for the likes of Derrick Brassard at the deadline but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a mistake now after how well the last 12 months have gone and how well the team has done despite all the injuries...

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yeah its basically them or Dallas with an outside chance of Nashville. Don't think anyone else cares whether the Avs load up or not.
But none of them is arguably a great fit and all of them would have to do something significant to make it work longterm (and I still believe its way too early for teams pulling the trigger that have no intention of re-signing him. I also doubt that teams that view him as a pure rental would just outbid a team that has longterm interest.)

But as I sneaky edited above. I think it is more of a case of Sakic making it clear in the offseason that he wants to be heavily involved to Shero in the offseason if he ever decides to trade him after missing out on Panarin.

I fear this will be a deal where Sakics competitive nature will get the better off him. So far he managed to limit it to trading for the likes of Derrick Brassard at the deadline but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a mistake now after how well the last 12 months have gone and how well the team has done despite all the injuries...
You could very well be right. I’ve got a feeling Sakic is in for a trade loss soon since he’s done so well in his more recent transactions.

I dunno. I guess Sakic could target someone worse than Hall to lose a trade. It’s not like he’s trading for Lucic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad