LeBrun: Devils are starting to listen on Taylor Hall

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You could very well be right. I’ve got a feeling Sakic is in for a trade loss soon since he’s done so well in his more recent transactions.

I dunno. I guess Sakic could target someone worse than Hall to lose a trade. It’s not like he’s trading for Lucic.

Not sure about that. I'd rather watch him throw away another 3rd on an over the hill vet and clearly lose that trade instead of one that might involve serious assets on our part. I have a bad feeling about this one personally. Hopefully I am wrong and he helps us win a cup but meh...
Nothing we can do about it anyways I guess...

And you are joking but I very much believe that Halls next contract will be a very ugly one and about as movable as Lucic is right now halfway through his next contract...

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Not sure about that. I'd rather watch him throw away another 3rd on an over the hill vet and clearly lose that trade instead of one that might involve serious assets on our part. I have a bad feeling about this one personally. Hopefully I am wrong and he helps us win a cup but meh...
Nothing we can do about it anyways I guess...

And you are joking but I very much believe that Halls next contract will be a very ugly one and about as movable as Lucic is right now halfway through his next contract...
If Sakic trades for Hall and signs him long-term, then yes, that’d be pretty bad. I don’t think he’ll sign him for 8 years, though. He didn’t offer Panarin full term during free agency due to our long-term cap structure, and he’s smart enough to know not to offer Hall the full 8 years.

Sakic has earned my trust and like you said, we can’t do anything about a potential deal anyway. I’ll put my faith in Joe, though. He’ll have it until he loses it.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
If Sakic trades for Hall and signs him long-term, then yes, that’d be pretty bad. I don’t think he’ll sign him for 8 years, though. He didn’t offer Panarin full term during free agency due to our long-term cap structure, and he’s smart enough to know not to offer Hall the full 8 years.

Sakic has earned my trust and like you said, we can’t do anything about a potential deal anyway. I’ll put my faith in Joe, though. He’ll have it until he loses it.

I just don't believe that Sakic would trade what will be necessary for a pure rental. IMO the plan will be to keep Hall longterm and given what we will give up for him, odds are he will have us over a barrell similar to how EK had San José committed to him for better or worse after they gave up quite a bit for him. Makar is in his rookie season and Byram not even in the NHL. I could see Sakic go all-in for a pure rental in the final 2 years of Macs contract but not now. Given that he wanted Panarin longterm, I would be very surprised if we are not atleast planning on extending him down the road if things go decently well. Not saying that an extension will be part of the deal because thats unlikely but I highly doubt that Sakic makes a move for Hall with the plan to just let him walk in the summer.

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
2020 1st (18-31 overall)
Namestnikov level roster player
2021 3rd
Possibly AHL swap

I just don’t see who goes balls deep this year for Hall.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
2020 1st (18-31 overall)
Namestnikov level roster player
2021 3rd
Possibly AHL swap

I just don’t see who goes balls deep this year for Hall.

So you think that a return for rental Hall is basically going to equate to the return for rental Kevin Hayes? The trades aren't exact, but Hayes got a 1st, a 4th down the line (like 2022), and Lemieux. That's a very similar package.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So you think that a return for rental Hall is basically going to equate to the return for rental Kevin Hayes? The trades aren't exact, but Hayes got a 1st, a 4th down the line (like 2022), and Lemieux. That's a very similar package.
To be fair, the Hayes trade probably is a good measuring stick.

We hear this every year. “You think ______ will only return _____ as a rental and yet _____ returned ______.”

Fact is, there are only so many 1st rounders and prospects out there to go around. There are only so many teams with the cap space. And there are only so many teams at the deadline that feel they are legitimate contenders.

The biggest rental returns each year seem to be pretty similar in value regardless of the quality of the best rental available. So yeah, Taylor Hall probably will return something similar to what Hayes/Duchene got.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Media and fans. We have 5 million GM's in the basements of houses all over eastern Canada :laugh:. One day, there will be a star that wants to come. Having a better team helps
Honestly man guys actually stay when they are there. They need to really give up the “need to speak french” thing they got going on and hire the best GM and coach they can. You’re just handicapping yourself with that own rule on the only franchise in the league that does it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly man guys actually stay when they are there. They need to really give up the “need to speak french” thing they got going on and hire the best GM and coach they can. You’re just handicapping yourself with that own rule on the only franchise in the league that does it.

I believe the GM does not have to speak french but the Coach? Not so sure. It's part of the culture and you can't ignore that completely. It's an issue but not really our major problem. Our problem with getting top UFA's is we need a better team for them to come to. We have drafted very well in the last 3 drafts and things should change in terms of our potential but we are in transition and have to wait for the kids to mature.

Wonder if the Pens are on a down direction? Do they tear it apart if they miss the playoffs this year and next? I hear Crosby grew up a Habs fan :naughty:. Dreaming big here so don't ruin it for me :laugh:

Mar 26, 2010
Leafs-Flyers broadcast, experts were asked which team is most likely to get Hall.

Dave Poulin - Colorado
Bob McKenzie - Colorado
Jeff O’Neill - San Jose

“The trainer in Colorado is getting the jersey ready for Hall right now.”
If Colorado gets Hall, just hand them the Cup.

Reactions: Goal Caufield

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
:devils will be disappointed in the return.

upload_2019-12-4_8-20-5.jpeg

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

We hear this every year. “You think ______ will only return _____ as a rental and yet _____ returned ______.”

Fact is, there are only so many 1st rounders and prospects out there to go around. There are only so many teams with the cap space. And there are only so many teams at the deadline that feel they are legitimate contenders.

The biggest rental returns each year seem to be pretty similar in value regardless of the quality of the best rental available. So yeah, Taylor Hall probably will return something similar to what Hayes/Duchene got.
If Hayes is a good measuring stick plenty of teams should line-up next summer to sign Hall to 7.5-8 million for 7 years.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If Hayes is a good measuring stick plenty of teams should line-up next summer to sign Hall to 7.5-8 million for 7 years.
That has nothing to with what I said.

Im saying the highest rental price year by years has generally been consistent despite the quality of those highest rentals changing year by year.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Lmao. Oilers aren’t going to turn around and fleece NJ much like they did a couple years ago

Actually your point may be moot . There was reports ( Rumours ) His dad visit the Oilers about Hall returning to Edmonton . The Problem I see with that rumour is Hall is currently NJD property and the Oilers couldn't real talk about a return but I guess his dad could say " My son wants to return to Edmonton " I know we can not talk any more we just wanted it known . Could be a made up story as well . Fans read Halls dad is in Edmonton and speculation starts and then other fans start posting it as a rumour . 1 thing he was upset about being traded from Edmonton so he obviously liked his time in Edmonton so Edmonton doesn't need to trade a thing . They can make him a offer in the summer .

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
As an Oiler fan I 100% agree .

Hall was an upper level talent, but injuries have slowed his abilities. I would presently take Stone, but Hall was an incredible player.

Just don’t want him due to the ask and salary demands.

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
How can any one keep seeing multiple examples of lesser players getting well more than most fans think hall is worth here and think they have a good point? Like was mentioned...Kevin Hayes, who isn’t even close to the player Hall is gets a 1st, very solid bottom six guy in Brandon Lemieux, plus a condition pick. This happened last year...Yet somehow Hall is barely worth a first or a good prospect?!? Absolute garbage...you have to give to get and Shero isn’t gifting Hall to anyone. Not the Avs, not the Bruins, or Habs, or sharks or anyone else. Everyone wants the guy but no one wants to pay what his value is? Nope, where there is smoke there is fire and from all reports there are a lot of teams inquiring for Hall’s talents. No one is saying he will garner your best prospect or a top 5 prospect in the league plus your 1st in 2020 +. However his value unsigned STARTS at a 2020 first and a good prospect preferably a young dman. If I’m wrong than so be it and I’ll come right back here and apologize to each fan trying to rip the Devils and Shero off. Also, i’ll congratulate you and your team on being a huge reason why Shero should be fired if that’s the case...

Reactions: MichaelJ

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Don't get me wrong, I do think that is a fair baseline. The market isn't really set by one trade, and this is certainly in the mix as a reasonable comparable. You can go all the way back to Kovy as a rental and see the limited return he got. So I'm with you there. I'm not a devils fan who has thought we were getting a ton for him. I think it involves likely two quality pieces - a pick + a good, but maybe not great prospect. I didn't view the Hayes deal as getting 2 "quality" pieces. I mean, a 4th 3 years down the road definitely isn't a quality piece, so I suppose it dpeneds on what you thought of Lemieux at the time. If people viewed him as a quality piece, then yeah, that makes sense as a similar trade compensation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad