Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire F Curtis Lazar for 4th in '24

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I can’t imagine anything about his game would be different whether he’s on the RW or LW.

Disagree. The Devils have almost never dressed an R-R-R 4th line this season despite having multiple opportunities to do so. I don't think they intend to use Lazar as an LW in the future.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Oh for sure I wasnt debating the value he provides as a depth guy.

Just find it odd they went for a 6' center who likely doesnt start for us this year. He does throw his body around and is very cheap, but for a 'deadline acquisition' its just not what you normally expect is all.

Its a good move I wasnt debating that. Just.. boring and bland lol. Would still like to see a move made for these playoffs though but thats unlikely

If Lazar is on my third line im not feeling so good. Thats like saying Bastian at 3RW. But agree with the rest.
There's probably little to no noticeable difference between him and our current 3RW so I'm not sure why you'd be not feeling well.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Disagree. The Devils have almost never dressed an R-R-R 4th line this season despite having multiple opportunities to do so. I don't think they intend to use Lazar as an LW in the future.
I don’t think he’ll play LW either. But whether he’s used as a C or either wing, he’ll be providing zero offense and he’s just going to hit guys and make simple plays.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
That despite never playing full seasons he seems to stick on the big club - that's a good sign. This is a 4th rounder, this is a $1m cap hit, he's 28, he hits. I'm okay with it.

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
There's probably little to no noticeable difference between him and our current 3RW so I'm not sure why you'd be not feeling well.
Well Boqvist isnt starting anymore with Meier here so while Id agree with you, its a moot point now.

Boqvist shouldnt have ever been on our third line but neither should Lazar. Hes closer to the AHL than he is the 3rd line for a contender

Reactions: Bleedred

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Well Boqvist isnt starting anymore with Meier here so while Id agree with you, its a moot point now.

Boqvist shouldnt have ever been on our third line but neither should Lazar. Hes closer to the AHL than he is the 3rd line for a contender
He literally hasn't played an AHL in 5 years and he was on a contender and played in the playoffs for that contender the last two seasons...

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Wouldn't be shocked to see Lazar play 3C especially if we want to keep Haula with Hughes. I like the idea of splitting Bratt and Hughes.

Haula Hughes Meier
Palat Lazar Bratt

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I really want Lazar with Utica. Utica didn't have a lot of depth to start with, and with them now losing Ok and Johnsson, and no longer getting Muk, it feels worthwhile to get them reinforcements. I have to imagine Lazar would clear given that he's signed for so long.

I feel bad writing this after seeing how excited his wife is to be in NJ. But, I honestly think he'll add more value as 1C in Utica than 5RW / 5C (6C?) in NJ.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Wouldn't be shocked to see Lazar play 3C especially if we want to keep Haula with Hughes. I like the idea of splitting Bratt and Hughes.

Haula Hughes Meier
Palat Lazar Bratt

If Ruff still insists on keeping Haula with Jack, he should be fired. There's 0 reason to now. Meier provides what Haula does and 10x more. Even if they switch it up and put Meier with Nico, Palat is way better than Haula.

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
He literally hasn't played an AHL in 5 years and he was on a contender and played in the playoffs for that contender the last two seasons...
I think were getting mixed up here.

Im fine with Lazar, hes a good 4th line depth option for us. Likely a Bastian replacement level player with better defense

But if he ends up on your third line theres no which way about it - that is less than ideal. Most teams dont prefer to have career .215ppg players on their third line

Boqvist was only there because just a year ago we were bottom of the division (cause of goaltending of course) and he had a stretch of .5ppg play.

Either way I dont mind the pickup its just bland to me. Cant end up poorly for us because a 4th is just that, not every one is a Sharangovich.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US

Haula Hughes Meier
Palat Lazar Bratt

Lazar is a 4th line energy guy, he's alright at faceoffs & good defensively but the man couldn't score in a Vegas brothel, he doesn't belong anywhere near an NHL top 9 and you certainly don't handcuff players like Palat & Bratt by putting him with them.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Until Jack learns to take faceoffs don't be surprised if ruff puts him with a C who can. I don't think we acquired Lazar to play wing or sit.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think Haula is good as gone but I could be wrong for sure. McLeod is very solid for us in his role, Haula has been in over his head offensively
I would rather bring back Haula. He can play higher in the lineup (3rd wheel on a top-six line) or as 3C.

McLeod can't really be more than a 4C. And his contract demand is going to be in the $2+M range, which is pricey for a 4C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad