Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire F Curtis Lazar for 4th in '24

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Also, I can't believe people think Lazar is better than Wood.

Lazar has never scored more than 20 points in a season in his NHL career! He has five (5!) points this year.

Wood's broken 20 points EVERY year since his rookie season. He has 22 points this year, including 10 goals.

Sure points aren't everything, but this isn't really a debate. I understand that people are frustrated with Wood, but any comparison between him and Lazar is extreme.

Reactions: JimEIV

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
I would rather bring back Haula. He can play higher in the lineup (3rd wheel on a top-six line) or as 3C.

McLeod can't really be more than a 4C. And his contract demand is going to be in the $2+M range, which is pricey for a 4C.
An all-situations faceoff taker whos elite at it, and is defensively and offensively sound for his role, is who Id pay 2-2.5m to anchor our fourth line.

I like McLeod and think hes been the glue of that 4th line for a few years now, and its just starting to show.

Id keep Haula but his offense dropped off a cliff so Id look elsewhere unless hes just too cheap an option.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
That's quite a lot of connections to this team.

It's good that he has some friends on the Devils already, but I would imagine a lot of NHLers have random connections to guys on other teams.

Maybe they played together in juniors, or on a former team, or they come from the same hometown, or see each other for international play, etc.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Lazar has never scored more than 20 points in a season in his NHL career! He has five (5!) points this year.

Wood's broken 20 points EVERY year since his rookie season. He has 22 points this year, including 10 goals.

Sure points aren't everything, but this isn't really a debate. I understand that people are frustrated with Wood, but any comparison between him and Lazar is extreme.
Thing is he brings all the other intangibles Wood doesn’t. His only edges are scoring and speed, it’s kind of like comparing an apple with an orange. Especially since Lazar doesn’t even play LW

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

Wood receives PP time, Wood is a possession liability, Wood bleeds chances against, and Wood right now is playing worse than he has in any previous season so comparing career work doesn't make much sense.

I'd rather have a guy score less if he's also going to keep his time on ice low event, personally, at least when it comes to 4th liners when we have a monster top couple lines.

An all-situations faceoff taker whos elite at it, and is defensively and offensively sound for his role, is who Id pay 2-2.5m to anchor our fourth line.
Why do people keep repeating that McLeod is good defensively.

He's a goon on the PK, but he's not good at ES and really never has been.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I'm not trying to be a total dick...but is this press conference worthy? :laugh:
Curtis! Curtis! Over here!
1677870162244.png

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
if McLeod gets $2.5 million/year, Fitz should be fired
Why? That seems silly

McLeod has 23 points in 60 games with Wood and Bastian hanging off of him, while being elite in the dot and having the second best motor on the team behind Mercer.

McLeod is an important player going forward for us IMO. 2-2.5 is plenty fair for him I think

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Thing is he brings all the other intangibles Wood doesn’t. His only edges are scoring and speed, it’s kind of like comparing an apple with an orange
Our team is pretty much built on speed. That isn't an insignificant advantage Wood has over most 4th liners in the league.

Now if you want to question his speed after the hip injury ok, but Wood"s speed is a huge benefit if it's not hindered by his past injury

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'd rather have a guy score less if he's also going to keep his time on ice low event, personally, at least when it comes to 4th liners when we have a monster top couple lines.

I agree. I would much rather lower scoring but much better defense in the bottom 6.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Why? That seems silly

McLeod has 23 points in 60 games with Wood and Bastian hanging off of him, while being elite in the dot and having the second best motor on the team behind Mercer.

McLeod is an important player going forward for us IMO. 2-2.5 is plenty fair for him I think

because hes a 4th liner and nothing more. We are going to need to be very stingy with the bottom of the lineup $$ wise coming up because of the money our big guns are making.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
This to me is coverage for the 4th line. The 3rd line is covered with one of Boqvist or Shara whoever is out of the line up because of Timo.

Reactions: bigd

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
McLeod is a $1M per year player, absolutely nothing more. I'm fine bringing him back at that, but if he wants more let him walk and just find another guy.

Haula makes, what, $2.3? He's 5x the player McLeod is, and you want to pay Mikey the same?

Paying him more than you need to is bad cap management, the kind of shit teams like the Rangers do.

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
Wood receives PP time, Wood is a possession liability, Wood bleeds chances against, and Wood right now is playing worse than he has in any previous season so comparing career work doesn't make much sense.

Why do people keep repeating that McLeod is good defensively.

He's a goon on the PK, but he's not good at ES and really never has been.
I do think McLeod is good defensively. Do the advanced stats not agree? Hes carrying the corpse of Wood lately and Bastian has been about as uneventful as ever.

because hes a 4th liner and nothing more. We are going to need to be very stingy with the bottom of the lineup $$ wise coming up because of the money our big guns are making.
Thats definitely true.

But even today, 2.5 isnt the going rate for a .35-4ppg guy who takes your most important defensive draws?

I get how itd look with 2.5 at the 4C spot but if his wingers are continually goinf to be AHL or 1m guys goingg forward, st least im Paying for stability and an anchor there.

But 2 seems more realistic

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Boqvist deserves to be in the line up at this point, I rather him than Bastian in

I agree with Boqvist. You can always drop Shara or Boqvist down to the 4th line i guess jsut changes the dynamic.

That BMW line has shown flashes the last couple games of returning to what they were.

Now its a matter of figuring out how to shuffle the top 9 to get the best out of the players. Im guessing we could see some different combinations to see of we can create something to go along with Tatar Nico Mercer.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

It's close because Wood is one of the worst forwards in the league defensively and Lazar is very good defensively. I agree that I don't think Lazar is better than Wood, but it is closer than you are making it seem. Wood is just a complete black hole defensively.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I do think McLeod is good defensively. Do the advanced stats not agree? Hes carrying the corpse of Wood lately and Bastian has been about as uneventful as ever.
advanced stats have said McLeod is mediocre to bad, every system too.

They all basically agree that Bastian is the good one defensively, and Wood and McLeod are liabilities because when Bastian plays they're alright, but when he's out they're a nightmare.

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
advanced stats have said McLeod is mediocre to bad, every system too.

They all basically agree that Bastian is the good one defensively, and Wood and McLeod are liabilities because when Bastian plays they're alright, but when he's out they're a nightmare.
Yeah.. Im not saying theyre wrong but thats definitely not how I see it lol

In fact, Id say McLeod is a world better defensively than Bastian. Idk what those models are smoking (I kid) but I want some lol

Maybe I just have a soft spot for Mikey idk. I think hes been undervalued so far in his Devil's tenure

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Picking up Curtis Lazar for a 4th round pick is another very strong move by the Devils management.

Curtis Lazar is a versatile player who offers great depth in case of an injury in the bottom 6 for the NJ playoff run. His ability to play C or RW with equal acuity is certainly a nice security blanket for a coaching staff. Lazar is very good on face-offs, and he's a solid and hard-nosed two-way player.

What I personally have always liked about Lazar is that he plays like he has something to prove every shift. Though he's clearly limited in his offensive capability, he offers size and physicality and no small amount of snarl. He's a solid add for a very low cost.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
It's close because Wood is one of the worst forwards in the league defensively and Lazar is very good defensively. I agree that I don't think Lazar is better than Wood, but it is closer than you are making it seem. Wood is just a complete black hole defensively.
How are you getting that Lazar is good defensively? Genuinely curious - I'd like to understand.

Based on your comment, I looked up Lazar's 5v5 rel corsi this year on hockey-reference vs McLeod and Wood. I did that because I didn't know what else to do. If there's something better, I'd appreciate you telling me - happy to learn here.

Regardless, here's what this year's 5v5 rel corsi for each player looks like:

Lazar: -7.4
McLeod: -6.2
Wood: -4.4

Based on that I don't see a significant edge to Lazar?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad