Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire F Curtis Lazar for 4th in '24

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
It would be hard to not be thrilled with leaving that dump of a organization, where Jim Rutherford is the guy calling the shots and they think it’s a good idea to hire Tocchet as a head coach after his many failed years and two different failure stints.

F89E404C-64A9-46A7-B5A2-E840F4F7F222.jpeg

Mock Rutherford all you want but he’s won cups. He knows what it takes to build a winner. Tom Fitzgerald does not. This is a bad move by Fitz. I mentioned it before we made the mistake of trading for Meier but this team is not a contender. Not in this conference. We are not making it out of the first round in this house of horrors East and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lazar had seemed to have turned a corner into being a solid 4th liner in Boston but was awful here in Vancouver. He has basically zero talent and was poor on the PK which he had been signed to help fix. Basically lost his roster spot when he was outplayed by AHL callups like Phil Di Giuseppe.

Having said that, he is at times capable of bringing a lot of physicality when he's motivated to (which wasn't often enough) and I suspect he'll really throw his weight around when the playoffs start for you guys, which is definitely useful. He's also a really good guy who is universally liked in the dressing room.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Good 13th forward and has specific skill sets that help the bottom six and situationally.

He had been better in Boston than what he showed this year in Van. I’m not convinced he’s absolutely horrible in a 4C role.

FD187A85-084B-4E9F-828F-ACCDC6116309.gif

At some point Fitz said he wanted to pick up another PKer and he did that.

He’s a spare defensive center you can bury in the AHL with no cap penalty, so not a lot of negatives even if there’s not a lot to get excited about either.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Big chain up here. It’s hot garbage. A bunch of mediocre food at high prices but they somehow do really well. Sports lounge, family atmosphere.

Fun fact. Flames GM Brad Treliving is the son of Jim who co-owns Boston Pizza.
I had no idea. New York Pizza, Rome, Chicago deep dish, Philadelphia white, ...even Detroit.

Boston?

They are the sponsor for Sportsnet so they mentioned it like fifty times in the first two minutes and i didn't understand what I was hearing.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Lazar had seemed to have turned a corner into being a solid 4th liner in Boston but was awful here in Vancouver. He has basically zero talent and was poor on the PK which he had been signed to help fix. Basically lost his roster spot when he was outplayed by AHL callups like Phil Di Giuseppe.

Having said that, he is at times capable of bringing a lot of physicality when he's motivated to (which wasn't often enough) and I suspect he'll really throw his weight around when the playoffs start for you guys, which is definitely useful. He's also a really good guy who is universally liked in the dressing room.

In Lazar’s defense, one forward isn’t fixing this:

2E38CB9E-F9A4-4DA9-B2F8-3EF1CFC36806.png

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
I had no idea. New York Pizza, Rome, Chicago deep dish, Philadelphia white, ...even Detroit.

Boston?

They are the sponsor for Sportsnet so they mentioned it like fifty times in the first two minutes and i didn't understand what I was hearing.

Don’t look too deep into the name. It’s run of the mill chain pizza but they’ve found a way to take advantage of the market.

Edit: I despise this chain if you can’t tell lol

Reactions: billingtons ghost

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
Good 13th forward and has specific skill sets that help the bottom six and situationally.

He had been better in Boston than what he showed this year in Van. I’m not convinced he’s absolutely horrible in a 4C role.
McLeod is pretty set as our 4C goingg forward no?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
View attachment 662186

At some point Fitz said he wanted to pick up another PKer and he did that.

He’s a spare defensive center you can bury in the AHL with no cap penalty, so not a lot of negatives even if there’s not a lot to get excited about either.
Yep. 4th line insurance for this year and next year, with no risk as the AAV is buriable. No issue.

McLeod is pretty set as our 4C goingg forward no?
Mapping out what the cap looks like, they might not be able to afford Mikey next season (if they bring back Haula).

Lazar is insurance for that.

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
Yep. 4th line insurance for this year and next year, with no risk as the AAV is buriable. No issue.

Mapping out what the cap looks like, they might not be able to afford Mikey next season (if they bring back Haula).

Lazar is insurance for that.
I think Haula is good as gone but I could be wrong for sure. McLeod is very solid for us in his role, Haula has been in over his head offensively

Devils prospect pool is weak at C. Good depth now and for next year IMO.
Hes good forward depth definitely but McLeod is a horse, I dont foresee needing a 4C anytime soon unless we just dont keep Mikey.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I think Haula is good as gone but I could be wrong for sure. McLeod is very solid for us in his role, Haula has been in over his head offensively

Hes good forward depth definitely but McLeod is a horse, I dont foresee needing a 4C anytime soon unless we just dont keep Mikey.
Players get injured

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
Players get injured
Sure but thats an odd reason to acquire him given Mikey has played in about 95% of his possible games since becoming a starter for us.

I see him more as a Bastian replacement which is why I find it odd why we got a guy proficient in the dot, not that its a negative just wont be utilized much.

If he plays hard every shift then hell do just fine here. Would still like a playoff acquisition though, as Lazar likely doesnt play this year

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Hits is such a subjective stat. Every rink in the league counts them differently.

And teams that don't have possession are the ones who tend to throw a lot of hits, in order to gain possession. So I'm not shocked that the two guys we picked up from bad teams are the ones leading us in hits now. :laugh:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Sure but thats an odd reason to acquire him given Mikey has played in about 95% of his possible games since becoming a starter for us.

I see him more as a Bastian replacement which is why I find it odd why we got a guy proficient in the dot, not that its a negative just wont be utilized much.

If he plays hard every shift then hell do just fine here. Would still like a playoff acquisition though, as Lazar likely doesnt play this year
It is not odd at all IMO. The Devils are going to be tight to the cap for the forseeable future and at this time have no one IMO thay could call up to replace Mikey. His cap hit is $1 mil - that is what you want for C depth given the organization is weak at C in the prospect pool. He seems like a fine 13th F moving for the rest of this year and next.

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
It is not odd at all IMO. The Devils are going to be tight to the cap for the forseeable future and at this time have no one IMO thay could call up to replace Mikey. His cap hit is $1 mil - that is what you want for C depth given the organization is weak at C in the prospect pool. He seems like a fine 13th F moving for the rest of this year and next.
Oh for sure I wasnt debating the value he provides as a depth guy.

Just find it odd they went for a 6' center who likely doesnt start for us this year. He does throw his body around and is very cheap, but for a 'deadline acquisition' its just not what you normally expect is all.

Its a good move I wasnt debating that. Just.. boring and bland lol. Would still like to see a move made for these playoffs though but thats unlikely

This is insurance for Boqvist at 3RW, the PK, and the fourth line. He's reliable defensively, decent enough on the dot, and hits. It makes sense. Some of y'all wanted "grit", he's gritty.
If Lazar is on my third line im not feeling so good. Thats like saying Bastian at 3RW. But agree with the rest.

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ
View attachment 662167
For all the Conte wrongs that SheroFitz righted like acquiring every good player picked right after Josefson in 2009, a better defenseman picked after Urbom and Geli from that same draft and getting Dougie who should have been picked over Larss to begin with, this is one of Conte’s blunders that didn’t quite come to fruition. And it’s very puzzling that Fitz would acquire such a player.

What a busted pick he wound up being for the Senzzzz. He was picked three spots ahead of Anthony Mantha and Burakovsky and Shea Theodore went not too many picks later.

Lazar is also a repugnant, disgusting person for eating off a fan’s hamburger that was tossed onto the ice back when he was with the Senzzzz.
I think we've all eaten someone's discarded hamburger off the floor at least once in our lives. Right? Guys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad