Confirmed with Link: Devils acquire F Curtis Lazar for 4th in '24

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
How are you getting that Lazar is good defensively? Genuinely curious - I'd like to understand.

Based on your comment, I looked up Lazar's 5v5 rel corsi this year on hockey-reference vs McLeod and Wood. I did that because I didn't know what else to do. If there's something better, I'd appreciate you telling me - happy to learn here.

Regardless, here's what this year's 5v5 rel corsi for each player looks like:

Lazar: -7.4
McLeod: -6.2
Wood: -4.4

Based on that I don't see a significant edge to Lazar?
Lazar has a lower xGA/60 than Wood on one of the worst teams in the NHL.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
Lazar's extra 2 years allows us to negotiate with our 4th line.

No one should overlook this. Lazar gives Fitz at least an extra $1M leeway with Bratt and Meier (let's say $18M combined instead of $17M). Not that he go out and blow it all today, but it's at least there. In the worst case, Fitz pays up, Wood walks, and Lazar takes his place.

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
I agree with Boqvist. You can always drop Shara or Boqvist down to the 4th line i guess jsut changes the dynamic.

That BMW line has shown flashes the last couple games of returning to what they were.

Now its a matter of figuring out how to shuffle the top 9 to get the best out of the players. Im guessing we could see some different combinations to see of we can create something to go along with Tatar Nico Mercer.
I know that Hischier line is firing on all cylinders right now.. but going forward into next season (or maybe later in this season) I think Meier and Hughes need to be on separate lines.

Both are high-volume shooters and I think itd be best to keep them apart so we can maximize our offensive efficiency.

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
You think?
Idk man, how may other 4th line centers score near .4ppg and win 60%+ of their faceoffs? Are also as fast as Mikey and put 100% into every shift?

Dont think Mikey has yet gotten the respect he deserves from some Devils fans and I think its partially because he was taken 12th overall.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Idk man, how may other 4th line centers score near .4ppg and win 60%+ of their faceoffs? Are also as fast as Mikey and put 100% into every shift?

Dont think Mikey has yet gotten the respect he deserves from some Devils fans and I think its partially because he was taken 12th overall.

No, it has nothing to do with that. He's just nothing special, and a 4th liner. Like many have mentioned here, he's not the kind of player you pay 2+ mil too. Especially not when we're going to have multiple players in the range of 9m+.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Almost 20 years ago, we gave up a 4th for Richard Smehlik (plus a 6th+8th) purely for injury depth. Of the guys taken between that pick and our 5th, the only guys who had over 500 NHL games were Lee Stempniak, Brad Richardson, and John Mitchell.

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
No, it has nothing to do with that. He's just nothing special, and a 4th liner. Like many have mentioned here, he's not the kind of player you pay 2+ mil too. Especially not when we're going to have multiple players in the range of 9m+.
I dont see what the hangup is on 2m. Thats not even 3% of the cap as of today, let alone when it eventually rises (since if Mikey signed to that itd be long-term)

And thats what youre paying to the 4C, not just some winger. Hes the anchor of that line and takes important draws away from his line as well.

You dont want three 4th liners making 2m each.. but odds are Wood is replaced with AHL depth and Bastian is re-signed to very little. Paying one fourth liner for the long-term at fair value isnt what breaks a contender up

Wood got 3m but McLeod cant sniff 2m? I just dont follow the logic there

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

He had a hot december. Rest of this year has been same old mikey cold "streak" which I hesitate to call that because streaks sometimes end. I don't care about faceoffs, really. Way overrated. And fast and heart only matter if good things happen because of them, McLeod has never shown the ability to make good things happen ont he ice consistently.

The thing is, he's honestly been better this year than ever before for the Devils, that's why I'm not entirely against having him on the team in the future (you know unless he's a rapist), but anybody suggesting he gets anything other than the classic $1M vet contract is out to lunch.

I dont see what the hangup is on 2m. Thats not even 3% of the cap as of today, let alone when it eventually rises (since if Mikey signed to that itd be long-term)

And thats what youre paying to the 4C, not just some winger. Hes the anchor of that line and takes important draws away from his line as well.

You dont want three 4th liners making 2m each.. but odds are Wood is replaced with AHL depth and Bastian is re-signed to very little. Paying one fourth liner for the long-term at fair value isnt what breaks a contender up
Because for $2M we can get an actually good player, like Haula!

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
He had a hot december. Rest of this year has been same old mikey cold "streak" which I hesitate to call that because streaks sometimes end. I don't care about faceoffs, really. Way overrated. And fast and heart only matter if good things happen because of them, McLeod has never shown the ability to make good things happen ont he ice consistently.

The thing is, he's honestly been better this year than ever before for the Devils, that's why I'm not entirely against having him on the team in the future (you know unless he's a rapist), but anybody suggesting he gets anything other than the classic $1M vet contract is out to lunch.

Because for $2M we can get an actually good player, like Haula!
I just dont think it realistic to expect every fourth liner be a vet minimum

were contenders not bottom-dwellers anymore. McLeod is now beinrg severely underrated if you think hes only worth a million lol...

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I just dont think it realistic to expect every fourth liner be a vet minimum

were contenders not bottom-dwellers anymore. McLeod is now beinrg severely underrated if you think hes only worth a million lol...
He's worth less than $1M, but I don't want to insult him.

Don't overspend on depth pieces, overspend on difference makers.

Reactions: tailfins

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
He's worth less than $1M, but I don't want to insult him.

Don't overspend on depth pieces, overspend on difference makers.
Yeah I just dont believe that at all. Well have to agree to disagree then lol

The last four Cup winners all had a fourth line center (even wingers!) making 1.5m+.

McLeod at 2 is plenty fair and thinking we can just pay mostly dirt cheap bottom-6ers is how we end up like Toronto the last five years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad