Confirmed with Link: Devils Acquire Colin Miller for a 2025 5th Round Pick

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
What other options were there ? Like it’s been said , all 3rd pair RD went for 3+ mil plus and or more than one year. I wish we got a guy who excelled on the PK but that would have been near impossible to find .
You're absolutely right most of the other RD options were taken for too much money. Only ones left are Nolan's brother Cal Foote, Travis Hamonic, Ethan Bear and maybe Matt Dumba if he is willing to take a huge pay cut.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Looking a little deeper, Miller has put up some pretty good looking-5v5 on ice #'s throughout his career. But has also been given some pretty sheltered minutes by every team he has been on. A lot of offensive zone shift starts, and kept away from the opposing top lines.

3 different seasons he played right around one minute per game on the PK. So at points he has been used on the PK, but never heavily.

He did play a fair amount with Dahlin in the 19-20 season, less so the next season, but still a third of his minutes. His final season in Buff he played very little with him.

In the 4 year stretch beginning in 18-19 till the 21-22 seasons he did miss a decent amount of games. Though played near full seasons on the bookends of those years.

Looks like Buff paid him $3.8 mil to lure him out of Vegas. After 3 years, at the age of 29, they let him walk and he signs for half that. Dallas after signing him to a 2 year deal, then trades him one year later at the age of 30 for a 5th, while he's making all of 1.8 mil to clear cap. I don't see Vegas letting him walk as a red flag, but Buff letting him walk, and then Dallas trading him are not great signs.

Not sure if he was injured in this years playoffs but he only played 10 of the 19 games, while his 5v5 toi when he did play dropped in the playoffs from 15:40 to 14:30. The former was good for 3rd on the team, the latter, good for 6th.

We are talking 3rd pairing guy here, a one year stop gap, but my first thought was this guys looks like a dependable veteran who if healthy will surely man our 3rd pair for the entirety of the season. I'm now thinking this guy has not lived up to expectations in his last 2 stops, and we might be seeing Nemec fighting for a spot in the NHL by midseason.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Miller was brought into Buffalo with the hopes he could be a veteran mentor to some of their young defensemen. He wasn’t great in Buffalo, but he did get a bit of a raw deal there. He was healthy scratched quite a bit there but it’s important to remember that the coach doing that scratching was Ralph Krueger, who stalled or outright ruined a couple of careers (look at Jeff Skinner).

I don’t think saying that Buffalo “let him walk” is really correct, he was pretty desperate to get out of there and have a fresh start (like most Sabres players during that time). That whole Eichel era in Buffalo was a nightmare and Miller ended up catching some strays because of that.

It seems like everything in Dallas worked pretty well for him until a dismal showing in this years playoffs. At least that’s what Stars fans are saying about it.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Looking a little deeper, Miller has put up some pretty good looking-5v5 on ice #'s throughout his career. But has also been given some pretty sheltered minutes by every he has been on. A lot of offensive zone shift starts, and kept away from the opposing top lines.

3 different seasons he played right around one minute per game on the PK. So at points he has been used on the PK, but never heavily.

He did play a fair amount with Dahlin in the 19-20 season, less so the next season, but still a third of his minutes. His final season in Buff he played very little with him.

In the 4 year stretch beginning in 18-19 till the 21-22 seasons he did miss a decent amount of games. Though played near full seasons on the bookends of those years.

Looks like Buff paid him $3.8 mil to lure him out of Vegas. After 3 years, at the age of 29, they let him walk and he signs for half that. Dallas after signing him to a 2 year deal, then trades him one year later at the age of 30 for a 5th, while he's making all of 1.8 mil to clear cap. I don't see Vegas letting him walk as a red flag, but Buff letting him walk, and then Dallas trading him are not great signs.

Not sure if he was injured in this years playoffs but he only played 10 of the 19 games, while his 5v5 toi when he did play dropped in the playoffs from 15:40 to 14:30. The former was good for 3rd on the team, the latter, good for 6th.

We are talking 3rd pairing guy here, a one year stop gap, but my first thought was this guys looks like a dependable veteran who if healthy will surely man our 3rd pair for the entirety of the season. I'm now thinking this guy has not lived up to expectations in his last 2 stops, and we might be seeing Nemec fighting for a spot in the NHL by midseason.

It doesn't much matter how much Miller is making - if you look at Dallas's salary cap situation, he was the player who made the most sense to move. They got a positive return for moving him, and have a player who can fill in for his role. So I don't think Dallas is necessarily disappointed in him but just aware that they need to fit under the salary cap and are willing to make that move to get there.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Whatever flaws he has, it’s hard to complain given the money, term, and cost to acquire him. This is the exact type of move Fitz needed to make. The in house replacement is ready and waiting if he doesn’t play well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It doesn't much matter how much Miller is making - if you look at Dallas's salary cap situation, he was the player who made the most sense to move. They got a positive return for moving him, and have a player who can fill in for his role. So I don't think Dallas is necessarily disappointed in him but just aware that they need to fit under the salary cap and are willing to make that move to get there.
He made the most sense because he's not that good. If he was outplaying that contract then some other player would make more sense to move.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He made the most sense because he's not that good. If he was outplaying that contract then some other player would make more sense to move.

Definitionally, the Devils think he is outplaying the contract (or at least is break-even and is better than the other options that are free), because they paid an asset for him, which isn't happening for most players who sign as UFAs.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do find it interesting that Tatar did not sign anywhere today. I wonder if Fitz asked him if he could wait…presumably to see if a deal for Hellebuyck could be consummated. Pure conjecture on my part. I find it unlikely Tatar will be back.
Same thing happened last time Tatar was a UFA two years ago. I don’t think he signed until August.

Now I don’t think UFA that year was until later in July. Everything was pushed back because that was the covid shortened season and the cup wasn’t even awarded until after the 4th of July that year. But I still think it took about 3 weeks of UFA.

Reactions: longislanddevil

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Whatever flaws he has, it’s hard to complain given the money, term, and cost to acquire him. This is the exact type of move Fitz needed to make. The in house replacement is ready and waiting if he doesn’t play well.
Fully agree. Especially on that last point.

But my first impression of the trade was, hey this guy looks pretty good. Looking a little deeper, he looks very much like a very replaceable 3rd pairing guy. Which is fine.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Definitionally, the Devils think he is outplaying the contract (or at least is break-even and is better than the other options that are free), because they paid an asset for him, which isn't happening for most players who sign as UFAs.
Fair, but we have a pretty unique situation, in that we are a contender, we need a guy, but can't go over one year on that guy.

And maybe I've swung too far the other way here, maybe having Damon in that spot last year has tweaked my perspective, Miller is a 3rd pairing guy, and those guys do tend to be serviceable at best. He's not going to be "good", but we shouldn't be expecting that.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Frankly, I hope he doesnt see the ice much. Because that likely means that Nemec has had a great camp and earned a spot on the roster out of camp. Thats the best possible outcome is Nemec comes in and looks ready for that role.

If not them Im comfortable with him as a vet in that roles as well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I did miss this tidbit though.

His most common partner this year? Heiskanen. Somewhere around 60% of his minutes. Another 20ish% with Suter.

Used much more offensively with Heiskanen then Suter.

I find that encouraging.

Edit: Barely played with these guys in the playoffs. Again, shows they weren't really willing to lean on him, especially in important situations, but as a 3rd pair guy we shouldn't really expect that.

Frankly, I hope he doesnt see the ice much. Because that likely means that Nemec has had a great camp and earned a spot on the roster out of camp. Thats the best possible outcome is Nemec comes in and looks ready for that role.

If not them Im comfortable with him as a vet in that roles as well.
I'm still thinking Miller is starting the season in the lineup and Nemec is in Utica. Pretty certain actually.

And I'll hope he isn't bad to the point where we are clamoring for Nemec early in the year.

Last edited:

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I did miss this tidbit though.

His most common partner this year? Heiskanen. Somewhere around 60% of his minutes. Another 20ish% with Suter.

Used much more offensively with Heiskanen then Suter.

I find that encouraging.

I'm still thinking Miller is starting the season in the lineup and Nemec is in Utica. Pretty certain actually.

And I'll hope he isn't bad to the point where we are clamoring for Nemec early in the year.

This is probably the plan. But if Nemec has a great camp it would be really hard to send him down to start.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Fair, but we have a pretty unique situation, in that we are a contender, we need a guy, but can't go over one year on that guy.

And maybe I've swung too far the other way here, maybe having Damon in that spot last year has tweaked my perspective, Miller is a 3rd pairing guy, and those guys do tend to be serviceable at best. He's not going to be "good", but we shouldn't be expecting that.

He will immediately be the board's least favorite player - second behind Smith - so just anticipate that and your expectations will be fulfilled.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He will immediately be the board's least favorite player - second behind Smith - so just anticipate that and your expectations will be fulfilled.
If Smith is in street clothes Miller has a shot at taking him.

This is probably the plan. But if Nemec has a great camp it would be really hard to send him down to start.
Problem would be where do we stash all the extra's? I guess we could run thin amongst fwd's for awhile.

Reactions: Devil X

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It does seem to me that Miller is more a puck mover then a defensive defensemen.

Which does make for a more traditional pairing with Bahl. If we had brought in a d oriented PK type, that bottom pair becomes pretty stodgy.

Now if we had gone that route it may have opened up the possibility of Luke playing with said d-oriented guy, but Miller has played with talented, young d-men in recent years. A lot actually. A bunch with Dahlin his first season there. Played a lot with Heiskanen last year. Heiskanen at this point is well refined and very established, but I'd still say there is that thread of Miller with young talented players. So I wouldn't be shocked to see Miller with Luke some this year.

And maybe he does provide a good partner to Bahl in that respect as well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
erik johnson has also been a trash PKer for several years now.

Miller might not play a lot of PK, but that might be better than a dude we know is f***ing bad at it
I wouldn't call Johnson good on the PK, but I'm not seeing "trash" either. He's just slightly out of line of the other Colorado d-men.

Not saying I wanted to go that route, but I'm pretty confident he'd be more dependable on the PK then Miller.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
This is a good pickup nothing wrong with Nemec getting more time to marinate in the AHL if need be even if it's only half the year .....

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I wouldn't call Johnson good on the PK, but I'm not seeing "trash" either. He's just slightly out of line of the other Colorado d-men.

Not saying I wanted to go that route, but I'm pretty confident he'd be more dependable on the PK then Miller.

Erik Johnson had a bad year at pk. Colorado doesn’t have a very good PK and he’s their worst PK guy. (Well, Manson sucks too.)

Maybe he does better on Carolina’s top PK partnered with one of their guys or maybe he doesn’t PK.

Not sure we had the money for him and who says he would chose us over Carolina either, so what does it matter. (Which is why I’m not bothering to get into stats here.)

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Checked over at the Stars board. Miller was benched in the playoffs.

Still an OK trade, he's still a place holder, but it's probably more as a half season place holder then a full season. I'd say the likelihood of Nemec playing late season and in the playoffs next year with NJ is very high.

Reactions: Classic Devil

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Checked over at the Stars board. Miller was benched in the playoffs.

Still an OK trade, he's still a place holder, but it's probably more as a half season place holder then a full season. I'd say the likelihood of Nemec playing late season and in the playoffs next year with NJ is very high.
Nothing about his numbers in the playoffs stand out as negative. They look quite good, in fact. Other than the team low oiSV%. So of course that will warp perception.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Same thing happened last time Tatar was a UFA two years ago. I don’t think he signed until August.

Now I don’t think UFA that year was until later in July. Everything was pushed back because that was the covid shortened season and the cup wasn’t even awarded until after the 4th of July that year. But I still think it took about 3 weeks of UFA.

He got signed in week 2 of free agency that year.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad