Confirmed with Link: Devils Acquire Colin Miller for a 2025 5th Round Pick

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I dont like Miller acquisition if he cant PK.

Might be a moot point if Nemec beats him out for the starting job.
I definitely wanted a guy who could pk. But Marino is the #1 on the right side. So can Miller or Hamilton be effective in the role of #2 on that side? I imagine they can to some extent.

And Millers play 5v5 may outweigh the pk factor.

Bottom line is we need a quality guy but only need that guy for one year. The one year is key so our options were limited. Miller may not be perfect but he looks pretty good all things considered.

Last edited:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Not me

The problem is that we are at a point where every dollar matters and the available guys in free agency that I would want to fill this role were actually getting more than Miller.

The difference between Erik Johnson and Miller is Mikey's contract. That's a big deal.

I am worried about the PK next year, ultimately we will see what that looks like, but I'll take giving up a 5th for Miller who can do more five on five than paying over 3 million for guys like Erik Johnson and Justin Holl.

Last edited:

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
By bringing back the coach who just had the best regular season in franchise history?

And I'm not even a fan of Ruff.

I'm not gunna bother getting into this argument. It's the same crap all of you guys said before the playoffs started.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I do not think the #6-8 D man makes or break our PK

The main guys who make up the PK will.

We lost Graves, who had the 2nd most minutes on it, and Severson, who was 5th in PK minutes.

Bahl PKed 36:34 last season and a total of 53:46 ever in the NHL.

People don’t want Smith in but he’s our only PK depth now.

NHL Rookies don’t have major rolls on the PK, it’s not a thing that generally happens.

You’ll care more if/when our PK is worse and we lose games because of it, particularly if/when Marino or Siegenthaler are injured.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

We lost Graves, who had the 2nd most minutes on it, and Severson, who was 5th in PK minutes.

NHL Rookies don’t have major rolls on the PK, it’s not a thing that generally happens.

You’ll care more if/when our PK is worse and we lose games because of it, particularly if/when Marino or Siegenthaler are injured.
I think Bahl has a chance to be better than Graves on the PK. It’s not a guarantee, but I wouldn’t bet against it. Much stronger and probably already better around the net. I have more questions about the RHDs.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I do find it interesting that Tatar did not sign anywhere today. I wonder if Fitz asked him if he could wait…presumably to see if a deal for Hellebuyck could be consummated. Pure conjecture on my part. I find it unlikely Tatar will be back.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I do find it interesting that Tatar did not sign anywhere today. I wonder if Fitz asked him if he could wait…presumably to see if a deal for Hellebuyck could be consummated. Pure conjecture on my part. I find it unlikely Tatar will be back.

It would be a terrible thing to ask him to do. The longer a player goes unsigned the less money is left for him.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Kinda funny I wanted Colin Miller back in the day when Vegas was moving on and he got traded to Buffalo, kinda full circle. Kinda hoping Nemec goes berserk in preseason to where Bahl-Nemec are the third pair opening night where Miller/Brendan Smith are just there on standby.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I don't think it's a huge issue. Marino, Siegs, and Bahl will eat up the bulk of the PK minutes. There were already times last season when Marino was playing 1:30 of the PK. Between Dougie and Miller, they can carve out the rest of the minutes.

The Devils needed a depth RHD that, crucially, needed to be relatively cheap and on a one-year deal. Miller is serviceable and meets those criteria.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I feel like Domi/Tatar have to wait for Bertuzzi/Tarasenko to make their decisions first.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
A good GM develops a cohesive draft strategy and acts as intermediary for the scouting staff leading up to the draft. We achieved this goal in 2022, because it's tough to believe the repeating emphasis on two-way D -- especially RD -- with good skating ability and high hockey IQs was accidental.
Ya the GM at the minimum would lay out guidelines for what type of prospect they want. And what position we need if not going BAP .
I definitely wanted a guy who could pk. But Marino is the #1 on the right side. So can Miller or Hamilton be effective in the role of #2 on that side? I imagine they can to some extent.

And Millers play 5v5 may outweigh the pk factor.

Bottom line is we need d a quality guy but only need that guy for one year. The one year is key so our options were limited Miller may not be perfect but he looks pretty good all things considered.
Out of the options that were bidabky availsbke , I’d say you can’t do better than this trade . We needed an experienced RD with one year left on a cheap deal . I can’t think of anyone better that checks all those boxes .

Reactions: devilsblood

kiwidevil

Isn't he a really proficient fighter too? Or am I confusing him with another ex-Bruin Dman?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Not me

What other options were there ? Like it’s been said , all 3rd pair RD went for 3+ mil plus and or more than one year. I wish we got a guy who excelled on the PK but that would have been near impossible to find .

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad