Confirmed with Link: Devils Acquire Colin Miller for a 2025 5th Round Pick

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He got signed in week 2 of free agency that year.
I stand corrected, but still not in the opening days of free agency. So I wouldn’t expect him to get signed very quickly right now.

He also doesn’t have a great reputation, which isn’t deserved, but we know he doesn’t.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Nothing about his numbers in the playoffs stand out as negative. They look quite good, in fact. Other than the team low oiSV%. So of course that will warp perception.
Ya, his numbers look pretty good actually. But as I note above, he played most of his minutes with Heiskanen and Suter in the reg season, then nearly not at all in the playoffs. His 5v5 minutes per game decreased and then he was benched. So those numbers were likely skewed by playing sheltered minutes. Rightly or wrongly though, Dallas coaching staff didn't like what they saw from him.

Another report from the Dallas board is he loves to shoot, and a favorite that we see here often, into shinpads. And as it turns out he did lead their d-men in icf rate, though was 4th in sog rate in the reg season. Led the team in both departments in the playoffs. Accounted for over 20% of individual corsi events while on the ice in the playoffs. So that report does look to have merit.

I stand corrected, but still not in the opening days of free agency. So I wouldn’t expect him to get signed very quickly right now.

He also doesn’t have a great reputation, which isn’t deserved, but we know he doesn’t.
Of playoff dud? I dunno, he didn't do anything this playoffs to change that rep.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Of playoff dud? I dunno, he didn't do anything this playoffs to change that rep.
That probably has a lot to do with it.

But I remember him getting trashed on Montreal (their media is pretty cold though), which I guess was after the Vegas playoff run where he was healthy scratched, but before his Montreal playoff run and ours.

One video that sticks out was when Sid (I can't spell his last name) on Tim and Sid (back Sid was still on there) was talking about something and problems with their team and was trying to defend a player (Maybe Drouin? I can't remember) and said ''Cause he was playing with Tomas Tatar, who is GARBAGE! GARBAGE!'' I remember even repeating it and saying it twice.

And that was like 4 years ago.

A few people had mentioned Detroit as being a possible destination, not sure if that was just speculation or what, but that was before their spree yesterday.

Reactions: devilsblood

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Checked over at the Stars board. Miller was benched in the playoffs.

Still an OK trade, he's still a place holder, but it's probably more as a half season place holder then a full season. I'd say the likelihood of Nemec playing late season and in the playoffs next year with NJ is very high.
I liked this pickup a lot. We needed a 3Rd depth pickup to give us some NHL backup. I’m very high on Nemec from last year and I think a lot of us forget how important an offseason of gains will be for a high end 18/19/20 year old prospect. I expect Nemec to take it to another level this training camp and make things very difficult for the Devils front office. Either way, we needed this trade.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I like this trade a lot. Fitz identified a cheap, undervalued right-handed defenseman, and brought him in to be the bridge on the bottom pairing until Nemec is ready. The cost is negligible. I have no expectations of this, but I hope he can overperform and surprise us, like a new Marino.

There is virtually no downside to this trade for us, just a solid move to shore up the depth.

Reactions: My3Sons

devsfan8

Aug 23, 2005
South Jersey
Solid depth trade identifying the need for another vet defenseman. Good move.

Devils could start the season and go large portions of the season with 13 Forwards, 8 dmen and 2 goalies.

Hamilton, Luke, Siegs, Marino, Bahl, Miller, Nemac, and Smith.

Obviously in this scenario it would not be wise for Nemac to be one of the two being a healthy scratch most nights. Kid needs to play and it's better that he goes back to Utica if he isn't gonna get playing time here. But if they rotate him and Miller into the lineup it's possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
We got a placeholder with respectable regular season numbers and a low, reasonable salary for a 5th round pick.

I see this nothing short of a win. Colin Miller is an upgrade on Smith and holds the fort down for Nemec. Can't ask for anything more than that.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
We got a placeholder with respectable regular season numbers and a low, reasonable salary for a 5th round pick.

I see this nothing short of a win. Colin Miller is an upgrade on Smith and holds the fort down for Nemec. Can't ask for anything more than that.
Mostly True - and I wonder if they think they could make him a PK player - but I would've liked to have added a PK experienced player, which he is not. We lost Sevo and Graves who logged a lot of PK. Siegenthaler, Bahl, and Marino are really the only PK guys we have in the everyday lineup - not including Brendan Smith. You should have at least 4 PK D, really even 5 in case one of the core 4 ends up in the box.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Mostly True - and I wonder if they think they could make him a PK player - but I would've liked to have added a PK experienced player, which he is not. We lost Sevo and Graves who logged a lot of PK. Siegenthaler, Bahl, and Marino are really the only PK guys we have in the everyday lineup - not including Brendan Smith. You should have at least 4 PK D, really even 5 in case one of the core 4 ends up in the box.

Hamilton's been on the PK for 500 minutes in his career and Miller's been on it 293 minutes. Either one of them can be the PK2 D on the right side - it's not ideal, but it should work out. The Devils didn't use Hamilton on the PK last season but it's because they didn't need to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad