Post-Game Talk: Devils 5 Oilers 2 - welp

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Benning was our 1RD...

o_O

Any game where a Benning plays more than a Larsson is a f***ed up game... Completely insane. Even if Larsson has a quiet night, he should still be playing much more (except for PP).

Reactions: nabob

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If he was already showing to be one of the best dmen on the roster, sending him down makes no sense. The NHL is still a developmental league while the OHL at this point for him wouldn't be

If Seattle delays their expansion by a year then the Oilers are probably losing one of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto though for a nothing season.

Send him back down. If he is the best D on this team it's probably gonna get reeeeeeeal ugly here by about December or January anyway and you don't want a kid exposed to all that losing anyway.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We really should not be using up one of Bouchard's ELC years this season, because if Seattle expands a year later that could really screw us, but it's sad to say he was probably one of the better Oilers D.
The only way Bouchard should be in the lineup is if he’s so good and making such a positive impact that it would hurt the team to take him out. He wasn’t terrible today but he didn’t make any difference. He can’t be in the lineup just because we have nobody else that’s better. That’s how we failed with Justin Schultz and other players from 2011-15. Leaving him up here right now hurts the teams future either by burning a year off his ELC for nothing or because of the upcoming expansion draft. The team can’t keep making the same mistakes. Send him down.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Call me crazy but I don't think doing that against Boston is a good idea.

Move Russell up, bench Benning and put Garrison in on the third pairing.
It might not be... but we need some guys who can transition the puck. Bear and Bouchard were our 2nd and 3rd best RHD in pre-season and Benning just laid a big fat egg. Unless the Oilers are waiving someone (or I guess sending Yamamoto down) there isn't a way for them to do it though.

But the defense as it looked today couldn't transition the puck up the ice. It kills the offense before it even starts.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Benning was our 1RD...

o_O

Any game where a Benning plays more than a Larsson is a ****ed up game... Completely insane.

Obvious hyperbole but it's likely that he was hemmed in and unable to change for 98% of his minutes tonight.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
If he was already showing to be one of the best dmen on the roster, sending him down makes no sense. The NHL is still a developmental league while the OHL at this point for him wouldn't be
The NHL is not a devlopment league though.
Snf Bouchard might be hurt from getting more than he can handle.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
It isn't my fault that you posted garbage in the GDT. It really is that simple. Post better might be the message. Applies to all of us.

Honestly, youre the only one posting garbage at this point if that is your whole argument. So one legit post criticizing Drai is garbage? Like I said, it isn’t my fault you can’t comprehend a joke/sarcasm.

Take your own words, post better, maybe come up with an actual argument. The fact that you’ve repeated yourself 3 times now...post better.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The only way Bouchard should be in the lineup is if he’s so good and making such a positive impact that it would hurt the team to take him out. He wasn’t terrible today but he didn’t make any difference. He can’t be in the lineup just because we have nobody else that’s better. That’s how we failed with Justin Schultz and other players from 2011-15. Leaving him up here right now hurts the teams future either by burning a year off his ELC for nothing or because of the upcoming expansion draft. The team can’t keep making the same mistakes. Send him down.

he almost scored...

in his own net.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
New Jersey is sooooooooooo much faster than the Oilers, it's shocking how slow of a team Peter has managed to build here.

He's still stuck in the last decade. How Chiarelli still has a job here is beyond me.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Bouchard had a couple gaffes but he is clearly our offensive leader on the backend. Nobody can make passes like he can and he showed that part of his game off well tonight. By game 9 he will clearly be here to stay as our only threat of a clean breakout, lol.

Pathetic effort from the whole team. That has to be on McLellan. That powerplay is absolutely insane. Don't even think in house league they'd run a 5 LH shot PP followed onto the ice by a 5 RH show PP. Hahahahahahahaha.

Reactions: PulYou and Oilhawks

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It might not be... but we need some guys who can transition the puck. Bear and Bouchard were our 2nd and 3rd best RHD in pre-season and Benning just laid a big fat egg. Unless the Oilers are waiving someone (or I guess sending Yamamoto down) there isn't a way for them to do it though.

But the defense as it looked today couldn't transition the puck up the ice. It kills the offense before it even starts.
You're right about the defense but adding more rookies just doesn't seem like a solid answer.

It just baffles me that for the second straight year the defense wasn't addressed and we're "forced" to play Benning in the top 4 again.

Reactions: RegDunlop

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Benning was our 1RD...

o_O

Any game where a Benning plays more than a Larsson is a ****ed up game... Completely insane.

Clearly our coach was watching film from last year and saw something that no one else saw. This team didn’t look any different from the one that stunk the joint out last year for most of the season. No structure, no flow, no forecheck, no breakout. Just a bunch of guys waiting for Connor to do something.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Obvious hyperbole but it's likely that he was hemmed in and unable to change for 98% of his minutes tonight.
Good point. I didn't consider it despite having watched the game. Those are the things you see when you pay attention to the game and not only the stats.

I'll take a breath and stop for the night. Let's hope this was a one time **** up and thst's it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Clearly our coach was watching film from last year and saw something that no one else saw. This team didn’t look any different from the one that stunk the joint out last year for most of the season. No structure, no flow, no forecheck, no breakout. Just a bunch of guys waiting for Connor to do something.

I don't know why people ever bought into that nonsense anyway. Glen Gulutzan was magically going to make basically the same roster (well probably worse actually, Reider in for Maroon is a downgrade) suddenly that much better because 3 months had passed?

This is the same team as last year from the looks of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad