Devils 2021 offseason (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Guys, I have a question. If we somehow will trade Meier, what kind of problem devils may have in the future with his salary and arbitration?

I don't see a trade for Meier until next offseason. At that point he can negotiate an extension with a new team. Right now, any team trading for him figures he's a two year fixture or one year and flip him at the TDL if the acquiring team is out of the playoffs. Either way, SJ doesn't get a kings ransom for him most likely. While right shot defenders seem to have surprising value (Ristolainen and Jones) wings seem to have taken something of a hit. Guys like Hoffman and Tatar are available as UFAs. Is Meier that much better than those guys you want to give SJ a first and a prospect like NJ got for Coleman? If NJ added him, just presume he's a two year guy like Graves and they can sit down before the TDL of his second year and see where the team is and where he would be on an extension. It's unlikely any team wants to pay Meier $10 mil for one extra season which would be how his qualifying offer would work.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Not really anything. No one is going to sign him for the $10 mil QO so he will sign under that for a reasonable contract comparatively.

$42M across 6 years (hypothetically) would be much more appealing than $10M for 1.

The QO narrative is so overblown. It's definitely a thing, but it is neither binding nor realistic.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I'm surprised if Coleman comes to the Devils:

“The Lightning didn’t trade Coleman’s rights to anyone, but the veteran winger said BriseBois has been understanding in allowing him to see what was out there. Coleman said there’s been quite a bit of interest from a good number of teams, and his “frontrunner” has changed a handful of times.

The most intriguing are teams that are competitive,” Coleman said. “After you get a taste of winning Cups, it’s in your blood, you want to win some more.”

Blake Coleman on free agency and time with Lightning: 'A special, special time'

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
$42M across 6 years (hypothetically) would be much more appealing than $10M for 1.

The QO narrative is so overblown. It's definitely a thing, but it is neither binding nor realistic.

If you don't qualify him then he walks to UFA where he can get 7x6 from anyone. It's not overblown. It's a legitimate risk.

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
Goodrow got 3.6
I agree though Coleman will likely get 6x5
Sorry, I was referring to the total contract amount.

Goodrow got $21.6m so Coleman has to be looking at more than $18.8m.

Coleman came into the league later than most so now is his only chance to make a lot of money.

I'm happy for him, such a great player.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'm surprised if Coleman comes to the Devils:

“The Lightning didn’t trade Coleman’s rights to anyone, but the veteran winger said BriseBois has been understanding in allowing him to see what was out there. Coleman said there’s been quite a bit of interest from a good number of teams, and his “frontrunner” has changed a handful of times.

The most intriguing are teams that are competitive,” Coleman said. “After you get a taste of winning Cups, it’s in your blood, you want to win some more.”

Blake Coleman on free agency and time with Lightning: 'A special, special time'

I mean, everyone wants to win but no one wants a contract way below what they're worth. One has to be sacrificed. What teams out there that are contenders can afford what he deserves? Hell, if it was all about winning, why not just take a massive discount and stay with the Lightning (not saying that wouldn't happen, just pointing it out).

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Not really anything. No one is going to sign him for the $10 mil QO so he will sign under that for a reasonable contract comparatively.

The risk is that he can go on the open market and someone else offers him a better deal, or he just wants to play somewhere else.

Reactions: Darkauron

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
here's how I want Blake on this team, he signs a huge 4 year deal with team X, banks coin like he deserves, then in 3.5 years we trade for him as the final piece to our cup run. Yessss

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I don't particularly think Coleman back here is all that ridiculous if he's given a fair offer. We are the team that gave him a chance and traded him to a team that got him 2 cups. He's probably very thankful to the team (hopefully.....)

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
they dont have any insider info or anything, but look at these numbers....

giphy.gif

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
There's a bit of green on that chart and I like green.

Hamilton is definitely a top 10 defenseman. It's hard not to think tomorrow ends up one of the more important days of the next decade; a true 1D on this team changes a lot for this team immediately.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If the Devils get Hamilton and Tarasenko/ Meier and the Yankees get Max Kepler....

I prefer Tarasenko to Meier, to be honest. I feel Meier will cost more, and although there is certainly injury risk with Tarasenko, there is no doubt he is the far superior player and offensive weapon when healthy.

The fact is that the Devils can afford Tarasenko's full contract with absolute ease -- and this must be a factor for St. Louis. Sure, the Blues can get a first and a prospect for him if they retain 50% of his contract, but the Devils can offer less in return while taking on the full deal. Now that Hughes is in the fold at an already-deep LD position, I wonder if Mukhamadullin and either Butcher or Siegenthaler plus lesser futures might be enough to get Tarasenko in New Jersey.

With Meier, you're probably talking about a 2022 first-round pick, and this is worth far more than Meier in my opinion. If things go south for a still-building Devils team, you could be talking about a lottery shot for Shane Wright, who is probably the most talented draft-eligible player since Auston Matthews. It's also a very talented top 4 and a top 15 littered with high-end RD, which the Devils sorely need. Meier is a good player who offers size for the Devils top 6, no doubt, but he's not an elite player -- I'd consider him a "good second liner", and this is not enough to overpay for when you're not prepared to contend for a Stanley Cup, which the Devils are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad