Devils 2021 offseason (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Nashville is the one team that scares me re:Hamilton.

They seem to be the only other team that has the cap space and flexibility to sign him long-term along with the Devils. Would imagine Devils future looks better than Nashville long-term but they’ve at least gotten over the hump and made the playoffs with their current roster while Devils haven’t

Maybe, but they have big extensions to give to Forsberg and Ekholm incoming. If Seattle had taken say Duchene or Johansen, they would’ve made a lot more sense imo

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Snuggie Hamilton

upload_2021-7-27_16-19-7.png

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
People are getting Master's Degrees in social media marketing. A Big-4 professional sports team doesn't have a college intern running their Twitter account anymore.

Dunno what that means re: Hamilton, but the goofiness and gimmicks that our social team runs is backed up by millions of dollars in studies and surveys and data collected by advertising firms and professionals. They're creating hype, and people will be buying tickets and merch because of it, and it only costs the salary of an ad person or two.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
People are getting Master's Degrees in social media marketing. A Big-4 professional sports team doesn't have a college intern running their Twitter account anymore.

Dunno what that means re: Hamilton, but the goofiness and gimmicks that our social team runs is backed up by millions of dollars in studies and surveys and data collected by advertising firms and professionals. They're creating hype, and people will be buying tickets and merch because of it, and it only costs the salary of an ad person or two.
sounds like a fun job, being paid to troll people

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I don't think the 8th year would rule them out if they upped their money offer after midnight
i can't imagining them suddenly being like "oh you know what? since you didn't like our offer at 8 years, let me just bump it up"

if they didn't feel pressured to do it by 12 tonight, i don't see it happening. could just be wishful thinking from me though

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey

Oh yea, there is no intern running social media accounts.

Typically it will be the director / Vice President of marketing at an organization.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

So if its not tonight, its not Carolina

You’d have to think so unless Hamilton has a change of heart last second and decides to go with a different offer structured around 7 years after he officially becomes a UFA .
I’d say chances of him getting to UFA are looking pretty good. I wonder if Carolina gives up and does a sign and trade for an asset . I doubt it as it would help a rival out in cap space unless the asset is worth it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think the 8th year would rule them out if they upped their money offer after midnight

It would make zero sense though. Why not just up the offer on an 8th year before the deadline? If they're offering an 8-52 (6.5 million per) they'd have to go up to around 7.5 million per just to match the $52 million total on a 7-year deal. If they were going to do that they might as well have coughed up the 7.5 million per on an 8-year deal.

Their best offer - whatever it is - pretty much has to come today.

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I think Amanda is just trolling, but there is plenty of other smoke to get excited about.
I dont think its like Amanda to troll about a player she knows the fan bade desperately wants, though

I think her and the main twitter account are knowledgeable about something and are playing around with it; stir up excitement but knowing we wont be disappointed that he signs elsewhere

the NJ twitter all day has been cryptic about Fitzgeralds meaning of the state is great and hes selling people on it - what better way than to sign the biggest name on the market

id be shocked if we dont have a deal already in place, waiting to be signed

mj2sexay

Jul 2, 2009
As much as I'm in favor of throwing Dougie the 7 yrs 9 mil per offer that hopefully can't be refused, apparently we're in on Pickles.

Love the guy, loved his time here, but if the cost is rumored to be what he's looking for (5x5) ABSOLUTELY NOT. Do not want at that price point.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
As much as I'm in favor of throwing Dougie the 7 yrs 9 mil per offer that hopefully can't be refused, apparently we're in on Pickles.

Love the guy, loved his time here, but if the cost is rumored to be what he's looking for (5x5) ABSOLUTELY NOT. Do not want at that price point.

Look if Coleman can replace Zajac's contract as our shutdown 3C and add in 15-20 goals per year. I dont hate it

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I dont think its like Amanda to troll about a player she knows the fan bade desperately wants, though

I think her and the main twitter account are knowledgeable about something and are playing around with it; stir up excitement but knowing we wont be disappointed that he signs elsewhere

the NJ twitter all day has been cryptic about Fitzgeralds meaning of the state is great and hes selling people on it - what better way than to sign the biggest name on the market

id be shocked if we dont have a deal already in place, waiting to be signed

Today is "national new jersey day" so social media team has been playing into that.

We are reaching with the team social media stuff. They don't know anything.

The Tony D stuff is much more concrete get your hopes up news.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Cap hit is fine to me but the term sucks. If it got bumped down to 4 years I'd still be wary but would be more comfortable. Someone's going to give it to him though

mj2sexay

Jul 2, 2009
Look if Coleman can replace Zajac's contract as our shutdown 3C and add in 15-20 goals per year. I dont hate it

As much as I think the need for a 3C is there (McLeod starts the year on the 4th line with Wood, Bovquist to the AHL), I'm just not in favor of giving Coleman that kind of contract when guys like him age quickly. I'd be more comfortable with more money on a much less term.

Lol it appears myself and Hischr are on the same wave length. Five years? Naw.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The only issue I have with Dougie is if he goes with #19. It's just weird to see on a defenseman.

Yeah I'm not a fan of it either but I've gotten used to it on him. One of him or Graves should reverse their 27 and go with 72. I'd be better on Dougie

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Today is "national new jersey day" so social media team has been playing into that.

We are reaching with the team social media stuff. They don't know anything.

The Tony D stuff is much more concrete get your hopes up news.
Im just saying - look at the responses on twitter to the Devils free agency tweet and Amanda's little joke

they know thats the emotion theyre stirring with those posts; my argument is theyre much smarter than to do that, only for the team to fall short tomorrow. That only promotes negative thoughts towards the organization

I doubt very much either would have tweeted such things if, say, Dougie was signing in Carolina or somewhere else and they knew they were out of it

And if they do end up not signing him, I feel its bad practixe on Amanda's part to play with those emotional strings of the fans. And I think shes been a consummate professional and wouldnt do such a thing; so therein lies my theory that she and the team knows Dougie is a Devil

did I convince you yet? Lmfao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad