Devils 2021 offseason (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I remember seeing that every wingers numbers got worse with center Zacha and every centers numbers got better with winger Zacha. He’s legitimately one of the worst players in the league when he’s a center and he has value on the wing. This team will go nowhere with him as a 3C.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Zacha as 3C might be a step back

if they stick Zacha back at C get ready for a board civil war. Keep him on wing

Zacha should never touch the middle of the ice again

Problem with Zacha at 3C is that it weakens 2 positions. IMO the team needs to keep Zacha at wing unless there are 2 injuries at C, which is why I prefer a 3C to a top 6 wing for a potential forward ad.

I remember seeing that every wingers numbers got worse with center Zacha and every centers numbers got better with winger Zacha. He’s legitimately one of the worst players in the league when he’s a center and he has value on the wing. This team will go nowhere with him as a 3C.

All of these are probably right. I dont really want Zacha at Center either, but given the current UFA options I just dont see it. Personally I am hoping its McLeod and we can more easily find a 4th line center which is what most of the options are out there.

My point is they may look at the internal options for that position look far better then the external FAs.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
All of these are probably right. I dont really want Zacha at Center either, but given the current UFA options I just dont see it. Personally I am hoping its McLeod and we can more easily find a 4th line center which is what most of the options are out there.

My point is they may look at the internal options for that position look far better then the external FAs.

Not addressing it would be a huge mistake in mind but yeah I don’t think they do address it

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I would say they fall into a grey area bordering on not useful.

The 4th period definitely has connections and contact with NHL people but they’re also clickbait so it’s basically impossible to separate their real information from the speculation.

If they were smart we would just be attached to every available top 6 forward. As Fitz made that very clear yesterday.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Any interest in Brassard or Bozak for 3C? They still any good?

We should be looking at a Bozak, Zajac, or Cizikas to come in and be penciled as the 4C. Ideally, they just play there and one of the kids can claim 3C minutes.

But absolute worst case scenario, any one of those guys can play 3C and hold their own. Not ideal but at least tread water there rather than watch Boqvist/McLeod/Mercer struggle and get caved in.

Bozak would be the most ideal personally as he’s shown he’s also able to play RW which gives us some flexibility.

Last edited:

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
I think they should take a look at Rango or Kuokkanen in camp. Mercer, Boqvist. If none of them fit the bill sign or trade for a vet. There will probably be someone available. We've also had some success with PTOs in the past.

I would prioritize getting the best available winger for Jack. It's a big year for him.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I don't really have much interest in signing a 4C...McLeod is perfectly capable of playing that role.

Perhaps he's capable of playing 3C with the right partners, perhaps a C gets injured. I think another center should be added to the roster, and if it's guy that is a 4c then you give McLeod and Boqvist ample opportunity to win the 3/4C spots and push him out of the line up.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Perhaps he's capable of playing 3C with the right partners, perhaps a C gets injured. I think another center should be added to the roster, and if it's guy that is a 4c then you give McLeod and Boqvist ample opportunity to win the 3/4C spots and push him out of the line up.

If we didn’t get Dougie then I’d say f*** it and let them try. I don’t feel like wasting a season and I think that going into the year without someone better and letting the young guys battle it out isn’t conducive to success this year

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
If we didn’t get Dougie then I’d say f*** it and let them try. I don’t feel like wasting a season and I think that going into the year without someone better and letting the young guys battle it out isn’t conducive to success this year

Who's left though? Who can even be acquired in a trade? Kerfoot?

edit: Chris Tierney perhaps?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Who's left though? Who can even be acquired in a trade? Kerfoot?

edit: Chris Tierney perhaps?

I honestly don't know what's out there anymore that'd be good. I've been saying we made a mistake by not getting Bonino. The dream is backing up the truck to Krejci and see if he'd come but I don't see him anywhere but Boston

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I’ll take Alex Tuch off their hands to clear some cap space in order for them to get Eichel. I’d give up a pretty sweet package to get him here, which would also be used by Vegas to flip to Buffalo.

Vegas doesn’t have the assets to get Eichel at the moment and if they added someone like Zacha+ Holtz + 2nd, it would help them generate a better package for Buffalo.

Yes, wishful thinking, I get that… but I want Alex Tuch, so leave me alone.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I’ll take Alex Tuch off their hands to clear some cap space in order for them to get Eichel. I’d give up a pretty sweet package to get him here, which would also be used by Vegas to flip to Buffalo.

Vegas doesn’t have the assets to get Eichel at the moment and if they added someone like Zacha+ Holtz + 2nd, it would help them generate a better package for Buffalo.

Yes, wishful thinking, I get that… but I want Alex Tuch, so leave me alone.

It seems to me that Vegas does somehow have the assets but Krebs is a holdup. I think an ideal semi realistic scenario is them getting Eichel and us trading for Stephenson

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Jared McCann would have been perfect for that 3C role.
Bjugstad, Bonino, Haula, P. Suter, there were a lot of great options that signed elsewhere.

I really hope 3C is a priority for Fitz, and not a "well let's just have some guys internally compete for it" kinda thing. Zacha absolutely needs to stay a permanent winger and I don't trust Boqvist or McLeod to play 3C.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't really have much interest in signing a 4C...McLeod is perfectly capable of playing that role.

Same here. The only exception I’d make is probably Ross Colton. From the sounds of it, his Devils fandom as a kid was more than just that—burning passion bordering on obsession. Many of us can relate :laugh:

Winning a Cup and then playing for his favorite team... morale would be so goddamn high. It’d be infectious.

Colton-McLeod-Wood // Wood-Colton-McLeod would be electric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad