Devils 2021 offseason (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Svechnikov could score 50 on Jack's wing. I'd do that offer sheet all day.

An offer sheet won’t be successful. Carolina will match like Aho. Not matching an offer sheet (when you have the cap room to do so) just sends the direct message to the market that you are cheap and won’t spend the money on the team. That is a death sentence for a franchise. With a UFA you can pretend you tried, and chalk it up to other factors. You have to have the perception of trying even if you aren’t really.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
An offer sheet won’t be successful. Carolina will match like Aho. Not matching an offer sheet (when you have the cap room to do so) just sends the direct message to the market that you are cheap and won’t spend the money on the team. That is a death sentence for a franchise. With a UFA you can pretend you tried, and chalk it up to other factors. You have to have the perception of trying even if you aren’t really.
Yeah, i agree they would match. Just saying I definitely think the compensation would be worth it if they didnt.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
I'm 50/50 on Tarasenko. He's missed so much time the last two seasons...it may be too risky.
It’s 2 years. I don’t see much of a risk there. Especially with Subban’s money coming off next year. And if Tarasenko stays healthy I could see him scoring 40 goals playing with Jack. Well worth rolling the dice on, imo.

Reactions: Buck Dancer

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
It’s 2 years. I don’t see much of a risk there. Especially with Subban’s money coming off next year. And if Tarasenko stays healthy I could see him scoring 40 goals playing with Jack. Well worth rolling the dice on, imo.
Agree 100%. Definitely risk there, but the reward could be huge.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Blues jumping in on Saad seemed so random I half thought they were trying to force us into a bad Tarasenko trade by blocking us from signing Saad lol

They lost Schwarz, they replaced him with basically the most Schwarz-y player in the league.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Fitz said today he wasn’t chasing. I’m betting Fitz has an offer out there and the Devils aren’t going any further. STL wants more. I also believe we are the only team willing to take all the contract…. Well beside Arizona but STL doesn’t want to attach picks to him haha.

Almost certainly why the trade didn't happen yesterday. Armstrong asked for too much and Fitz backed off.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's only too risky if the assets required to get him are too high. I doubt we are a cap team this year or next even with tarasenko tbh, so the money aspect is largely inconsequential

The risk is having a player who isn't good instead of having a player who is.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
That risk exists for just about anyone you can acquire.... Especially at this point. If he sucks you have to be a good enough coach to pull him

I think I've gone over this enough but there's a player out there who has consistently performed for years and doesn't have legitimate concerns like Tarasenko does.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Similar to Subban, it seems like the most likely case seems to be that he's washed and best case scenario is a decent 2nd liner, but also similar to Subban is that the contract probably won't matter to us before it's over.

I would take Tarasenko, but if we give up anything much of value to get him I'd be annoyed. I wouldn't be expecting productive first line minutes and I'd probably still be looking for another winger. If he managed to perform up to his reputation I would consider it a bonus.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I think I've gone over this enough but there's a player out there who has consistently performed for years and doesn't have legitimate concerns like Tarasenko does.

I'm fine with Tatar as well. His financial risk is far more palatable

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
But can we sign him for just 2 years so he doesn't block our up-and-coming wings?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Similar to Subban, it seems like the most likely case seems to be that he's washed and best case scenario is a decent 2nd liner, but also similar to Subban is that the contract probably won't matter to us before it's over.

I would take Tarasenko, but if we give up anything much of value to get him I'd be annoyed. I wouldn't be expecting productive first line minutes and I'd probably still be looking for another winger. If he managed to perform up to his reputation I would consider it a bonus.

I don't want to trade more 2nds for broken players on a team that isn't ready to contend.

Tatar makes more sense to me cost wise. We can worry about his playoff stats when we actually make the playoffs.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

I'll give tank props... He knows how to produce offensively. Even during this debacle, 24 in his last 34 is strong. Limited sample last year, but his ppg was still higher than Timo Meier's. The big question is the goal scoring. Can he get that back? I don't know. But even if he didn't, I could still kind of see him being a 15/35/50 guy. As you said, probably more of a second liner, but it makes me feel better about the deal not being a complete disaster

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I mean there’s a reason why Tatar is still on the market it’s because he probably wants 5 year term and that would be dumb for us to do for a guy who will be turning 31 in December

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I mean there’s a reason why Tatar is still on the market it’s because he probably wants 5 year term and that would be dumb for us to do for a guy who will be turning 31 in December

The fact that we've heard nothing at all about him and any team makes it clear to me that he's not getting that from anyone. He'll have to cave at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad