Devils 2021 offseason (news, notes and speculation) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I don't think the handedness thing is overblown at all. Unless a guy has played both sides consistently, you can't just peg a righty to play LD or vice versa
It is overblown, the 2016 Pens won too with one righthander, I'm not saying it's something that wouldn't help a team but it doesn't make sense to trade a top defensemen for a lower tier one just because he's not a righty and the lower tier is, I'd rather go with the more talented and better defenseman.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
No such thing as “too many puck movers” either. Ideally all of your D are puck movers.

If we look in the closest past at the teams with success like tampa, islanders, montreal and dallas(local success), even pens and blues - ideally all of your D are good D.

Ideally all your D are HOF level guys who can do both.

But we know that is not realistic. Hamilton may be realistic and he can both move the puck and play D, and that is why everyone agrees he would be a great fit.

Now if we had to choose between an offensive oriented puck mover, and a defensive oriented guy for that bottom pair rhd, I'm going D oriented. Sev's and Subban can both move the puck, but neither are defensive lockdown defenders. Neither were able to stabilize the penalty kill either. So that's what I'm looking at.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Ok, gentlemen, I dont think that building a winning team with two sofies playmakers(Luke and Ty) and Severson(we dont have any option, even if we add Hamilton) in top-4 is a working idea. I can be wrong here, but this is how I see today winning hockey teams works. Would be great If Smith(somehow) and Luke will play solid defensive game.
But we have zibillion left defensemen and two lef playmakers to split their time.
If we wanna add some young solid right defenseman, we should trade something really valuable. But this is how I see our situation. I can and hope I will be wrong and we will be solid. Magically.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
For those with the athletic.

I think we can possibly add a top-six (forward),” Fitzgerald said. “We added a top-four defenseman. If I could add another quality defenseman, I think that would be very helpful. I think it will improve our team. I wish I didn’t have to fill that 1B role (in net). I was hoping Corey Crawford would be here for a second year. I want to fill that so we have a tandem on the ice that we feel comfortable with.”

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's also a completely different game now.

The 2017 Pens had 1 regular righty in Schultz who played 21 of the 25 games during their run and then another who in Ruhwedel who played 6 games of the 25. Reminder this was also the year without Letang

Reactions: Lou is God

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Ok, gentlemen, I dont think that building a winning team with two sofies playmakers(Luke and Ty) and Severson(we dont have any option, even if we add Hamilton) in top-4 is a working idea. I can be wrong here, but this is how I see today winning hockey teams works. Would be great If Smith(somehow) and Luke will play solid defensive game.
But we have zibillion left defensemen and two lef playmakers to split their time.
If we wanna add some young solid right defenseman, we should trade something really valuable. But this is how I see our situation. I can and hope I will be wrong and we will be solid. Magically.

Luke can play the right side, as he is doing today in the USNTDP showcase game. Ty also played RD in juniors. And like I said, Luke and Ty are two completely different players.

I agree we need to add a RD, but if they sign Hamilton, this will greatly alleviate that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad