Devils 2021 offseason (news, notes and speculation) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Luke can play the right side, as he is doing today in the USNTDP showcase game. Ty also played RD in juniors.

I agree we need to add a RD, but if they sign Hamilton, this will greatly alleviate that problem.

Signing Dougie and re-signing Severson would do a good job of basically getting rid of it entirely

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
For those with the athletic.

I think we can possibly add a top-six (forward),” Fitzgerald said. “We added a top-four defenseman. If I could add another quality defenseman, I think that would be very helpful. I think it will improve our team. I wish I didn’t have to fill that 1B role (in net). I was hoping Corey Crawford would be here for a second year. I want to fill that so we have a tandem on the ice that we feel comfortable with.”

Regardless of what happens, I think it's clear Fitz has a similar idea of what we need to improve the team as we do here, and he's doing what he can to make those moves.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Signing Dougie and re-signing Severson would do a good job of basically getting rid of it entirely
I'm not opposed to it, I just want to make that clear, I just don't want to trade away players like Smith to do it as was suggested, that's just nuts. I agree its ideal to have righties in the lineup hence why I was rooting for us to draft a couple this weekend.

Reactions: Hisch13r

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Where does it say this only works with multiple hall of famers?

I was gunna ignore this but since you decided to add a little dig, all I was saying is your example of the devils d-core back in the days was irrelevant cuz they had hof d-men, that's all (which is what zbc was saying too). Have a nice day.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Nah Ty can play 1st pair. I don't have faith in Graves playing 1st pair tbh.

I also question Graves on the 1st pair. I just loved the Smith-Severson pairing and I like the fit of a Graves-Dougie pairing

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I was gunna ignore this but since you decided to add a little dig, all I was saying is your example of the devils d-core back in the days was irrelevant cuz they had hof d-men, that's all (which is what zbc was saying too). Have a nice day.
Sorry, didn't meant to trigger ya, but I stand by what I said. You have a nice day too.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Luke can play the right side, as he is doing today in the USNTDP showcase game. Ty also played RD in juniors. And like I said, Luke and Ty are two completely different players.

I agree we need to add a RD, but if they sign Hamilton, this will greatly alleviate that problem.
Play wrong side in junior and in NHL is a different thing, as i said before. If they want to use Smith on the right side, they could do it when we have Kulikov and Murray for pairin him, bet they did not. I know some teams use their players, but this ruin part of offensive moves, because it is much harder to make safe pass, you cant protect the puck when you make zone entrance, its harder to win puck battles. etc. You can say "nhl player must do what he must do, it is his work, but opponents players do their job too. It`s much... very much easier to take away puck from a player who play on the wrong side.
And I dont like Idea to have Smith, Severson, Hughes and even Hamilton all together in top-4. This is what I dont like as a concept. These are my preferences. As it is. In winning teams, time_on_ice leaders are good at playing in their zone. At least the majority, not the minority.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I usually don't go nuts on hats, but I had to buy the Devils draft hat, I think its pretty sweet

thumb.aspx

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I really don't think it would be. The nightmare pairing is Graves-PK shooting pucks into guys shins all night

It depends on which Graves is the real one. The one I saw in the series against Vegas...I don't want him anywhere near Severson. I know people love to say the entire team was bad but that doesn't really make a player just suddenly play like a different player.

I think the bad shot selection is a real issue he has, not sure about the questionable offensive plays and pinches though. That might've just been Colorado's tactics. Severson has the same issue, although he's cleaned it up a lot under Ruff (no surprise there).

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
We have a lot of prospects on D that project to be defensive D . More complimentary pieces like Graves Bahl Muhk Ok . Then we have Smith and Severson who are good (not elite ) at both D and offensive then Hughes and hopefully Hamilton who are / will be elite at offence and transitioning the puck. I think we would have an amazing balance of D when our kids develop and add them to Severson Hamilton Graves

Future D of : ( not sure about pairings that would work the best)
Hughes Hamilton
Smith Graves
Severson Bahl

with 3-4 kids that could be as good or better than a Graves / Bahl .
That is actually a pretty damn good D core.
We could go from one of the worst D core to possibly a top 3-5 D core in two years .

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
It depends on which Graves is the real one. The one I saw in the series against Vegas...I don't want him anywhere near Severson. I know people love to say the entire team was bad but that doesn't really make a player just suddenly play like a different player.

I think the bad shot selection is a real issue he has, not sure about the questionable offensive plays and pinches though. That might've just been Colorado's tactics. Severson has the same issue, although he's cleaned it up a lot under Ruff (no surprise there).
Ruff IS familiar w ruff bc if their time on the rangers, so maybe he knows what to adjust

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Severson was so good last year that it makes me not worry

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Regardless of what happens, I think it's clear Fitz has a similar idea of what we need to improve the team as we do here, and he's doing what he can to make those moves.
The owners wanted this to happen more with Shero apparently, that coupled with not working with the analytics department much, along with 19-20 being a disaster got him canned.

you sign Hamilton to a 9-10 mil contact 7 years anytime he’s available. He’s a top 5 dman. He’s going to be elite for years and when the downgrade happens he will still be a number one. And by then you hope Luke is at his prime and elite like he should be (Baders model has Hamilton as a comparable to Luke).

3DB5AD87-57C7-4738-88FB-A4D73F513A6E.jpeg
4CCE2A8E-2598-4154-AA0D-517BE41141D3.png

Attachments

• 9D06BB9F-C56A-4EC4-9D71-A2313ED9FC3B.png
    9D06BB9F-C56A-4EC4-9D71-A2313ED9FC3B.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 1ADB841A-F601-4E0F-93C4-19438FF27FC3.png
    1ADB841A-F601-4E0F-93C4-19438FF27FC3.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
The reason Oleksiak turned heads and why he was such a good get for the Kraken was because he has size and puck moving ability.
Fair enough I do think this this player is worth the money. Hamilton contract is going to be a nightmare for some team. Hopefully not the devils. The guy is soft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad