Devils 2021 offseason (news, notes and speculation) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
the real question is, how long will have to wait. Will he be resigned on july 28 or will we have to wait.
If I had to guess, I'd bet we'll have to wait a few days. Hopefully though we get a clear answer ASAP.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Any potential new good news on the Dougie front?

Excluding Hamilton they have this contracts they have to re-sign. Their owner is stingy, and their starting point for Dougie was in the 6 million range.

If it’s a bidding war they will lose and we def spoke to Hamilton’s agent when Carolina gave Hamilton and teams permission to talk.

history could be on our side as well since last time Hamilton got lowballed he would not re-sign with the team though he could only get traded since he was a Bruins RFA.

it’s really all on Hamilton. If he wants a good contract no one can beat us when it comes to an offer, unless the canes decide to let some of the players below walk and throw money at him, which would be out of character for them.

171F86AD-6DC2-4297-946D-309BEA4997F4.jpeg

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The more I think about the more I think we really make a lot of sense for Hamilton. He can get paid handsomely, he will basically live in relative anonymity, and he can venture into the city for the museums and stuff that he got crapped on for previously.

I obviously don't know the guy personally so maybe I'm off here but I also feel going to such a young team would be good for him personality wise. He's not the young player surrounded by vet stars like in Boston where if you don't fit in there's more pressure. Now he's the star surrounded by a bunch of kids and it's easier to do his own thing

Reactions: Billdo

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
This is Dundon’s shtick- he cheaps out on his initial offer, waits for resistance, then comes back with a more generous offer. This is how they kept their GM and their coach. Sooner or later, this will backfire.

He should've did that with Ned.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
The more I think about the more I think we really make a lot of sense for Hamilton. He can get paid handsomely, he will basically live in relative anonymity, and he can venture into the city for the museums and stuff that he got crapped on for previously.

I'm pretty sure the museums thing isn't a real thing, but we do make a lot of sense

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The owners wanted this to happen more with Shero apparently, that coupled with not working with the analytics department much, along with 19-20 being a disaster got him canned.

you sign Hamilton to a 9-10 mil contact 7 years anytime he’s available. He’s a top 5 dman. He’s going to be elite for years and when the downgrade happens he will still be a number one. And by then you hope Luke is at his prime and elite like he should be (Baders model has Hamilton as a comparable to Luke).

View attachment 456109 View attachment 456111

While I don’t disagree with your premise, COL has three of the top defenders in terms of whatever analytics are applied to that list and yet they lost to VGK. I’m not sure what the correct answer is but this all seems as much as it is science to me. More alchemy than chemistry. COL isn’t shying away from its team building philosophy and at some point you expect it to pay off but it has yet to break through. My guess is if Hamilton passes on whatever CAR offers he probably will go to NJ short of another team matching NJ which would seem to be a limited number of teams that have that cap to spare.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
While I don’t disagree with your premise, COL has three of the top defenders in terms of whatever analytics are applied to that list and yet they lost to VGK. I’m not sure what the correct answer is but this all seems as much as it is science to me. More alchemy than chemistry. COL isn’t shying away from its team building philosophy and at some point you expect it to pay off but it has yet to break through. My guess is if Hamilton passes on whatever CAR offers he probably will go to NJ short of another team matching NJ which would seem to be a limited number of teams that have that cap to spare.

It's been one year for Colorado with all 3 and they lost to a great team in Vegas. If this keeps up for another decade then maybe there's something to that but I'm not going to get on them much for one year

Reactions: My3Sons

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019

fitz essentially has a blank check with Hamilton. It’s pretty evident he thinks Hamilton is a franchise changing dman, which he is.
Regarding colorado and Vegas, Vegas is also a top team and one of the top teams analytically. The scoring for Colorado dried up and it didn’t help that Colorado was missing a top 6 center, one that cost the leafs two series with the same type of reckless hitting that for him tossed from the playoffs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They can offer less and in the end its equal based on the cost of living in Jersey vs NC, it just might depend how much less it is then ours, if it's the reported 7 x $6.5M that Friedman is reporting, then I don't think that's going to do it.

What worries me is they buckle and offer 7x7.5 and that gets it done and this seems like a very likely outcome in my eyes.

I feel like if the 8x8 or 7x9 not being offered was such a deal breaker we would be hearing about sign and trade news. It just sounds like his camp is trying to make it work in Carolina and we are basically leverage and a fallback plan.

Reactions: Billdo

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
What worries me is they buckle and offer 7x7.5 and that gets it done and this seems like a very likely outcome in my eyes.

I feel like if the 8x8 or 7x9 not being offered was such a deal breaker we would be hearing about sign and trade news. It just sounds like his camp is trying to make it work in Carolina and we are basically leverage and a fallback plan.
What is their cap situation like (I'm not keen on following other teams caps)? That's got to be a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad