Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Pens fans would trade Hornqvist for Wood. I think he'd be a good fit on the right side of Hughes, but NJ would probably be one of the teams on his 8 team NTC.

Seems like a bad deal for NJ. Hornqvist is 33 and declining. Maybe Wood won’t return much, but I’d still think there’s a deal that makes more sense with NJ’s timeline than this.

Reactions: Guttersniped

The Rochester Rocket

Feb 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Why would we trade Wood for someone on the wrong side of 30? Unless picks and prospects were coming back with Hornqvist, that deal would make 0 sense.

Seems like a bad deal for NJ. Hornqvist is 33 and declining. Maybe Wood won’t return much, but I’d still think there’s a deal that makes more sense with NJ’s timeline than this.

of course they would. Trying to dump an aging winger that makes a good chunk of money. No thanks.

Hornqvist, since he's turned 30, has been scoring at 27 goals per 82 games pace only averaging 16 minutes a night. There are maybe 2 or 3 20 goal scorers currently on this roster. I think he's definitely still a top 6 guy and would only cost 2.8m more than Wood this year and 1.8 more next in real salary. He would help a lot in Hughes' development and replacing Palmieri's leadership if he were to leave.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Depends on how they want to do it. The moves I see most Toronto fans talk about is dumping Johnsson / Kerfoot and Andersen...but while that does cover Pie, it also leaves them without a goalie, so I don't know how that works.

Honestly, I don't get how it doesn't involve Nylander getting shipped out. The team is better with Pie over Nylander, and while it's not quite 1 for 1 in terms of salary, its the easiest way to get around the money and doesn't completely disrupt their depth to boot. Are they really going to trade off Kap / Johnsson / Kerfoot? They'd have a bottom six of almost entirely ELC type guys and Jason Spezza. And no goalie.

Nylander would be my target. If they’re desperate to move him for cap reasons the cost might not be prohibitive, but the other suitors on the market would probably drive that price right back up, unless everyone is $$$ conscious and there are only a few teams even willing to spend.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hornqvist, since he's turned 30, has been scoring at 27 goals per 82 games pace only averaging 16 minutes a night. There are maybe 2 or 3 20 goal scorers currently on this roster. I think he's definitely still a top 6 guy and would only cost 2.8m more than Wood this year and 1.8 more next in real salary. He would help a lot in Hughes' development and replacing Palmieri's leadership if he were to leave.

I think people need to realize that a 30 goal scorer on one team is likely a 10 goal scorer on this one. Palms might have 50 playing with Sid.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Some posters here don't even want to resign Palmieri because he's older.

Trading Wood for Hornqvist is a hard no from me. If we're closer to competing then yeah that's a trade that might make more sense but right now? I don't see.

Reactions: Darkauron

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

I understand your reasons but I’m looking to surround Hughes with players that will
Grow with him, not age out of the league. I’m also very concerned with what that 27 goal pace would turn into on this team.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
if we’re getting someone from pittsburgh it should be a goalie. i think wood + a reasonable add would get that done

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
on the goalies, you guys have to keep in mind that if we were to acquire a young goalie from a team like Pittsburgh (whichever one), then we would likely lose either that goalie or Blackwood in the expansion draft since we cannot protect 2.

Also, I know its been beaten to a pulp but I really don't know if they are actually going to get rid of Schneider (whether it be buy-out or in a trade for another bad contract).

For this offseason, I would much rather sign a vet in free agency than give up assets for a younger guy

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
on the goalies, you guys have to keep in mind that if we were to acquire a young goalie from a team like Pittsburgh (whichever one), then we would likely lose either that goalie or Blackwood in the expansion draft since we cannot protect 2.

Also, I know its been beaten to a pulp but I really don't know if they are actually going to get rid of Schneider (whether it be buy-out or in a trade for another bad contract).

For this offseason, I would much rather sign a vet in free agency than give up assets for a younger guy
I'll be surprised if they buy out Schneider. I think they keep him, bring in a vet and have them battle it out for the backup spot. Whoever doesn't get it goes down to Bing so long as they pass through waivers which Cory obviously would.

Reactions: Darkauron

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Binghamton is unlikely to be playing this coming year which may actually help Schneider stick around - if he can just be an alternate-site goalie, that could work.

Still, they would save real money buying Cory out, and real money saved will be good.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Is it wrong of me to expect one of the late picks to be moved, and if it doesnt Id be upset?

I just dont see the need to draft three 18 year olds in the 1st when were already so young and need slightly older talent to surround our two 1OAs with

Reactions: Billdo and MichaelJ

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Is it wrong of me to expect one of the late picks to be moved, and if it doesnt Id be upset?

I just dont see the need to draft three 18 year olds in the 1st when were already so young and need slightly older talent to surround our two 1OAs with

Normally yes, but with the NHL season likely to be shortened and played in front of no fans, I think the calculus has changed considerably. Fitzgerald should hang on to all 3 picks.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

That is fine but how do you know another team is going to be trading players in their early 20's? Teams rarely trade those players and if they do they want a premium. IMO the salary cap issues posters seem to think are out there are likely overblown. I am not really seeing teams other than TBL that have big time cap problems. It seems like most teams can fix their cap problems by trading older players. The cap is only down by about $2 mil from what the GMs were anticipating this year.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Its not wrong of you but myself looking on the other side... if we don’t get a proven young player for one of those later 1sts (who is giving that up?), why not keep both picks and up your chance that we find the diamond in the rough that turns out to be the player years from now people say should’ve been drafted in the top 5 of this draft? STI keeps saying there are very high Upside wingers in that range, so why take 2 of them since we are still lite on high end/ top 6 talent.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I also would be on board with, instead of drafting twice late, trading 18 and 20 for something like one of 8/9/10 and a late 2nd or early 3rd if we like someone that slips out the top-7

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Should we really be putting any assets at all besides cash into a backup goalie?

wood is expendable, and i wouldn’t cry over losing a 3rd next year. but yeah if the price is prohibitive, it doesn’t make sense.

that’s a good point, f***

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
18 + 20 would not get you into the top 10 in all likelihood

Maybe not to single digits, but could easily get you to 10-12 depending on if the teams' draft boards. I wouldn't pay that price to get up to that spot though unless someone really good dropped out.

I'd rather just keep 18 & 20 or trade down a few spots from 20 and try to pick up another pick or two.

Reactions: nugg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad