Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
You’d be paying a premium for that extra year. You guys are pretty thin on picks over the next few years, so it would probably have to be a prospect.

Unless the Oilers do something dumb, I just don't see it. At this point, no one has any idea of what the cap will look like 3 years from now. If it stays flat-ish, Neal's contract is a way bigger problem then vs now.

IMO, the Devils should be looking at taking on short-term cap dumps and building assets from that. Neal doesn't work.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
IMO, the Devils should be looking at taking on short-term cap dumps and building assets from that. Neal doesn't work.

If the internal cap is real, I'd rather just give up assets for quality players who are priced out of their current teams, tbh. The only type of cap dumps I want are fluff ones - higher cap hits with minimal salary that don't really impact the internal budget. Someone like Kris Russell, for example. 4 million cap, but only 1.5 on the real dollars. A move like that doesn't really impact the real dollar spending so we could add that on for a small asset and basically still spend to our internal budget if applicable. If the internal cap it 75, we basically have 6.5 in cap fluff we could use up too

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If the internal cap is real, I'd rather just give up assets for quality players who are priced out of their current teams, tbh. The only type of cap dumps I want are fluff ones - higher cap hits with minimal salary that don't really impact the internal budget. Someone like Kris Russell, for example. 4 million cap, but only 1.5 on the real dollars. A move like that doesn't really impact the real dollar spending so we could add that on for a small asset and basically still spend to our internal budget if applicable. If the internal cap it 75, we basically have 6.5 in cap fluff we could use up too

I'm not sure how much that internal cap affects us. Didn't we spent nowhere near that last year?

I think maybe it's better to not blow our entire wad in one off-season anyway. Keep some powder dry for next year's where there may be more (or at least different) options (presuming we don't have an internal cap next year).

Reactions: My3Sons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Where was it reported that we have an internal budget? The owners are rich as hell. Why put the couple million dollar squeeze on the team?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'm not sure how much that internal cap affects us. Didn't we spent nowhere near that last year?

If we are spending less than the cap, then yes, it affects us and its something we have to keep in mind when building the team. Is it any different from prior years? No, but I'm pretty sure we were in an even better situation cap wise last year. We went to like 75 last year and added Goose's cap hit, 9 million from Subban, and Simmonds. That's actually far more than we could add this year in cap if we are sticking to the same 75M and don't dump some of these deals.

Dead weight contracts for assets could constitute a third to half of our available cap space if those are the type of deals that we make. I'm trying to get better immediately and in the future. So give me the quality young guys who are priced out, even if it means that I have to give up a real asset to get them.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Where was it reported that we have an internal budget? The owners are rich as hell. Why put the couple million dollar squeeze on the team?

Todd Cordell says he's heard it's 75M. Makes sense. I think most of the teams will be on an internal budget of real cash.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
If Toronto is really going all in on Pietrangelo, what contract do we want to take off their hands?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
If Toronto is really going all in on Pietrangelo, what contract do we want to take off their hands?

Depends on how they want to do it. The moves I see most Toronto fans talk about is dumping Johnsson / Kerfoot and Andersen...but while that does cover Pie, it also leaves them without a goalie, so I don't know how that works.

Honestly, I don't get how it doesn't involve Nylander getting shipped out. The team is better with Pie over Nylander, and while it's not quite 1 for 1 in terms of salary, its the easiest way to get around the money and doesn't completely disrupt their depth to boot. Are they really going to trade off Kap / Johnsson / Kerfoot? They'd have a bottom six of almost entirely ELC type guys and Jason Spezza. And no goalie.

Reactions: MichaelJ

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

I think maybe it's better to not blow our entire wad in one off-season anyway. Keep some powder dry for next year's where there may be more (or at least different) options (presuming we don't have an internal cap next year).
Devils played about $5 mil under the cap last November. Basically the internal cap Cordell reports is what we opened the season at last year.

Reactions: Nubmer6

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Agree.

I think I misstated my post. I’m not really for cap dumps at this point. I think the Devils should try to improve the team immediately, and not just look to acquire future assets. But, if we’re talking about cap dumps, then they need to be short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad