Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Akira is a long-shot?

That's not what many of us said when he was drafted.
I actually have high hopes for him, but he's got to start playing. Last year was injury plagued, and this year is looking bleak for playing time with the virus and all.

Reactions: glenwo2

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Haha, and the last two before that were Carey Price and Tuukka Rask.
Rask went 21st overall (I’d be totally fine with Askarov at 18/20).

Price is more of a cautionary tale than he is an example of what elite goaltending can do for a team. The Habs have never even made a Cup run with him. And that contract is insane.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't know if we're at the point where we can gamble spending a 1st round pick on a goalie, even if we have 3 of them this year. Obviously there is no such thing as a "given" with any pick (especially once you get outside the top 10-15 picks) but using one on the most difficult position to predict when we still have needs at forward and defense seems pretty risky.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
I don't know if we're at the point where we can gamble spending a 1st round pick on a goalie, even if we have 3 of them this year. Obviously there is no such thing as a "given" with any pick (especially once you get outside the top 10-15 picks) but using one on the most difficult position to predict when we still have needs at forward and defense seems pretty risky.

At #18 or #20 Askarov would be no-brainer. At that position a lot of forwards and defencemen bust entirely.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I think you balance the risk inherent in drafting a goaltender against the scouts that say this guy is a generational talent. That is not something that was said about Al Montoya or Malcolm Subban. There are risks with every pick, but few picks outside the top 10 offer the upside of Askarov.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I think you balance the risk inherent in drafting a goaltender against the scouts that say this guy is a generational talent. That is not something that was said about Al Montoya or Malcolm Subban. There are risks with every pick, but few picks outside the top 10 offer the upside of Askarov.
No but they said it about Rick DiPietro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad