Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Yeah, Shero looked pissed.

But the types of mistakes he's talking about...the staff has worked with most of these guys for 2-3 years and the players still aren't automatic on the basics? How is that not symptomatic of a bad environment? It'd be one thing if it was Bratt, Hughes, Subban, etc. - creative types - making poor decisions. But everyone on this team does dumb shit and it's a hard argument to make that this is mainly on the players.

I hope the Fitz thing works but I doubt it.

Reactions: glenwo2

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah, Shero looked pissed.

But the types of mistakes he's talking about...the staff has worked with most of these guys for 2-3 years and the players still aren't automatic on the basics? How is that not symptomatic of a bad environment? It'd be one thing if it was Bratt, Hughes, Subban, etc. - creative types - making poor decisions. But everyone on this team does dumb **** and it's a hard argument to make that this is mainly on the players.

I hope the Fitz thing works but I doubt it.

Which is why his right hand man is down there. Why aren’t they getting it? It is Hynes? The players?

He needs to know what is exactly wrong in the locker room to figure out how to fix it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Which is why his right hand man is down there. Why aren’t they getting it? It is Hynes? The players?

He needs to know what is exactly wrong in the locker room to figure out how to fix it.
If he needs Fitzgerald to stand on the ice or bench to figure that out, we are in an even worse situation than anyone can image. If we need Fitzgerald to be there to figure out what's going on he probably should be the GM not Shero.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Dislike...

Watching Sheros address to the media today, he looks like a combination of nervous and ready to explode infuriated. I would not want to be a player on this team and run into him right now.
You can be Hynes though and you’ll get an expensive dinner and pat on the back and 5 other coaches brought in to help.

Reactions: mdj12784

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm always glad when Patty's around but man there are gonna be a LOT of cooks in the kitchen the next little while. Hynes, Nas, Kowalsky, Grier, Fitz and Patty. I'm not even counting Melanson since he's a goalie guy.
A couple of these guys aren't even cooks.

Kowalsky wouldn't even be a bus boy.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If we deal Hall, we better finesse a Brannstrom or Girard level defensive prospect out of the deal.

We could still be in solid shape moving forward without Hall, as much as he would be terrific to keep around.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If we deal Hall, we better finesse a Brannstrom or Girard level defensive prospect out of the deal.

We could still be in solid shape moving forward without Hall, as much as he would be terrific to keep around.

We will have to see how things unfold as Friedman did say the team’s priority is to keep him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Agreed.

Kowalsky could screw up cheese and crackers. He’d probably cut his own thumb off.
Shero almost seemed to imply Fitzgerald is here to maybe help the PP (among other things) and maybe even the PK too.

Not that it means shit, but I hope Kowalsky is banished to the press box for tomorrow's game and Fitzgerald is on the bench. That might mean Kowalsky's role is decreased or maybe it doesn't. I doubt they'll have all of the existing coaches on the bench along with Fitzgerald. They might just put Fitzgerald upstairs for the games.
It is a shame cause kowalsky was pretty good in the ahl. But PP is not his Forte at all
I always thought he was average at best in the AHL.

He did have a lot of shitty teams, but I never bought the hype. I remember talk of ''Kowalsky might start getting enough recognition soon where he's interviewed for NHL head coaching positions, if we don't promote him to an assistant'' even before we promoted him. As well as calls to promote him to interim head coach or head coach outright during the first cries to fire Hynes back in 2016. I was always very against that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Naturally.

Sykora drives that bus anyway. :devdance:
If his driving skills are anything like his coaching ability, he probably lost his license a long time ago, if he ever even passed the driving test in the first place.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
You know we are embarrassingly bad when our assistant GM is having to be at a team practice. We need to win like 4 games straight to get somewhat back out of this hole.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Edmonton has $57.5 million tied up in NINE players next year lol think about that
I believe it's 10, may have missed Larsson since he's on LTIR rn. But anyways, HOLY SHIT they're not in good shape. ~25 million to sign Nurse and Bear to RFA deals. As well as sign 8 forwards, 2 more dmen, and a goalie. If they wanted Hall they'd have to sign a dozen guys at league minimum. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Its a similar reason why Lou would go down a coach though

Let’s not pretend Lou didn’t do stuff like this in his own way.

Oh Lou definitely had moles on the staff (Mac among them when he was an assistant under a million different coaches), he just didn't publicly advertise them in this way. But just about any coach in NJ didn't get his pick of the entire staff for a reason with Lou.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Oh Lou definitely had moles on the staff (Mac among them when he was an assistant under a million different coaches), he just didn't publicly advertise them in this way. But just about any coach in NJ didn't get his pick of the entire staff for a reason with Lou.

I don’t get people’s issue with telling the press. They had to. Do we really think they would just stick Fitz at practice and behind the bench and just hope no one noticed?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don’t get people’s issue with telling the press. They had to. Do we really think they would just stick Fitz at practice and behind the bench and just hope no one noticed?

Then they'd be accused of being too secretive.:laugh:

People are just pissed off right now (rightfully so) and lashing out at everything.

Reactions: devilsblood

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Then they'd be accused of being too secretive.:laugh:

People are just pissed off right now (rightfully so) and lashing out at everything.

Change is coming one way or another. I am not going to fault management for doing their due diligence.

It’s not like our permanent replacement is out there available right now. The next HC will most likely be someone that gets fired from another team between now and the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad