Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If Fitz can't see that:
A) Subban-Severson is an absolute terrible pair
B) Severson should be no where near our first pair
C) Mueller is a stabilizer in terms of defending (GA/60 has shown that)

He should pack his **** too and gtfo alongside Hynes.

And it's quite funny how Greene got absolutely disrespected on this board because apparently he was bringing down Severson with his play. Now that Severson plays with an actual #2 defenseman, people are quickly realizing that maybe it was Severson that was bringing down his previous partners. As someone mentioned, Greene and Subban as a pair were doing well relatively speaking.
given that I agee Sev's to be off (edit) top pair,

I think right now I go

Mueller Subban- Try to recapture what was working with Greene Subban. And it's the only non Sev's option.
Butcher Vat's- Been good thus far
Carrick Sev's. Sev's is not has bad as he has been, but he does need to stabilize(stealing your word here) his game. Get him some easy minutes.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Butcher should play on the PP with Subban.

Butcher is a very good QB and a very good passer. He can be what Markov was to Subban in Montreal on the PP.

Thankfully 2 D PPs are a thing of the past. You won't see the Devils run a PP1 with 2 D unless something has gone horribly wrong.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Thankfully 2 D PPs are a thing of the past. You won't see the Devils run a PP1 with 2 D unless something has gone horribly wrong.
I don't understand this way of thinking. If the best available player for a position on the PP is a D man, it's ok. If there is a d-man who is great at 1 Ts and distributing the puck he should be on the power play, if there is more than one, it's ok to have both. I get it used to be the standard to have 2 d-man, and now it is standard to not do that. No idea why there is such a need to pick a side on "the old way" vs "the new way," just put the best PP unit together that you can, with what you have.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I don't understand this way of thinking. If the best available player for a position on the PP is a D man, it's ok. If there is a d-man who is great at 1 Ts and distributing the puck he should be on the power play, if there is more than one, it's ok to have both. I get it used to be the standard to have 2 d-man, and now it is standard to not do that. No idea why there is such a need to pick a side on "the old way" vs "the new way," just put the best PP unit together that you can, with what you have.

It's the "New" NHL. Everything that use to work in the past doesn't work anymore!!!!

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Wait so no one is using 2 D anymore, is that actually true?
Probably makes sense in most circumstances but people know there are exceptions to everything right?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Yeah I also don’t get if you have enough D men that could run a PP why it’s anethma to have two on the PP. I could see a PP with Butcher distributing and Subban shooting, and they could still use Vat with four forwards on the other PP. Unless it’s just a matter of trying to keep minutes down for the defensemen.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Because it's very unlikely that your best PP unit has 2 defensemen. Forwards are better shooters than defensemen and they're used to shooting from closer. Butcher does not have a good shot.

The Devils have basically gone with 4F and 1D on their PP for 20 years. There have been times where they've deviated but that's been the prevailing formation.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Because it's very unlikely that your best PP unit has 2 defensemen. Forwards are better shooters than defensemen and they're used to shooting from closer. Butcher does not have a good shot.

The Devils have basically gone with 4F and 1D on their PP for 20 years. There have been times where they've deviated but that's been the prevailing formation.
I'm pretty sure Subban has a better shot than at least one or two of our top 6 guys. So if he was down lower with someone like Butch or Sevs QBing, it could work. All that said, I think our PP line ups they way they have been, player wise, are fine. They just need to work together better or come up with a better system. Shoot more and stop going for highlight reel passes.

I just hate the idea that 2 D PP is unthinkable and should never be considered because it's "the old way."

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I'm pretty sure Subban has a better shot than at least one or two of our top 6 guys. So if he was down lower with someone like Butch or Sevs QBing, it could work. All that said, I think our PP line ups they way they have been, player wise, are fine. They just need to work together better or come up with a better system. Shoot more and stop going for highlight reel passes.

I just hate the idea that 2 D PP is unthinkable and should never be considered because it's "the old way."

Butcher has an underrated wrist shot. He is our best defenseman at wristing it from the point.

Reactions: JK3

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Wait so no one is using 2 D anymore, is that actually true?
Probably makes sense in most circumstances but people know there are exceptions to everything right?

Teams are still using 2 D, especially on their PP2. Few teams are using 2 D on their PP1. Those that are generally get worse results.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I know! Let's put all our shooters (Hall, Palms, PK, Simmonds) on PP1, and all our passers on PP2! That'll work, right??
:huh:

Reactions: Tretyak 20

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
So far this season I generally dislike PK being the D on PP1. At least with how they've used him on there. The guy appears to be not much more than a trigger man, and only for 1 timers. Haven't really liked his decisions with the puck and the fake slapshot crap, which after 10 years in the league he's not getting anyone to bite on any more. The one time I remember him actually taking the shot was when he waited an eternity, got the fwd lined up ready to block the shot...and instead of using the fake there and passing it off he just blasts it directly into the shinguards and there's a breakaway the other way.

From the little we saw of it last game I much prefer Vatanen in that spot. More mobile and better decisions.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So far this season I generally dislike PK being the D on PP1. At least with how they've used him on there. The guy appears to be not much more than a trigger man, and only for 1 timers. Haven't really liked his decisions with the puck and the fake slapshot crap, which after 10 years in the league he's not getting anyone to bite on any more. The one time I remember him actually taking the shot was when he waited an eternity, got the fwd lined up ready to block the shot...and instead of using the fake there and passing it off he just blasts it directly into the shinguards and there's a breakaway the other way.

From the little we saw of it last game I much prefer Vatanen in that spot. More mobile and better decisions.
If we're going to keep the other players the same, I'd actually rather have Butcher on PP1 to distribute the puck to the shooters. Stick PK on PP2 with players who can set him up for that one-timer. PP2 is actually fun to watch but could really use a trigger-man or two.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
He said, Butcher has an underrated wrist shot. He is our best defenseman at wristing it from the point.

giphy.gif

FlyingWood

Jul 9, 2016
My first feeling for Simmonds in the summer was exited because i was sure he is gonna be that fireball for this team with mean a**hole role, but i guess i was wrong with that opinion.

I don't know... Starting third period against Florida with a fight. Could have been a different story at the end of the game.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
My first feeling for Simmonds in the summer was exited because i was sure he is gonna be that fireball for this team with mean a**hole role, but i guess i was wrong with that opinion.

I don't know... Starting third period against Florida with a fight. Could have been a different story at the end of the game.
Ya I agree, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a fight, it can be, as you said, him just being an a-hole, which perhaps gets them off their game while hopefully firing our guys up.

Now that can be a fine line as you don't want to take a penalty, which is a line a guy like Wood crosses a bit too much, but a vet like Simmonds should know what he can get away with out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad