Devils 2019-20 preseason thread (team discussion, news and notes) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
So you want to sit a guy who by your own statement is better suited for the job in case there is an injury? That makes even less sense to me.
I think that major factors of a 4th liners role is to be aggressive on the forecheck, pressure the defense, and provide energy. I think Boqvist can do all those things just fine, plus they might be able to squeeze some 2nd PP time in for him. If that's how he starts the year then I don't think it doesn't make sense. I definitely don't think we should hand that spot to Wood just because he's less skilled. Besides, I don't know how anyone can say he isn't earning his spot right now. I was at the game last night and outside of the top line, he might have been the only one playing well.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
This is just not the reality of the situation...they will play 9 minutes to 12 minutes a night and playing with Wood and Zacha would require a completely different style of play than playing with Hughes and Bratt.

You are going to take a guy and stick him with two grinders for 10 minutes a night and wonder why he isn't producing... it's not a good situation and we have seen that scenario played out before.

You're acting like Zacha & Wood are two 1970s enforcers with no offensive skill at all, which is weird.

It's not going to "stunt" Boqvist playing with Wood & Zacha in the least.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think that major factors of a 4th liners role is to be aggressive on the forecheck, pressure the defense, and provide energy. I think Boqvist can do all those things just fine, plus they might be able to squeeze some 2nd PP time in for him. If that's how he starts the year then I don't think it doesn't make sense. I definitely don't think we should hand that spot to Wood just because he's less skilled. Besides, I don't know how anyone can say he isn't earning his spot right now. I was at the game last night and outside of the top line, he might have been the only one playing well.
For lack of a better analogy this seems like wanting to sit an offensive tackle because you really want a 5th receiver in the lineup..

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I do believe that Shero has been involved in some trade talks and that a move could be made soon. I think he's looking for a way to get that LHD to play with Subban.

source.gif

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
i can’t seriously see him in either powerplay group unless we have injuries.

the way he’s been used in preseason, i feel like him being on the 2nd PP unit is almost a given.

PP1: Hall, Palmieri, Subban, Hughes, Simmonds

PP2: Bratt, Hischier, Boqvist, Gusev, Butcher

sucks for Zacha, but maybe he sneaks his way into one of those.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You're acting like Zacha & Wood are two 1970s enforcers with no offensive skill at all, which is weird.

It's not going to "stunt" Boqvist playing with Wood & Zacha in the least.
This is the essence of the problem as I see it....we have lots of guys who bring what Boqvist does who are better at it...we don't have any guys that bring what Wood does. If Boqvist should be in the lineup he should be replacing a player that he is better than for the job description....we have lots of scapels
and almost no hammers and most seem to want to add another scapels at the expense of a hammer.

This doesn't seem like a good plan to me.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
This is the essence of the problem as I see it....we have lots of guys who bring what Boqvist does who are better at it...we don't have any guys that bring what Wood does. If Boqvist should be in the lineup he should be replacing a player that he is better than for the job description....we have lots of scapels
and almost no hammers and most seem to want to add another scapels at the expense of a hammer.

This doesn't seem like a good plan to me.

If a guy like Bastian or Hayden was close in impact to Boqvist then I'd agree but he blows away all the other options

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
the way he’s been used in preseason, i feel like him being on the 2nd PP unit is almost a given.

PP1: Hall, Palmieri, Subban, Hughes, Simmonds

PP2: Bratt, Hischier, Boqvist, Gusev, Butcher

sucks for Zacha, but maybe he sneaks his way into one of those.

Zacha doesn’t really have a place on the PP this year. Maybe as an extra shooter, but I rather the overall better player on there then a guy just to fit a role.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
One could argue that right now Wood isn't even bringing what Wood brings to the table, so giving Boqvist 4th line + second PP minutes isn't the worst alternative.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If a guy like Bastian or Hayden was close in impact to Boqvist then I'd agree but he blows away all the other options
Honestly what you are saying seems so foreign to me....you seem to be looking at everyone as just a group of forwards and that is not at all how I see it.
A team is comprised of lots of different components with lots of different attributes....we can't have 12 sub 200lbs under 6' skilled forwards and 6 offensive puck moving defensemen.

Talk about replacing Wood Boqvist or vice versa is nonsensical in my mind it's like saying savory and sweet it's all food and jelly is better than mustard so put on the meatloaf and like it.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Right now I would go with:

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Gusev-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-Zacha-Simmonds

Reactions: Missionhockey

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Honestly what you are saying seems so foreign to me....you seem to be looking at everyone as just a group of forwards and that is not at all how I see it.
A team is comprised of lots of different components with lots of different attributes....we can't have 12 sub 200lbs under 6' skilled forwards and 6 offensive puck moving defensemen.

Talk about replacing Wood Boqvist or vice versa is nonsensical in my mind it's like saying savory and sweet it's all food and jelly is better than mustard so put on the meatloaf and like it.

I want the best hockey players on the ice playing hockey and Boqvist is a better hockey player than all the other bubble guys. You're acting like the team is full of small guys who can't play defense. Hall, Nico, Zajac, Zacha, Simmonds, Wood, Boqvist all 6 feet or taller. Then guys like Palmieri and Coleman who play bigger than they are. Hall, Nico, Zacha, Zajac, Coleman, Palmieri all at least solid defensively

Reactions: Bleedred

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Gusev-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-Zacha-Simmonds
That's not bad... I'd be shocked though if they put a $5 million dollar contract on the 4th line to start the season

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Gusev-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-Zacha-Simmonds

That's been what I've wanted for a long time now. I'd also like that with Zacha and Coleman swapped

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
if boqvist is on the team, it should mean someone will be traded away, probably for some defensive help. i’d be ok with that

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No, I’m playing Miles Wood as 4th line RW as he did for a significant part of last season.
I think Bastian is a better option honestly...Handedness alone makes me more inclined to go with Bastian on the right side.. then there is size which I think this lineup is lacking. Simmonds there could be interesting. Seems weird to spend 5m on 4th line RW though

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That's not bad... I'd be shocked though if they put a $5 million dollar contract on the 4th line to start the season
I don't think Hynes cares about how much Simmonds was paid on a 1 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad