Devils 2019-20 preseason thread (team discussion, news and notes) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
He has been poor. Seems very unsure of himself in the defensive zone and a step behind as a result. Much different than camp last season. I hope he can find his groove this week but he has been outplayed by Carrick to this point
Thanks for the info. And it's assumed Simmonds is getting 3rd line duties most of the year, or is there a chance he plays his way into a top 6 role?

You guys are looking awfully deep up front, if you can imrpove that D a little more the future is bright in NJ

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
could see hughes/gusev being weak defensively so it might make sense to put hughes and hall together but i think i like hall and hischier together better personally

I know 9-13-21 is great but that's one of the main reasons I want to put Palmieri with Hughes/Gusev instead.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't think that would be a good idea. I just don't see how he easily fits unless you do some major juggling to get him in...and one of Bratt, Coleman or Simmonds would have to be the odd man out...I don't see that as a good situation either.

The team is better with Boqvist than without him. I don't care if that pushes someone down the lineup. Having too much depth because you have a bunch of impact players is a good thing not a bad one

Reactions: HBK27

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Hall-Nico-Palmieri
Gusev-Hughes-Bratt
Coleman-Zajac-Simmonds
Boqvist-Zacha-Wood

Vatanen-Subban
Butcher-Severson
Greene-Carrick
I like it though I think they'll give Smith a chance in the regular season before sending him back. I also would switch Palmieri and Bratt so that line doesn't get overwhelmed in the d-zone.

ppl will be worried about Boqvist's time but I think they can run the lines more evenly and he'll be on PP2 so I think it'll be fine

Reactions: Owenay

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think Boqvist on the 4th line makes very little sense.

Even if he starts on the 4th line it's not like he is forever stuck there. Lines get shuffled. Guys get injured. He can impress and get moved up. If it doesn't work during the season then send him to Sweden. Not having him on the team to start the year makes no sense.

Reactions: HBK27 and Owenay

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Even if he starts on the 4th line it's not like he is forever stuck there. Lines get shuffled. Guys get injured. He can impress and get moved up. If it doesn't work during the season then send him to Sweden. Not having him on the team to start the year makes no sense.
Putting him in a shitty situation is worse than not playing him.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
That would be the most talented “4th line” I can remember this team icing in a while. Was your expectation that he’d be playing on the top line? This team will roll 4 lines with the talent they have throughout. And this is only even strength, not even considering PP time.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
More likely.

Hall-Nico-Palms
Gusev-Hughes-Simmonds
Boqvist-Zajac-Bratt
Coleman-Zacha-xxx

Will be easier to shelter the Hughes like since the Zajac line is no slouch offensively.
I would bet money that that bottom six would be ineffective. It's a force fit with the entire bottom 6 mismatched. Zajac brings nothing to players like Bratt and Boqvist...coleman would work anywhere but I am not sure he and Zacha is a fit...it never makes sense to blow up 3 lines to retrofit a single player.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Based on the forwards left I'd say
Hayden and Rooney 13th/14th forwards.
McLeod first callup if something happens to a Center, Bastian if something happens to a winger

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That would be the most talented “4th line” I can remember this team icing in a while. Was your expectation that he’d be playing on the top line? This team will roll 4 lines with the talent they have throughout. And this is only even strength, not even considering PP time.
No my expectation is if he is not better than the top 3 LW's he's not in the lineup.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

agreed 100%, but i don’t want to re-hash the whole thing. one thing pretty much everyone can agree on is that he had a strong camp/preseason, and that’s just f***ing awesome regardless of what happens. we may have too many top 6 forwards, but i’m sure we’ll see injuries as we do every year

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
No my expectation is if he is not better than the top 3 LW's he's not in the lineup.
It’s not a matter of who’s “better”, it’s who fits where. Hall will be with Nico, Gusev will be with Hughes, and Coleman will likely be with Zajac. If he doesn’t move to RW, I don’t see where else he slots in. He will also help the PP.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It’s not a matter of who’s “better”, it’s who fits where. Hall will be with Nico, Gusev will be with Hughes, and Coleman will likely be with Zajac. If he doesn’t move to RW, I don’t see where else he slots in. He will also help the PP.
I agree with this somewhat...fit is extremely important, that goes to "better" doesn't it?

But I think putting a skilled young player on the 4th line is a major mistake...that's the line that is going to see limited minutes, when benches get shortened they are the first to sit, he will be playing with less skilled players and be forced to play a style that might not work for him and he have to play more in the trenches from the 4th line....why set the kid up for failure?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
But I think putting a skilled young player on the 4th line is a major mistake...that's the line that is going to see limited minutes, when benches get shortened they are the first to sit, he will be playing with less skilled players and be forced to play a style that might not work for him and he have to play more in the trenches from the 4th line....why set the kid up for failure?

I think this is one of those overblown hockey sayings. I just dont see it logically.

Maybe if if was 15 years ago, and there was hitting & fighting in hockey, but the game is not that anymore.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I think he deserves a top 9 spot, but not sure why people are so against having Boqvist at least start out on the 4th line

There’s still that stigma that the 4th line is reserved for grinders and bangers.

If we rolled out a 4th line of Boqvist-Zacha-Wood, that’s an incredible problem to have since it means our top 9 is fully healthy and talented.

Reactions: HBK27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad