Devils 2019-20 preseason thread (team discussion, news and notes) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
@DerekDevils30 you may be right, nico hitting 80 points. but my prediction is hughes is our #1C by the end of the year. i’ve already seen more offensive ability from him than nico, who could wind up being one of the best 2C’s in the league in a year or two. it’s fun having options again

Reactions: My3Sons

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
@DerekDevils30 you may be right, nico hitting 80 points. but my prediction is hughes is our #1C by the end of the year. i’ve already seen more offensive ability from him than nico, who could wind up being one of the best 2C’s in the league in a year or two. it’s fun having options again

If Hughes indeed blossoms into that type of player this soon, we are going to be an absolute nightmare. You can tell Nico really worked hard this offseason. He's ready to explode

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Maybe I'd feel different during the year but Hall/Nico and Gusev/Hughes makes much more sense to me than switching them

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Hall/Nico and Gusev/Hughes makes much more sense to me than switching them

what are you basing that on? there’s a relatively small sample size to go off of, and hall and hughes looked amazing together

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I am not sure it matters who Hughes plays with. If he continues to make plays like he did the other night he will be wildly successful. I might even be inclined to keep Nico and Hall together and let them face the best defenses allowing Hughes a bit more room. I don't think it really makes a difference #1 or #2 C in that type of scenario

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Maybe I'd feel different during the year but Hall/Nico and Gusev/Hughes makes much more sense to me than switching them

It may just end up being a 1a/1b scenario as the season wears on. If we even get to that point, look out league. Balance that with the defensively responsible Zajac and Zacha anchoring our bottom 6, and we are golden. I get goosebumps just thinking about it

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It may just end up being a 1a/1b scenario as the season wears on. If we even get to that point, look out league. Balance that with the defensively responsible Zajac and Zacha anchoring our bottom 6, and we are golden. I get goosebumps just thinking about it
Coleman is going to get 30 from the 3rd line :)

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I am not sure it matters who Hughes plays with. If he continues to make plays like he did the other night he will be wildly successful. I might even be inclined to keep Nico and Hall together and let them face the best defenses allowing Hughes a bit more room. I don't think it really makes a difference #1 or #2 C in that type of scenario

i agree, that’s how the season should start, giving hughes easier matchups. but i just have a feeling we’ll be seeing hughes on the first line with hall by march. he’s incredibly gifted and it doesn’t seem like he’ll need his hand held all that much

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Coleman is going to get 30 from the 3rd line :)

Is your 3rd line Coleman-Zajac-Simmonds?

I really liked the Boqvist-Zajac-Bratt line in the one game but Coleman is definitely a 3rd liner and shouldn't be on the 4th although he may be if Jesper makes the team

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
i agree, that’s how the season should start, giving hughes easier matchups. but i just have a feeling we’ll be seeing hughes on the first line with hall by march. he’s incredibly gifted and it doesn’t seem like he’ll need his hand held all that much
We have to trade Hall by March :sarcasm:

Reactions: MartyOwns

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Is your 3rd line Coleman-Zajac-Simmonds?

I really liked the Boqvist-Zajac-Bratt line in the one game but Coleman is definitely a 3rd liner and shouldn't be on the 4th although he may be if Jesper makes the team
I think I like
Hall Nico Bratt
Gusev Hughes Palmieri
Coleman Zajac Simmonds
Wood Zacha and honestly I would like Bastian on this wing.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Hey guys, how has Ty Smith looked? Think he will stick this year?

He has been poor. Seems very unsure of himself in the defensive zone and a step behind as a result. Much different than camp last season. I hope he can find his groove this week but he has been outplayed by Carrick to this point

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hughes doesn’t need Hall to have big numbers. He can blow up alongside Gusev. We saw how they looked in the first preseason game together and we know what they can do apart.

Plus they will get more mismatches as teams will still focus on Hall first.

We also shouldn’t suddenly pretend that Hall/Nico hasn’t been a very lucrative partnership.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
could see hughes/gusev being weak defensively so it might make sense to put hughes and hall together but i think i like hall and hischier together better personally

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Hughes doesn’t need Hall to have big numbers. He can blow up alongside Gusev. We saw how they looked in the first preseason game together and we know what they can do apart.

Plus they will get more mismatches as teams will still focus on Hall first.

We also shouldn’t suddenly pretend that Hall/Nico hasn’t been a very lucrative partnership.

Nico has been Hall's conscience away from the puck. Playing with Hall as a 18 year old rookie is a lot to ask on the defensive side of things. Although if Nico could do it 2 seasons ago, maybe Hughes can too.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sending Boqvist back to Europe?
I don't think that would be a good idea. I just don't see how he easily fits unless you do some major juggling to get him in...and one of Bratt, Coleman or Simmonds would have to be the odd man out...I don't see that as a good situation either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->