Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Dea was claimed in part because of his penalty killing.

How do our PK'ers currently rank on the team? Henrique (2:51) and Gibbons (2:47) had the highest PK TOI last season.

Zajac (2:19) and Coleman (2:08) were next and it's safe to assume they are the top pair. Grabner (ugh) is next - let's not talk about that disaster.

After that it's Bratt (1:03) and Zacha (1:02) and I think it's safe to say they're the 2nd pair.

Palmieri (0:42), Hischier (0:31), Boyle (0:15), Rooney (0:14) are the only others with more than 6 seconds.

I think Hischier may have been considered, though Hynes likely wants to save the top line to come out together after the kill. Rooney seems clearly gone after this, not sure if Boyle or Noesen can step up into the 5th/6th penalty killers (keeping in mind you go to top 4 if once of those guys is in the box). So, who is that last pairing and does this uncertainly work Dea into the lineup?

Samuel Desbiens

Dec 5, 2017
Quebec City, Quebec
From Chris Ryan, nj.com on J-S Dea being claimed by the Devils.

It's possible the Devils will try to assign Dea to Binghamton in the AHL, which means he would likely need to pass through waivers again to do so.

The Devils attempted a similar move during the 2016-17 season, when they claimed forward Reid Boucher off waivers from the Nashville Predators. The Devils attempted to send him to the AHL, but when he went on waivers again, he was claimed by the Vancouver Canucks.

You guys think that it could be possible to send him to Binghamton?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
From Chris Ryan, nj.com on J-S Dea being claimed by the Devils.

It's possible the Devils will try to assign Dea to Binghamton in the AHL, which means he would likely need to pass through waivers again to do so.

The Devils attempted a similar move during the 2016-17 season, when they claimed forward Reid Boucher off waivers from the Nashville Predators. The Devils attempted to send him to the AHL, but when he went on waivers again, he was claimed by the Vancouver Canucks.

You guys think that it could be possible to send him to Binghamton?
i wonder if they would take the gamble. Teams are squeezed for roster spots, so it's possible he could sneak by. but i do think the pens would reclaim though, based on compliments i'm reading about him

Samuel Desbiens

Dec 5, 2017
Quebec City, Quebec
i wonder if they would take the gamble. Teams are squeezed for roster spots, so it's possible he could sneak by. but i do think the pens would reclaim though, based on compliments i'm reading about him

I just wonder where he's fitting in the Devils' lineup at this point. Many guys are able to fill the 4th RW or 4C spot, even the 13F... He was on waivers and Shero took him because he knows him well.

I probably would take that chance if I was Shero and if he's claimed, I'm sticking with Rooney as the 13F and/or sign Drew Stafford to serve as the 13F. I mean, this is not a big loss if he's claim again, he would maybe not be able to crack the lineup anyway?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No, because Chris Ryan's interpretation of that Boucher waiving is incorrect. They claimed him on waivers from Nashville with the intent of sending him to the minors, but Vancouver also claimed him. So they waived him the next day.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
No, because Chris Ryan's interpretation of that Boucher waiving is incorrect. They claimed him on waivers from Nashville with the intent of sending him to the minors, but Vancouver also claimed him. So they waived him the next day.

Excellent call out - Devils only put a claim in on Boucher because if they were the only team, they could've just sent him straight back to Albany at the time. The Vancouver claim forced the Devils to keep Boucher on the NHL roster, which they didn't want to do so they put him back on waivers knowing he'd be picked up by Vancouver. A team reporter should know this and call it out in his story, since putting in a waiver claim to reclaim a player you lost earlier in the season with the intention of sending him down to the minors is completely different than putting in a claim on a new player to the system, which you cannot realistically expect to sneak down to the minors (the original waiver team will almost always just claim the player back), especially if they are young & cheap.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Curious to see what Dea has to offer - it's a low-risk move by Shero. See what you have in Dea and worst case scenario you waive him.

He's taking a spot that would've either gone to Rooney, Seney or Stafford. Seney could certainly use some more seasoning in the AHL, so no loss there. Rooney was a good story but he's a year older than Dea and put up 16 fewer points in one additional game last year in the AHL, so Dea has the advantage at least offensively and seems to have been working on the defensive side of his game quite a bit (but who knows how that compares to Rooney). Both players have the same limited NHL experience, and given the Penguins depth at C/forward it's likely Dea is the better asset at this point. Rooney also doesn't have to clear waivers, so he remains in the organization. Stafford hasn't shown much of anything this preseason (or last season) and only has the "he's a good locker room guy and someone we can scratch for 20 games in a row without screwing up any development" quality going for him. I think most people would rather roll the dice on Dea than sign Stafford and if it doesn't work out, we still have Rooney, Seney, Lappin, Speers, Anderson, McLeod, etc. all knocking at the door.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Curious to see what Dea has to offer - it's a low-risk move by Shero. See what you have in Dea and worst case scenario you waive him.

He's taking a spot that would've either gone to Rooney, Seney or Stafford. Seney could certainly use some more seasoning in the AHL, so no loss there. Rooney was a good story but he's a year older than Dea and put up 16 fewer points in one additional game last year in the AHL, so Dea has the advantage at least offensively and seems to have been working on the defensive side of his game quite a bit (but who knows how that compares to Rooney). Both players have the same limited NHL experience, and given the Penguins depth at C/forward it's likely Dea is the better asset at this point. Rooney also doesn't have to clear waivers, so he remains in the organization. Stafford hasn't shown much of anything this preseason (or last season) and only has the "he's a good locker room guy and someone we can scratch for 20 games in a row without screwing up any development" quality going for him. I think most people would rather roll the dice on Dea than sign Stafford and if it doesn't work out, we still have Rooney, Seney, Lappin, Speers, Anderson, McLeod, etc. all knocking at the door.

A nice addition for Bing if he can get there.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Dea is comparable to Letestu in a lot of ways, particularly in how he's had to adapt to playing a more complete game since turning pro.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
A nice addition for Bing if he can get there.

But there's no realistic chance of him getting there. He will always have to pass through waivers and Pittsburgh will always have the chance to reclaim him and send him back to Wilkes-Barre if they are the only team putting in a claim. They just resigned the guy 3 months ago, was seemingly having a good camp and it's additional depth for the organization at no real cost to them. He's a RFA after this season, so it's not even like there's any commitment to him beyond this year.

Dea is either sticking with the big club in NJ for the season like Noesen did a few years back, going back to the Pittsburgh organization or getting claimed by another team and staying in the league elsewhere. There is a 0.0% chance he plays for the Binghamton Devils this season.

Reactions: Darkauron

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Blandisi is on waivers...

Let's get the band back together!

I remember quite a few people being disappointed when we dealt him. I feel bad for him as I think he really felt like he was part of NJ's youth core after playing 68 games with the Devils over 2 years...he's only played 3 NHL games since.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Smith has a bright future for sure. Hopefully he has a great year in junior.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A little bummed about Smith, very pumped about Rooney though.

I wonder if the Dea claim spelled the end for Rooney?

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Zacha-Bratt
Wood-Zajac-JQ
Coleman-Boyle/Dea-Noesen

The 14 forwards, although wouldn't be surprised if Noesen switches spots with JQ because he and Zajac did very well last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad