Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Not too surprised about Smith - not sure how we would've really gotten him some games as either Greene, Mueller or Butcher would have had to sit or shift to RD. Mueller's performance last night probably solidified his spot with Vantanen to start, Greene was not going to sit and were we really going to shift Butcher to RD to get Smith in a few games? While also benching Santini and Lovejoy?

Smith had a great camp and I'd expect him to compete for a spot next season. Excited to watch him at the WJC this year.

Reactions: Dialamo

Samuel Desbiens

Dec 5, 2017
Quebec City, Quebec
I'm guessing that Drew Stafford will sign a contract today or tomorrow, why bring him to Switzerland and Sweden if he is not going to stay with the team?

Unless he is thanked today before the team leaves?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
So, if I'm understanding it correctly there is still effectively 1 cut left to make between JQ, Stafford & Gryba?

Really it's between Gryba and Stafford at this point, as JQ really should be safe.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Great showing by Smith, he'll be here next year. Seney looks like he can be a player too.

Pumped for JQ. He heard that blunt message this offseason loud and clear and earned his spot. Hopefully he performs from here on out!

Reactions: OmNomNom

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
We've had PTOs sit around and practice with the team well into the season. I can see Stafford not being signed until an injury occurs.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Zacha-Bratt
Wood-Zajac-JQ
Coleman-Boyle/Dea-Noesen

The 14 forwards, although wouldn't be surprised if Noesen switches spots with JQ because he and Zajac did very well last year

I like that they brought in Dea. Since he's C / RW, he creates a lot of roster flexibility. We now have 6 Cs on the roster (7 if you include Joahnsson). The team can handle it if Boyle needs a night off, if Zacha needs to be scratched, or if there's an injury. Plus, having another R shooting C could be useful. I know many LWs like having a right shot center as it's easier to receive a pass from them.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So, if I'm understanding it correctly there is still effectively 1 cut left to make between JQ, Stafford & Gryba?

Really it's between Gryba and Stafford at this point, as JQ really should be safe.

Stafford doesn't have a contract. They don't technically have to cut him.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
The #NJDevils have assigned defenseman Ty Smith to his junior team in Spokane (WHL). In addition, the club has assigned forwards Kevin Rooney and Brent Seney to Binghamton (AHL).
Sigh. I understand the decision because he needs more bulk, but I feel he could have cut it this year. Hopefully Ty doesn’t take a step back or stagnates in Spokane. I really liked what I saw.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Stafford doesn't have a contract. They don't technically have to cut him.

Yeah, I understand that. I think you also know what I meant, which is that the last roster spot comes down to those two.

Yes, Stafford can remain with the team unsigned which could certainly be the case for now. It's my understanding that only players on the roster (plus the extra goalie) can participate in team practices once the 23 man rosters are due on 10/2 and I think that would apply to an unsigned Stafford as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->