Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Lars' 5v5 #'s look pretty good, he has played the most minutes on D, his corsi is 2nd best among regulars at just a tick under 50%, shot % over 48%,..........but then you get to his 37.96 goals for %. Ouch.

And he is typically a guy whose goals for% is above his corsi %.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Let's talk about Agostino, impressive possession numbers his whole career and now gets a bigger opportunity and the points start to come. Dude is at 55% Corsi on this depleted team (9.3 CF% rel!!!) with 10 points in 19 games. He was at 57% in Montreal! I'm not expecting anything more than a quality 4th liner but he was a nice pickup that could have a future here beyond this season. **** Delbarton though.
Last night he was at 60% corsi. And I would think "easy minutes" at first glance but he was over 70% vs Ovi and Wilson.

Agostino Rooney Anderson
Butcher Carrick

were very impressive as a group.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Let's talk about Agostino, impressive possession numbers his whole career and now gets a bigger opportunity and the points start to come. Dude is at 55% Corsi on this depleted team (9.3 CF% rel!!!) with 10 points in 19 games. He was at 57% in Montreal! I'm not expecting anything more than a quality 4th liner but he was a nice pickup that could have a future here beyond this season. **** Delbarton though.

i came here specifically to ask about agostino. i haven’t watched the last few games but on paper he’s looking good. is he a legitimate 2nd line guy when our players get healthy?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

:laugh: f*** Delbarton indeed.

But as a former Mt. Olive resident, I will forever shout Mt. Olive in the House anytime he does something good. :laugh: I'm impressed with what he's done all things considered and would love to see what he does with a defined role in the bottom 6 rather than being tossed up and down the lineup.

Reactions: HenriquesJawLine

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
i came here specifically to ask about agostino. i haven’t watched the last few games but on paper he’s looking good. is he a legitimate 2nd line guy when our players get healthy?
I'd say no to this. Just not seeing the offensive ability.

He has had both good, and excellent offensive #'s in the AHL, so maybe there is more there, and maybe he can develop some skills, I think his hands need work, as well as just overall offensive creativity, but I think he is proving to be a legit bottom 6 guy.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Wait, what? A 2nd liner with a healthy lineup? Hell no. Not even close.

I do like Agostino, though. I wouldn’t mind keeping him around for the 4th line, or as the token 13th forward. I’d much rather keep him around than go back for another year of Stafford.

Reactions: Darkauron

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think people forget that we actually have solid NHL talent for our lineup, when healthy.

Agostino won’t be anywhere near the 2nd line next year, and Carrick will be lucky to be a 7D... he most certainly won’t be a winger, and won’t play over Severson/Palmieri/Butcher on the powerplay.

Reactions: Darkauron

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Reminds me a ton of Noesen. Both smart players who seem to have a knack for making simple plays to consistently push the puck up the ice. Noesen had similar numbers when he came over off waivers for us on that horrendous 16-17 team.

Hoping we keep Agostino and Noesen around as fourth liners and/or extra forwards. Agostino - Rooney - Noesen could make a pretty solid fourth line next year.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think people forget that we actually have solid NHL talent for our lineup, when healthy.

Agostino won’t be anywhere near the 2nd line next year, and Carrick will be lucky to be a 7D... he most certainly won’t be a winger, and won’t play over Severson/Palmieri/Butcher on the powerplay.

On the right side I'd expect the team to roll with Vats and Sevs on the first two pairs. I don't think they look to add a RD unless one falls in their lap. This would leave Santini and Carrick as the choice for RD3. Both have their pluses and minuses. I could see them being a bit of a platoon based on the opposition next season. The left side is the big question mark to me.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Who knows. Devils seem to be resting every quality player who stubs their toe for the last month and a half.

I would bet on him not returning this year.
The thing I wonder about is if we were actually in a playoff hunt right now, how many of these injured guys would be playing through whatever issues they have. I can’t even keep track of said injuries anymore.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Analyzing 16 years of NHL draft data to see which teams have...

A deep dive on draft results for the past 16 years. Key points:

-We had the 23rd ranked average draft position over that time frame (Out of 30, so near the bottom).
-We had the 29th ranked average draft results over that time frame (Second to last; only better than Vancouver). So our drafting underperformed.
-Our best draft years in that timeframe, to the surprise of no one: 2003, 2004, 2016, 2017.
-2014 was our worst draft, followed by 2006, then 2010.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

No. If he's on our second line we either aren't healthy or everyone has been traded. He's at best a 3rd liner who fills in during injuries. Having said that, I would like him back and think he's shown enough to warrant a deal.

Reactions: Bleedred

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
:laugh: **** Delbarton indeed.

But as a former Mt. Olive resident, I will forever shout Mt. Olive in the House anytime he does something good. :laugh: I'm impressed with what he's done all things considered and would love to see what he does with a defined role in the bottom 6 rather than being tossed up and down the lineup.

You people are crazy. Delbarton is the best thing about Kenny A!

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Agostino Rooney Noesen 4th line would be solid. Rounds out the forward group very well. Thats also a very big line. This bottom six would be a pain in the ass to play against.

Hall Hischier Bratt
??? Zacha(?) Palmieri
Coleman Zajac Wood
Agostino Rooney Noesen

Depth:
Seney Anderson Bastian McLeod

Potential:
Boqvist Zetterlund Studenic Gignac

Ray has done a great job of building our forward group for the forseeable future. Now fix that D.

Reactions: Billdo

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
No. If he's on our second line we either aren't healthy or everyone has been traded. He's at best a 3rd liner who fills in during injuries. Having said that, I would like him back and think he's shown enough to warrant a deal.

i understand it’s a small sample size but if he’s going to be putting up .5PPG over the course of a season i’m not sure how willing i am to relegate him to a bottom 6 role. i think if he had a different name or was a former first round pick, people wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the idea of him in a top 6 spot.

but again, to be fair i haven’t really watched him. just going off of stats

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

More of the Farnham, Gibbons, DSP, Noesen lightning in a bottle types, for now at least. No reason not to keep him around next season to see if he shows this actually isn't a flash in the pan stretch of games and because it provides another option in the lineup, but I think relying on him in that high of a role is tough to imagine at this point and it would show we still have other problems with the way the team is built.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Analyzing 16 years of NHL draft data to see which teams have...

A deep dive on draft results for the past 16 years. Key points:

-We had the 23rd ranked average draft position over that time frame (Out of 30, so near the bottom).
-We had the 29th ranked average draft results over that time frame (Second to last; only better than Vancouver). So our drafting underperformed.
-Our best draft years in that timeframe, to the surprise of no one: 2003, 2004, 2016, 2017.
-2014 was our worst draft, followed by 2006, then 2010.

For the younger fans, this is why a lot of posters here still resent Conte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad