Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure if this is worth a separate thread, if not, feel free to merge with another thread. But I wanted to share this story. I have been a Rangers fan since 1992, but above all, I am a hockey fan and am always interested in seeing new arenas. Last month I was in New York for a few days, attended a Rangers game on Friday evening and stayed for the weekend. The rest of the story below:

Today, I had some time to kill with my flight back to Europe at 10:30 PM, so my friend suggested to go to the Devils game. 3 PM puck drop, why not? So I bought tickets for her and me, and we went to NJ. At the game, I was trying to get a hard ticket for my collection but I had no luck at all. These days, it's easier to get a law degree from Harvard, than to get a hard copy ticket at an NHL game. My friend then approached a guy in a suit who was super friendly. Started talking, and he was immediately offering to help. Turns out it was the owner of the Devils. My friend told him I flew in all the way from Austria. So he responds "let me give you my email address, send me your contact details and I'll take care of it"

I just had a conversation over email with the owner of an NHL franchise :laugh:

I'm at JFK now to fly home. This weekend has been full of surprises!

Fast forward 4 weeks and this lands on my desk:

53799357_312243729489813_388822229665710080_n.jpg

He actually came through and sent me a hard ticket for my collection! Just wanted to share this story with you guys. I hope that's okay.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Continue....

For the remaining games here is what I am most interested in...besides increasing our lottery odds:

1. goaltending. I would like to see what Cory has left and what Mac can bring to the table next year.

2. I would like to Zacha get an increased role to see if can live up to his abilities. I would like to see him set up in the circles on the PP and use his very good shot.

3. McLeod/Bastian. I want to see what these two have and if they can contribute next season.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I find it a little concerning that our team defense and general intensity have been much better with a lineup of scrubs than it was when we were healthy and still in the hunt.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I find it a little concerning that our team defense and general intensity have been much better with a lineup of scrubs than it was when we were healthy and still in the hunt.

This team would look like effortless dogshit if the goalies were letting in one out of every 8 shots on goal.

Reactions: Bleedred

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This team would look like effortless dog**** if the goalies were letting in one out of every 8 shots on goal.

I do agree but we did win the shot battle last night. We also did a very good job of limiting shots and chances. Granted that was as low event a hockey game as we have seen all season. So yes, goal tending looking much better, but I think, given the lineup, we are focusing on keeping the game simple, and that typically starts with limiting chances.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Continue....

For the remaining games here is what I am most interested in...besides increasing our lottery odds:

1. goaltending. I would like to see what Cory has left and what Mac can bring to the table next year.

2. I would like to Zacha get an increased role to see if can live up to his abilities. I would like to see him set up in the circles on the PP and use his very good shot.

3. McLeod/Bastian. I want to see what these two have and if they can contribute next season.
Not having young guys like Zacha, and Bastian, and Mueller on the ice is an extra level of frustration on a lousy season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Do we think coaches have changed the game plan a bit? I'm not breaking these games down, but I can't say I've noticed the d-men chasing guys high in the defensive zone. Given the lineup it does make sense if they did.

I also think, that although a guy like Rooney does border on scrub, he is a defensively responsible player, as is Stafford, and though they are not in the scrub category, McLeod and Anderson are known as a good defensive player. And of coarse Zajac and Coleman.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Do we think coaches have changed the game plan a bit? I'm not breaking these games down, but I can't say I've noticed the d-men chasing guys high in the defensive zone. Given the lineup it does make sense if they did.

I also think, that although a guy like Rooney does border on scrub, he is a defensively responsible player, as is Stafford, and though they are not in the scrub category, McLeod and Anderson are known as a good defensive player. And of coarse Zajac and Coleman.

I think the game plan combined with players not looking to take any risks has led to playing a low scoring game without a lot of big time chances on either end. by having all these players up and trying to prove themselves I think they are more worried about not giving up a big mistake then looking to make a play to get a goal. Also I think Hynes has changed the game plan a bit because they can't play a run and gun style with the current talent they have otherwise it would be lopsided scores.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My opinion:

Because they are forced to play a simplified game plan with all the new faces, players are making fewer read/react mistakes. Hynes' program is the absolute biggest problem this team has.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I do agree but we did win the shot battle last night. We also did a very good job of limiting shots and chances. Granted that was as low event a hockey game as we have seen all season. So yes, goal tending looking much better, but I think, given the lineup, we are focusing on keeping the game simple, and that typically starts with limiting chances.

Right and with that 'keeping the game simple' means getting almost no scoring chances ourselves. So if the Devils' goalies were still letting in one out of every 8 shots, the team would still look listless and effortless, even though we know that since it's primarily made up of minor league players, at least at forward - these guys are definitely busting their asses.

I could hear an argument that since we've gotten better goaltending, defensemen no longer want to overcommit - that could account for some of the improvement, maybe.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
My opinion:

Because they are forced to play a simplified game plan with all the new faces, players are making fewer read/react mistakes. Hynes' program is the absolute biggest problem this team has.

I agree - our current players (defensemen in particular) aren't good (and perhaps just green) at making the proper reads, and as a result we seem to suffer catastrophic, super high-danger chances that end up in the net and make our goaltenders look foolish on a nightly basis.

I think that's why a veteran Dman like Lovejoy can sometimes almost look like he's more successful in this system than any of our young defensemen.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
My opinion:

I do think that the ability of our AHL team to limit scoring chances better then our NHL team should be a discussion point with our coaches.

But I do wonder why our team was pretty successful with it last year.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I agree - our current players (defensemen in particular) aren't good (and perhaps just green) at making the proper reads, and as a result we seem to suffer catastrophic, super high-danger chances that end up in the net and make our goaltenders look foolish on a nightly basis.

I think that's why a veteran Dman like Lovejoy can sometimes almost look like he's more successful in this system than any of our young defensemen.
Lovejoy looked successful because he was playing super easy 5v5 minutes, and he was playing those easy minutes with Butcher who dominated the weaker comp. I do think they were a good complement, but Butcher was the clear driver of the two.

Lovejoy was also good on the PK, but I think we play a pretty standard style of PK.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So if the Zajac line can play competent defense and a fourth line can be constructed of AHL vets like Agostino and Rooney and they can play competent defense and both can be tough to play against and if a healthy Hall with Nico and Bratt can be competent defensively and carry play more often then not, then if they can construct a second line and get competent goaltending and maybe a bit better defense as the young defenders mature a bit next season, there is no reason NJ can’t look as good as they do now defensively and effort wise and still score more because of the better talent they can bring with a healthy Hall line and hopefully a reasonably constructed real second line.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
In the past, there was the perception GMs didn’t want to anger each other with offer sheets. That they were philosophically against the idea.
Hogwash, says Ray Shero.
“Are you philosophically against improving your team? No,’’ said the Devils GM. “That’s what it comes down to. … You always hear about the old boys club. The old boys club, seriously? I don’t care whether it’s new boys or old boys, you want to win. Everybody is competitive. Maybe 20 years ago somebody would say the team would get you back. Really? That’s not how you operate. It’s about planning and doing what’s best.’’
LeBrun: Will 2019 be the summer of the RFA offer sheet?

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
So if the Zajac line can play competent defense and a fourth line can be constructed of AHL vets like Agostino and Rooney and they can play competent defense and both can be tough to play against and if a healthy Hall with Nico and Bratt can be competent defensively and carry play more often then not, then if they can construct a second line and get competent goaltending and maybe a bit better defense as the young defenders mature a bit next season, there is no reason NJ can’t look as good as they do now defensively and effort wise and still score more because of the better talent they can bring with a healthy Hall line and hopefully a reasonably constructed real second line.

that's a long sentence, but yes I think that is possible. Almost everything that could have gone wrong this year did, I'm hopeful that next year we can be near playoffs if not in them like last year. Still need to add to the roster, but in terms of play I think there is more there than what we saw this year.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
that's a long sentence, but yes I think that is possible. Almost everything that could have gone wrong this year did, I'm hopeful that next year we can be near playoffs if not in them like last year. Still need to add to the roster, but in terms of play I think there is more there than what we saw this year.
With league average goaltending next year and the injury curse hopefully lifted, we should be a bubble team. If we luck into Hughes/Kakko and ray can pull some shrewd trades, we can be solidly in the playoff conversation...but still nowhere near a threat to win it all unless Cory/Mac stand on their heads. Maybe a wildcard like Boqvist busting into the league ala Bratt could make us a very deep team.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
As of right now this if how I look at next year's forward lineup
Top 6: Hall, Nico, Bratt, Palms
Potential Top 6: Boqvist, Zacha, Lotto Pick (I hope), offseason acquisition
3rd Line: Zajac, Coleman
Potential 3rd line: Zacha, Wood, Anderson, Noesen
Potential 4th line: Wood, Noesen, Bastian, McLeod, Rooney (don't mind him as a 13th or 14th forward)
That's a raw 2nd line but what I think would be a really good bottom 6. I think Anderson will develop well with Zajac and Coleman. 4th line of Wood-McLeod-Bastian has a lot of size and speed too. Overall, it'd be a really pesky and annoying team to match up against especially with Nico-Zacha-Zajac-McLeod down the middle

Reactions: glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad