Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The thing I wonder about is if we were actually in a playoff hunt right now, how many of these injured guys would be playing through whatever issues they have. I can’t even keep track of said injuries anymore.

Considering Bratt is in a walking boot, and Hall had to have surgery, I think they are simply legit hurt.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
More of the Farnham, Gibbons, DSP, Noesen lightning in a bottle types, for now at least. No reason not to keep him around next season to see if he shows this actually isn't a flash in the pan stretch of games and because it provides another option in the lineup, but I think relying on him in that high of a role is tough to imagine at this point and it would show we still have other problems with the way the team is built.
Given his AHL #'s I think he stands above that group. He had 83 points in 65 games as a 24 year old, 17 more then the next closest guy on his team(who also played 7 more games then Agostino did). Then he put up 10 points in 10 playoff games that season.

He's also had 2 other seasons of 50+ points in 60+ games, and this year had 10 points in 12 games.

His minor league resume is very good. As were his college #'s.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Reminds me a ton of Noesen. Both smart players who seem to have a knack for making simple plays to consistently push the puck up the ice. Noesen had similar numbers when he came over off waivers for us on that horrendous 16-17 team.

Hoping we keep Agostino and Noesen around as fourth liners and/or extra forwards. Agostino - Rooney - Noesen could make a pretty solid fourth line next year.
Pretty similar in that their possession #'s are very good and they bring decent production. As mentioned above Agostino has produced much better at the AHL level, and a big edge he has over Noesen is his ability to stay healthy. Last year appears to be an aberration for Noesen, not so much in level of play, but ability to stay on the ice. This year he has returned to his norm.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Considering Bratt is in a walking boot, and Hall had to have surgery, I think they are simply legit hurt.
Ya, and guys like Zacha, Mueller and Bastian still have a lot to prove on the ice, if those guys are healthy enough to play and aren't, then that is not a good thing. Nico too, if he is healthy enough to play then he should be out there.

Palms? If his head is a little iffy, that would probably bench him anyways, but it's a no doubter in a season like this.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
For the younger fans, this is why a lot of posters here still resent Conte.

It's even worse when you think of it this way:

Two of our best drafts were 2003 and 2004. We got a total of two (Or three) NHL players out of them combined: Parise and Zajac. (And PL3). Granted, we didn't have a lot of picks in the 2004 draft.

Even worse, those were the two highest rated drafts league-wide in those 16 years. 2006 was the third best, and it was our second worst.

It was a bad time for the empire.

Reactions: Tretyak 20

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's even worse when you think of it this way:

Two of our best drafts were 2003 and 2004. We got a total of two (Or three) NHL players out of them combined: Parise and Zajac. (And PL3). Granted, we didn't have a lot of picks in the 2004 draft.

Even worse, those were the two highest rated drafts league-wide in those 16 years. 2006 was the third best, and it was our second worst.

It was a bad time for the empire.

This has been belabored on this board, but it is striking to go through these older Devils drafts and look at how many players didn't even have professional careers. They must've been drafting these guys on the basis of seeing them once or twice and probably little else. I know that's how everyone was operating in those days but it produced some baffling results.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This has been belabored on this board, but it is striking to go through these older Devils drafts and look at how many players didn't even have professional careers. They must've been drafting these guys on the basis of seeing them once or twice and probably little else. I know that's how everyone was operating in those days but it produced some baffling results.

Anton Kadeykin, anybody?:laugh:

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Yeah honestly I think about the only thing that would have changed if the team was in it, is they'd have not ****ed around with Hall for six weeks and gotten the surgery earlier so he could have been back for the stretch run.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Analyzing 16 years of NHL draft data to see which teams have...

A deep dive on draft results for the past 16 years. Key points:

-We had the 23rd ranked average draft position over that time frame (Out of 30, so near the bottom).
-We had the 29th ranked average draft results over that time frame (Second to last; only better than Vancouver). So our drafting underperformed.
-Our best draft years in that timeframe, to the surprise of no one: 2003, 2004, 2016, 2017.
-2014 was our worst draft, followed by 2006, then 2010.
No way the 2014, 2006 and 2010 drafts were bad. We picked quality NHL players like John Quenneville, Matthew Corrente, and stud NHL defenseman Jon Merrill!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
2006 led me to look up Matt Halischuk, who I thought was taken that draft year, but was actually taken in 2007.

Halischuk actually had 11 more career points in the NHL in 35 fewer NHL games played than Jacob Josefson. All the while averaging 1 minute and 55 fewer seconds of ice time than Josefson per game. And registering exactly 0 power play points to Josefson’s 18. And 0 shorthanded points to Josefson’s 5.

If that isn’t an indictment in the tallest order that Josefson really sucked. No wonder why we (and it wasn’t just me) spent entire offseasons debating him and why he was on the team.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Analyzing 16 years of NHL draft data to see which teams have...

-We had the 23rd ranked average draft position over that time frame (Out of 30, so near the bottom).
-We had the 29th ranked average draft results over that time frame (Second to last; only better than Vancouver). So our drafting underperformed.
-Our best draft years in that timeframe, to the surprise of no one: 2003, 2004, 2016, 2017.
-2014 was our worst draft, followed by 2006, then 2010.
Thanks for posting this. Not surprising to read. Just curious who the top 5 teams were.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

That's the key bit the lanterns & pitchforks crowd really misses. Admittedly, it is noteworthy that even at #23, they underperformed that target, but still, it's hard to make chicken soup from chicken s***.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
That's the key bit the lanterns & pitchforks crowd really misses. Admittedly, it is noteworthy that even at #23, they underperformed that target, but still, it's hard to make chicken soup from chicken s***.

Pittsburgh was at 25th and still managed to be the 4th best in that time frame. Hawks were 20th and the 2nd best. Caps were 21st and the 3rd best. San Jose was 30th (!) and the 7th best.

It helps that most of those teams had a #1 overall or two, but you also need to get quality in later picks. (Letang, Carlson, Crawford, Keith, Guentzel, etc.)

We got outgunned pretty hard. No other way to sell it, really.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One thing I do wonder: why isn't Josh Jacobs up? I thought he's been Bingo's steadiest d-man this year? Fitzgerald talked about taking a look at him. I wonder what's up?

p.s., here's where Fitzgerald talked about potentially calling up Studenic, Jacobs, White, and others:

Q&A with Devils Assistant General Manager Tom Fitzgerald
Jacobs sucks. Colton White has sucked also, but he’s just here because we’re out of options and he’s this year’s version of Michael Kapla.

I remember Fitzgerald also saying Wedgewood was good and would be an NHL goaltender, so ever since then, I wouldn’t take it as gospel if he says a player is good. He can’t tell us the guy sucks.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
In order: Bruins, Hawks, Caps, Pens, Ducks
Thanks again. Not surprising all 5 are Cup Winners in the Salary Cap era. The draft is the key in the cap era. That is why I am surprised when I read posters suggesting trading first round picks and offer sheeting RFA's when the draft is so critical in building a Cup champion.

Reactions: Oneiro

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Conte went through 11 drafts from 2005 to 2015. In those drafts none of the players he selected have gone on to be a 1st line forward, 1st pairing D, or starting goalie. Now Blackwood might be a starting goalie soon and there's still some hope for guys like Severson and Zacha, but that is an atrocious track record, even when you consider how the Devils were routinely short a pick or two in the first three rounds.

Reactions: Bleedred

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Jacobs sucks. Colton White has sucked also, but he’s just here because we’re out of options and he’s this year’s version of Michael Kapla.

I remember Fitzgerald also saying Wedgewood was good and would be an NHL goaltender, so ever since then, I wouldn’t take it as gospel if he says a player is good. He can’t tell us the guy sucks.
What about Ryan Murphy, the guy they p/u from minny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->