Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I think this terrible season he's having will drive his value down significantly. I also think GMs are slowly becoming more cautious giving out Eriksson/Lucic/Ladd/Backes type contracts. Which is a category Eberle could slot into.

I mean all those players you just named , I wouldn't even sign for 4 million

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
??? When they were free agents I am sure you would have
I definitely wouldn't have myself. I think all of those contracts were pretty much agreed upon (by most fans and the media) that they would become problems. I actually thought Backes would be bad by year 2 of his deal, but it hasn't happened until this year. Those contracts were laughed at the day they were signed and feared by fans of the teams who signed them. They were already looking like deals that those teams would hope there was an amnesty buyout for during the next CBA, just on the day they were signed.

But I do understand why they were given those deals at the time, but we're living in a time where the contracts are out of control for these has-been's that's best days are over.

I will say this, because Eberle is still not yet 30 (like Backes, Eriksson, Ladd) and he doesn't play a style that breaks you down like Lucic (who was 28, but an old 28 and already close to breaking down, due to play style), I would be less hesitant to sign him than those guys, but who knows?

Eberle would be pretty cool, but for how much?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Eberle is kind of a strange case. His shooting percentage dropped below his career norms his last year in Edmonton, then they decided to trade him. His first year with the Islanders it rebounded to normal, but then this year it's dropped below normal again.

So if we got the Eberle he's been most of his career, we'd be getting a 20+ goal, ~50 point RW, which would round out the top 6 wings nicely if we put Bratt back at LW on the second line.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think this terrible season he's having will drive his value down significantly. I also think GMs are slowly becoming more cautious giving out Eriksson/Lucic/Ladd/Backes type contracts. Which is a category Eberle could slot into.

Those guys aren't the same type of player as Eberle though. They all played a more physical game and had a heavier type of game that usually leads to bad deals with the exception of Eriksson. Eberle won't sign for that amount though. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a smallish raise let alone a pay cut.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t wanna become the Oilers east either, but those (Hall and Eberle) are two players the Oilers have been an even larger pus fire without.

I do think there’s legit concern about being afraid of signing Eberle though. His next contract will either be really good value or it could be a dud.

Good chance this is just a down year for him, but how many more 50+ point seasons does he have in him? Might not be a lot.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Especially since it would literally be two players when we've already had probably close to half a dozen Pens guys come through.

agreed. i mean i would take pulujuvumujujuvajari off their hands, even though he’s ‘damaged goods’ coming out of edmonton. it would be like adopting a dog from a fighting ring, we would just have to train him to be nice and not piddle the carpet

Reactions: Bet the Over

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
agreed. i mean i would take pulujuvumujujuvajari off their hands, even though he’s ‘damaged goods’ coming out of edmonton. it would be like adopting a dog from a fighting ring, we would just have to train him to be nice and not piddle the carpet
If we can get him for we cheap as they traded Yakupov for, that would be pretty cool. But I don’t think he’s killed his value enough yet like Yak did for us to be able to get him that cheap.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Especially since it would literally be two players when we've already had probably close to half a dozen Pens guys come through.

I feel like those are different scenarios, taking chances on waiver/low risk type of pickups on guys Shero has a history with is a lot different than signing an older player on the decline to a big contract

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Eberle is playing on a better team, is having a god awful year by his career standards and is soft as shit.

Have you seriously ever watched that guy play?

Reactions: Darkauron

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
If we can get him for we cheap as they traded Yakupov for, that would be pretty cool. But I don’t think he’s killed his value enough yet like Yak did for us to be able to get him that cheap.

He won't go for cheap, let's be realistic here. UFAs get overpaid 98% of the time

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He won't go for cheap, let's be realistic here. UFAs get overpaid 98% of the time
I’m talking about Puljujarvi and his trade cost in that post.

But Eberle probably will too.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Eberle is playing on a better team, is having a god awful year by his career standards and is soft as ****.

Have you seriously ever watched that guy play?

He simply just needs to be reunited with his buddy, Taylor. :)

I like Eberle well enough and think he'd be helpful for us, but we have more pressing needs to address. How we address those needs is another matter.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Eberle as a last option on a deal similar to what David Perron just got wouldn't be the worst, but overall I would prefer to acquire someone who more meets the team makeup and is younger, whether its through FA or a trade.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Shero should get creative. Eberle had a down year. Okay, fine - offer him 1 year at $6M. Put him on Hall's wing at ES and put him where Zajac is now on the PP. If he can keep up with Hall, he should score 30 goals.

There's no need to commit long-term to a guy like Eberle here and I don't think he's going to get huge offers coming off this season (unless he has a big playoff). Let him help himself and the Devils.

Reactions: snwbdgislife

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
eberle is a 20g, 50 point type of player. i don’t think he’ll break the bank

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
eberle is a 20g, 50 point type of player. i don’t think he’ll break the bank

It's not just about points, it's more about style of play. I absolutely hate how he plays.

Soft and on the perimeter. If most of this board hated how soft Mojo was, wait until you watch Eberle play full time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad