Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XlV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Going down the stretch I’d like to see us play Bratt at center some. With his skating and abilities to carry the puck, see the ice and distribute it - above all his ability to back off defenders (you can’t get too close to him when he’s got open ice because he can stop and start and cut and leave you looking foolish) - let him handle the puck with the maximum open ice.

In the same vein, also would like to see him on a power play point, not a corner. Again imagine the havoc he creates with the puck at the top of the triangle occasionally, or circling with it in the open ice of a 5 on 4. See Matt Barzal for comparison.

He’s our most creative forward so why not play him in the most creative position. What have we got to lose in giving him some shifts there and seeing how it works?

Yes he’s small but so are Gaudreau and Barzal.

I don't believe that center is an inherently more creative position; even conceding that to be true, you're ignoring the harsher defensive responsibilities that are generally required of centers.

What makes Bratt effective is his elusiveness and shiftiness off the wing - think Marner. I'm afraid that part of his game would get stifled by forcing him off the wing into a more demanding position.

Besides, Bratt is one of - what - 3 bonafide top-6 wingers on the roster? Let's not make our talent depth on the wings even shallower by shifting him to center.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
whens the last time the Devils had 2 first round picks in the same draft?

the last time we actually selected twice in the first round was 1998 (Van Ryn and Gomez) but have we ever had 2 at any point since then that we traded?

Fun fact, that draft we took Dagenais who we then took 2 rounds later in a draft two years after.

There were a lot of solid NHLers in almost every round in that draft.

Camille the Eel

Gaudreau is not a center .. and you don't just throw an undersized player who hasn't played center in the center role.

Also what constitutes a center as being a more creative position than a winger?
Well how big was Marcel Dionne? Bratt’s size but heavier probably. How big is Tyler Johnson and some of the other guys who play center for Tampa Bay at times - because they play Johnson at both center and wing as the case may be?

A center has more open ice and carries the puck more and plays in the middle of the ice - he goes down the boards and into the corners to be sure, but ultimately he’s responsible for the middle, from his own slot (defensively and here’s where potential problems are for Bratt) to the offensive slot. He thus has more opportunities to go both directions, right and left, to stop and start and circle back and find the open spots and to carry and distribute the puck.

He’s the forward who’s most responsible for driving puck possession. And puck possession (especially in the neural zone developing plays and offensive zone entries) is one of our biggest weaknesses, as to which he has the potential to make a difference.

Playing center could maximize the return on Bratt’s qualities. No one on the opposition keeps up him (at times) and he’s a pass first guy anyway, great at carrying the puck through center ice and making zone entries. Repeat: he’s a guy who can drive puck possession.

Certainly his presumed unfamiliarity with the position is a problem. Whether he can handle face offs and the defensive responsibilities in our end are also questions. Other issues will occur. But maybe it’s worth a try. If we shifted Seney at center early in the year; if Coleman has played both center and wing for us (especially center last year): then why not Bratt now and then?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Nashville traded their 1st round pick and 4th round pick for Ryan Hartman and a 5th last year

I don't think its likely whatsoever, but you never know.

Reactions: MichaelJ

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It’s highly unlikely but I vaguely remember someone mediocre, I think it was Paul Gaustad, fetching a 1st at the deadline a few years ago.

Teams do dumb stuff sometimes at the deadline.

Nasvhille did this one, too. Buffalo kicked in a 4th along with Gaustad, and received Nashville's 1st.

It's very unlikely that Boyle returns a 1st, but if any 4C in the league can, it's him. Despite what the trade board says, his leadership and "story" have a lot of clout around the league.

And he's pacing 20 goals from the 4th line and net-front on the PP. For as much chatter as there is surrounding Wayne Simmonds and his PP impact for a contender, Boyle's PP production has been nearly identical this year, playing a nearly identical role.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
As Center is the more important position, I'd say of course it matter.

You could go Bratt Duchene Anderson.

Or

Boqvist Duchene Bratt.

People were arguing Stone or Duchene ... I love Stone, but I think the Devils need a legit #1 or #2 center more than anything else. A guy like Duchene seems to be coming into his own at 28 years old. He's primed for some really strong seasons and he's now basically a point per game guy. He's also excellent at faceoffs. I think for the Devils, Duchene would be a great addition. I'll take Stone as well ;)

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You really think it's that crazy of a notion for a team that is all in this year to give up a 25-30th pick for a guy like Boyle?

I'd be over-the-moon if it happens. I'd be happy with a 2nd. Maybe Shero can swing something like a 2nd and a 4th. But a 1st Round pick for Boyle sounds crazy to me.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Random stat of the day, Palmieri (8) and Boyle (6) account for more than 50% of the power play goals scored by the team (27) this season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My guess on returns would be a 2nd for MoJo, a 3rd for Boyle, and a 4th for Lovejoy.

I'd say we're overestimating the return for MoJo, he's been bad and hurt as a Devil. It'll be more like a 3 assuming there actually is any interest left in him. I do think Boyle could get a 2 and Lovejoy 'at least' a 3.

Reactions: Verdoux

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
As recently as two years ago Lovejoy was a first pairing defender for NJ. First pairing defenders are valuable NHL commodities at the TDL. Maybe he can return a first round pick. He’s a right handed shot. A right handed shot first pairing defender is a valuable commodity at the TDL. Maybe he’d return a guy like Nylander from TOR since they are all in and need a first pairing right handed defender. He’s also got a Stanley Cup pedigree. A first pairing right handed defender with a Stanley Cup pedigree is a valuable commodity at the TDL. Maybe he will return a guy like Rantanen from COL. He also has an expiring affordable contract. A first pairing right handed defender with a Stanley Cup pedigree and an affordable expiring contract is a valuable commodity at the TDL. Maybe he will return a guy like Connor McDavid. You are all seriously under valuing Lovejoy. Anything less than Connor McDavid and maybe a struggling defender like Larsson added to at least fill the roster spot vacated by Lovejoy and I will be disappointed in Shero.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I really don't think anyone will give much of anything for Lovejoy.

I'd say 3rd round pick for Johansson

I'd say 3rd round pick for Boyle

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'd say we're overestimating the return for MoJo, he's been bad and hurt as a Devil. It'll be more like a 3 assuming there actually is any interest left in him. I do think Boyle could get a 2 and Lovejoy 'at least' a 3.

I think he'll still have value for somebody who will gamble on him returning to his Caps form on a better team. I think people are overestimating the return for Boyle. Yes, he's a good team guy, veteran, etc. but he's also slow as molasses.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
most to least valuable in my opinion- boyle, mojo, lovejoy, greene, everyone else

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think he'll still have value for somebody who will gamble on him returning to his Caps form on a better team. I think people are overestimating the return for Boyle. Yes, he's a good team guy, veteran, etc. but he's also slow as molasses.

Like others have said, Boyle returned a 2nd rounder years ago before he even became a more well-known guy nationally here.

Brian Boyle traded to Maple Leafs by Lightning

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Colorado has the makings of a good trade partner for the deadline. I think they'd be willing to move their first, since they have Ottawa's pick, which should be a lottery selection.

I think they could have interest in any of Boyle, Johansson, and/or Lovejoy, as a young, on the bubble team.

Also, I wonder if they'd entertain a Zacha/Jost swap in such a deal. Both guys seem like they can use a change of scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad