Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XlV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Isn’t it slection dependent? Picks 36 and 37 are maybe worth more than pick 32.

Right but you're not getting those 2nd rounders in a trade unless by a fluke a bubble playoff team has already traded for a bad team's 2. It's more like 45-50 you're getting in trades from bubble teams. Maybe worse from an actual SC contender.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Isn’t it slection dependent? Picks 36 and 37 are maybe worth more than pick 32.

Yes, but you’re likely dealing with contenders here and all picks involved will likely be in the second half of their respective rounds.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
You value 2 2nds over one 1st? Why?

I would assume they're carrying more than just the 2nds if sold individually whereas the original post I referenced was both Boyle AND Johansson for the Isles first. I'd rather have the 2nds and whatever pluses than a single first that's all. I'm not even sure how much I believe that at this point though.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I would assume they're carrying more than just the 2nds if sold individually whereas the original post I referenced was both Boyle AND Johansson for the Isles first. I'd rather have the 2nds and whatever pluses than a single first that's all. I'm not even sure how much I believe that at this point though.

Well, if you’re getting decent talent with the 2nds that obviously changes things, but I’d want more than just filler prospects or lower picks. That first could have tremendous trade value by its own at the draft.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I was just looking at some of Lou's trades over the years and can we take a moment to remember cranky Captain Jamie Langenbrunner...

New Jersey's 8th Captain who was traded January 7th 2011 to Dallas for a 3rd round pick in 2012...#74 overall Blake Coleman.

Thanks Captain

Wow, that is awesome and why I value draft picks highly. I'm not for buying at the deadline unless you feel your team has a decent chance at the cup, something I did not feel last season.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Well, if you’re getting decent talent with the 2nds that obviously changes things, but I’d want more than just filler prospects or lower picks. That first could have tremendous trade value by its own at the draft.

Agreed, I guess I should've made my post contingent on it being with the pluses but the main point was I don't think I'd give up Boyle AND Johansson for a first but who knows.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I just looked at the roster from last game and they finally went with the defense I've been asking for all year and not shockingly they only let up 14 shots. Although I'm a bit confused why Severson got 1:30 of SHTOI but Santini didn't have any.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Agreed, I guess I should've made my post contingent on it being with the pluses but the main point was I don't think I'd give up Boyle AND Johansson for a first but who knows.

I obviously would, but I’d want to have shopped the two separately first to see where the best value is.

Reactions: Billdo

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I just looked at the roster from last game and they finally went with the defense I've been asking for all year and not shockingly they only let up 14 shots. Although I'm a bit confused why Severson got 1:30 of SHTOI but Santini didn't have any.
Ducks are dead last in shots per game so we will need a bigger sample size on this group.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Ducks are dead last in shots per game so we will need a bigger sample size on this group.

19 against the Isles today. They are a trash hockey team that is being saved by Gibson. I'm surprised they are only one point away from a playoff spot.

Also, we most likely we'll have to wait until the deadline. We want to keep Lovejoy's value up by playing him.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils are unlikely to get a 1st round pick for those two players because A: right now they play the same position and B: they make $7M combined, which means a lot of teams won't have room for them. Marcus Johansson also has minor trade protection.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I was just looking at some of Lou's trades over the years and can we take a moment to remember cranky Captain Jamie Langenbrunner...

New Jersey's 8th Captain who was traded January 7th 2011 to Dallas for a 3rd round pick in 2012...#74 overall Blake Coleman.

Thanks Captain
Rarely do I play Monday morning QB but not taking Gaudreau still bothers me.

If I recall correctly he was sure he was staying in his home state.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
The Devils are unlikely to get a 1st round pick for those two players because A: right now they play the same position and B: they make $7M combined, which means a lot of teams won't have room for them. Marcus Johansson also has minor trade protection.

Not going to argue about their value, but for a team looking for forward depth there are solutions to those issues.

A: Johansson plays top6, Boyle is fourth line. Boyle has also played a lot of center and I don’t see why a playoff team with weakness in its bottom forwards wouldn’t put him there again.

B: Devils can retain

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I don't remember any background story to him during that draft? But I do remember he was like 5'7 150 pounds in his draft year.
Edit: a thread from 2011
LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)
There's a chance I read it here I suppose, but if I recall correctly he met with Lou and co. at the combine and was very confident the devils would select him.

Usually I'd agree with him being undersized, but Reid Boucher was their selection in the 4th round so Johnny wasn't huge departure from that mold imo.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Any GM in the league would make that trade on draft day. A 45 and a 50 (at most) for a 20-25? You're giving up a 2 to move up twenty spots. Just last year the Rangers gave up #48 overall to move up FOUR spots (from #26 to #22).

dont forget that the 48th was the 2nd from the grabner trade…they moved from 26 to 22 to take k'andre miller who a few here on this board wanted over smith

…should be fun to see how this unfolds in the coming years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->