Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Some interesting stats regarding Zajac.

We know his 5v5 goals were his best since the 13-14 season. In that season he had 14 5v5 goals, and since then has posted totals of 4, 5, 6 and this year 9 goals.

Looking at in terms of goals per 60 his season this year was even more impressive, at .66 g/60, which is actually his 2nd best year(behind 13-14 where he was only slightly better at .70 g/60) since the 09-10 year. Since 13-14 he has put up some paltry #'s in this regard, .23, .3 and .33 g/60 respectively.

Now part of that is shooting %, as he shot a career best 12.16%, his best years prior to this were 09-10 and 13-14 when he shot in the 11's. In the 3 years prior to this year he shot 5.06, 6.25 and 7.06.

But he also did a much better job getting shots at, and on goal this year, and getting shots more often in the HD area's.

His shot's per 60 over the last 4 years: 4.5, 4.82, 4.63 and 5.43.
His individual corsi/60: 8.2, 7.95, 7.85, and 8.8.
individual scoring chances/60: 4.9, 4.76, 4.74, 5.79.
individual HD chances for /60. 1.99, 2.17, 1.91, 3.3

So not only do we see that his improved goal scoring this year is not just anamoly, but performance based, I think we also see that his shooting % is not just an anamoly but performance based as well. Now would I expect 12% shooting next year? No, but if we see similar play, I'd be surprised if he fell back to 6 ish % range.

I'd like to see monthly splits on these stats to see if his goal scoring during the year reflected an increase in shots, ie, was he shooting more later in the year. Because we know he was not putting points on the board early. Perhaps I'll break that down from game logs(or perhaps not;)).

Reactions: OmNomNom

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Some more interesting stuff regarding Zajac, this time in regards to linemates.

In terms of shooting the puck, Zajac was at his best with Noesen on his wing. As Noesen was his most common linemate I think this is more then just short sample anamoly.

7.21 shots/60. 10.81 individual corsi/60. 6.26 individual scoring chances/60. 4.17 individual individual high danger corsi.

Significantly up in all regards. That high danger # is more then double what we have seen the past 3 years.

Now do I think Noesen is the force that is propelling Zajac? No, but I think Zajac in the role he is in with when he plays with Noesen(and Coleman, which whom his #'s are also good. I would love to see how they performed as a line) is a more effective player. He play's a more simple, more aggressive, dirtier game. I think he probably defers too much when with more skilled wingers, and at this point, I don't think the skilled puck moving offense best suits his game.

So that is the direction I would continue to go. I'd pencil in Coleman Zajac Noesen as that 3rd line. Let them get the tough matchups and then grind it up offensively. And again, I'm not expecting 12% shooting, but if healthy, over 70+ I could very much see him matching those 5v5 goal totals, and perhaps get up into the mid teens.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's not like they've even bothered to advertise the grand TV schedule release that'll get a .2 rating in the middle of summer lol...the only reason I knew about it at all is checking the NHL website FOR the schedule after 5 PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad