Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
This is what I'm banking on. My daughter will be 5 this season and I've hesitated because of noise and ticket costs. Now the noise won't be an issue and hopefully some of these games hit stubhub and we can go.

Might still not be a bad idea to do this but I've seen plenty of kids at the arena and at other events wearing ear muffs to protect them from the louder music and noise.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think the Isles would be the ones adding in that scenario.

Ho Sang has played more in the NHL, certainly, but he expressed some frustration with the Islanders' organization at the end of the year and didn't exactly tear up the AHL (granted his teammates were worse). I guess it depends where the depth is coming into the Islanders' organization this season - it looks like it's at left wing, so that deal wouldn't make a ton of sense. I'd still be somewhat surprised if Ho Sang is in the Islanders' organization when the season starts.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Might still not be a bad idea to do this but I've seen plenty of kids at the arena and at other events wearing ear muffs to protect them from the louder music and noise.

Yeah, the joke when she was like two (and we sucked) was that we won't score enough for the noise to be a problem. I might bring a pair of ear muffs or something just in case now though.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

snwbdgislife

Sep 14, 2016
Ho Sang has played more in the NHL, certainly, but he expressed some frustration with the Islanders' organization at the end of the year and didn't exactly tear up the AHL (granted his teammates were worse). I guess it depends where the depth is coming into the Islanders' organization this season - it looks like it's at left wing, so that deal wouldn't make a ton of sense. I'd still be somewhat surprised if Ho Sang is in the Islanders' organization when the season starts.

Lou might prefer Santini straight up (leadership, intangibles, size).

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gross

Our regular season finale is in Sunrise.

It already feels like the season is off to a rocky start because of that.

And we all know Florida will be in the playoffs this year and will be a tough team to beat if we need that win in the finale to secure a playoff spot!:sarcasm:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I am pretty convinced Quenneville will never play for the Devils again given the comments from Shero and others in our organization so I am fine with trading him for whatever
Yeah, I feel the same way, although I'm not sure if I'm ready to say he'll never play a single game for us again. He may be a call up, but I don't think he ever has a permanent role here with the NHL club. I think he's still waiver exempt for one more year, but I fully expect him to be waived in the fall of 2019. Whether or not someone picks him up is a different story.
That's a shame. Quenneville might not be a 1st line guy but I think he could be a player.
I think so too. He's probably better than a guy like Reid Boucher is.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think it all depends on how much work Quenneville puts in getting himself into better shape. If he commits himself to it this summer and comes in to camp in good shape and ready to work his ass off, I think he's still got a chance. If not, I don't expect him to stick around for very long.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think it all depends on how much work Quenneville puts in getting himself into better shape. If he commits himself to it this summer and comes in to camp in good shape and ready to work his ass off, I think he's still got a chance. If not, I don't expect him to stick around for very long.

Maybe. Depends what happens. He could easily end up a throw in for a bigger deal like Blender was in the Vats trade.

If it saves us a pick, I don’t think Shero hesitates.

JQ though is an interesting 1:1 swap.

That value seems out of wack in our favor.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I was curious to see how Hischier's racked up against other 18 year olds in the history of the game...

18-Year Old NHL Players - Regular Season Stats

Pretty damn good.

Since the lockout, the following 18-19 year old rookies had at least 45 even strength points:

Sidney Crosby (53)
Patrik Laine (50)
Auston Matthews (48)
Nathan Mackinnon (46)
Nico Hischier (46)
Clayton Keller (45)
Jeff Skinner (45)

The kid's going to be special.

Reactions: Bleedred and Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Since the lockout, the following 18-19 year old rookies had at least 45 even strength points:

Sidney Crosby (53)
Patrik Laine (50)
Auston Matthews (48)
Nathan Mackinnon (46)
Nico Hischier (46)
Clayton Keller (45)
Jeff Skinner (45)

The kid's going to be special.
I would imagine that of all those players on the list, Nico has the best percentage of even strength points in their 18 year old season? 88.5% of his points were at even strength... 52% of Crosby's points in his rookie season we're ES....

Not sure it means much? Other than that Nico can score the tough points as well as anyone?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Ho Sang has more upside. I would take him over JQ in a heartbeat.

JQ is looking like a tweener at best right now.

I'm not disagreeing that Ho Sang has the higher upside. I just think the value is relatively even. JQ is at .79 PPG in the AHL in 100 games. Ho Sang is .67 PPG in exactly 100 games as well. He's got 23 points in 43 NHL games so there's obviously a difference as JQ only has 4 points in 14 NHL games but I wouldn't say the value is way off. Maybe we add a late pick or something but I can't imagine Ho Sang ever jives with Lou and Co.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Shero's even more secretive than Lou! In fact, he's so secretive, even his secretivity is a secret!

This has proven true with trades, but I think that is often the case in the league at large as well. But the league and "insider reporters" were mentioning the Devils being a big player for Shattenkirk all year leading up to UFA and those reports were right on the money. That was probably the only significant UFA that Shero ever pursued in NJ and it was far from under wraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad