Devils 2016-17 team discussion (players news & notes) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
You might be right about Friedman. I don't read too many speculative articles or rumors, because so rarely do the things mentioned in those articles come to pass. However I do think the burden of proof should be on those believing the rumors rather than those questioning them, but, as I also said, proof is hard to come by when you are talking about why something didn't happen. All I'm really suggesting is that Shero probably made a better informed decision with regard to the Yakupov trade than any of us around here (including myself) know.

I always look forward to Freidmann's 30 thoughts. There is usually some very interesting bits of news in here.

3. Simon Despres’s injury may give Murray more time to finagle his roster. We always talk about the Ducks being a budget team, but they are right up against the cap. A couple of executives think Anaheim might have to trade two players off its roster, never mind one.

A GM indicated Murray has little desire to do a Cam Fowler trade for picks/prospects, because he knows that doesn’t make his team better. (Fowler has three points in three games, one behind Ryan Getzlaf for the team lead.) The Ducks are good and that kind of trade sends the exact opposite message through your room.

The bolded is very interesting, in my opinion. There has to be some reason executives think that. Either pressure Anaheim into moving a body or maybe just even pure speculation based, but these are coming from executives that likely have much more insight on how to run a team or how Anaheim's budgetary concerns are.

A lot of his rumors are like that. Very open-ended but very interesting.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yakupov for Gelinas came out of the Edmonton media, and Edmonton leaks stuff to the press all the time. Mark Spector has also reported that deal as almost happening. My guess is that the Devils were about to do it and then backed out when they got DSP offered for Matteau. Makes little sense to get both guys.

There were reports that Edmonton upped the price and that Chiralli has a bad habit of doing that.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I don't believe everything Friedman reports, sorry. I trust Shero over Friedman. Shero had a reason for what he did.

Ok well most people who follow the league closely know that Friedman is one of the top 2 most reliable insiders. I'm also not disputing the reasoning for the trade, but you seem to like twisting this into an argument. Hope you had fun.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Which is kind of funny considering the price he ended up paying for Larsson.

I would speculate that he gave up on getting more for Hall partially because Shero didn't cave into his demands for Yakupov earlier.

We might in fact have a trade wizard in Shero.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Which is kind of funny considering the price he ended up paying for Larsson.

Well most of the media talk during the fallout was Edmonton should of gotten more.

It always sounded to me that Shero caught him at the right time and closed the deal before he could really delay and shop around.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I always look forward to Freidmann's 30 thoughts. There is usually some very interesting bits of news in here.

The bolded is very interesting, in my opinion. There has to be some reason executives think that. Either pressure Anaheim into moving a body or maybe just even pure speculation based, but these are coming from executives that likely have much more insight on how to run a team or how Anaheim's budgetary concerns are.

A lot of his rumors are like that. Very open-ended but very interesting.

I wonder if the Devils could give Anaheim some cap relief and get something decent for their trouble. From the sound of it there's no way we could get Fowler.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Ok well most people who follow the league closely know that Friedman is one of the top 2 most reliable insiders. I'm also not disputing the reasoning for the trade, but you seem to like twisting this into an argument. Hope you had fun.

You were the one who took issue with my posts first, but I'm the one looking for an argument. Okay. ;)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel like Bob Murray is really going down the rabbit hole there.

Too many disappointing years with little to no playoff success, brings back Carlyle as head coach, now has the team in dire cap trouble.

Still surprised he wasn't banished to the North Pole with Santa last Spring.

He also gave up Palmieri for a pickup full of not very fresh fruit.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
That's great. Didn't even give him a shot for s game or two. He should have been sent down earlier if that was the case.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Is Santini being sent down to play today then get called back before Tuesday or are they actually calling up Helgeson/another d-man?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
That's unfortunate, but he'll benefit from big minutes there. The defense has played well enough here as a unit, it'll be interesting to see what they do when Merrill returns.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I would expect Santini and Wood play today in Providence? 3:05 game time, we should hear about the line up soon?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I would expect Santini and Wood play today in Providence? 3:05 game time, we should hear about the line up soon?

I hope so, 3rd game in 3 days for the ADevs.
They could use the fresh legs and it will be great for both of them to play some hockey.

Santini should have gotten a game up here in the first 5.

Speers should be returned to juniors asap.
He is not even close to being ready for the NHL now.
Kid has good potential but he needs a season or two in juniors/Albany first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad