Devils 2016-17 team discussion (players news & notes) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I hope so, 3rd game in 3 days for the ADevs.
They could use the fresh legs and it will be great for both of them to play some hockey.

Santini should have gotten a game up here in the first 5.

Speers should be returned to juniors asap.
He is not even close to being ready for the NHL now.
Kid has goo potential but he needs a season or two in juniors/Albany first.

Yeah, I agree on every point.

Honestly though, I don't really understand the Speers expirimnet. I honestly don't think he deserves this opportunity and I'm not sure what he is even getting out of playing 7 limited minutes a night other than big league exposure?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I hope so, 3rd game in 3 days for the ADevs.
They could use the fresh legs and it will be great for both of them to play some hockey.

Santini should have gotten a game up here in the first 5.

Speers should be returned to juniors asap.
He is not even close to being ready for the NHL now.
Kid has goo potential but he needs a season or two in juniors/Albany first.

'kid with goo potential' sounds like something out of jared fogels court transcripts

also disappointed by santini stuff. i think we'll see him before 2017 though

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I wouldn't say Speers isn't close. He doesn't look out of place and looks competent defensively. He just isn't really creating much offense. Should definitely be sent down now, but hopefully the experience helps him progress.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
You were the one who took issue with my posts first, but I'm the one looking for an argument. Okay. ;)

You made a completely illogical statement saying that two 1st overall wouldn't get traded to the same team, despite one of them busting. Then you started to say I was blaming Shero for not trading for Yak which I didn't do a single time, so yeah you do clearly like to argue.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I wouldn't say Speers isn't close. He doesn't look out of place and looks competent defensively. He just isn't really creating much offense. Should definitely be sent down now, but hopefully the experience helps him progress.

He was a mess on the PK last night, went to the wrong areas and was easily pushed around.
The staff realize it and did not put him back on the next PK.

There is no good reason not to let him get stronger in juniors this season while at the same time letting him develop his overall game.
SSM is where he belongs this season, not the National Hockey League.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
He was a mess on the PK last night, went to the wrong areas and was easily pushed around.
The staff realize it and did not put him back on the next PK.

There is no good reason not to let him get stronger in juniors this season while at the same time letting him develop his overall game.
SSM is where he belongs this season, not the National Hockey League.

I agree no point in him being here. There was a play where his positioning was clearly off on the PK and it led to a chance, but overall he hasn't been terrible defensively at even strength at least from what I've noticed.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Also if Lindholm is available, you load up the truck to get him. Top 15 Dman who is what 22? They want a young D back so I would offer Severson + McLeod + JJ or a 2nd. Lindholm is a stud, Anaheim is making some terrible decisions lately and if they trade him, it would be another.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I agree no point in him being here. There was a play where his positioning was clearly off on the PK and it led to a chance, but overall he hasn't been terrible defensively at even strength at least from what I've noticed.

Yep, agree he's shown to be a heady player with potential but playing 8 limited minutes against stronger physically players is not in his best interests right now.

He got a taste, good.
Let him go be a captain now at SSM.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I Would imagine that Santini will be back before the Tuesday game. We now have an open roster spot so I'd imagine that they just wanted him to get into a game today in Albany.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

Honestly though, I don't really understand the Speers expirimnet. I honestly don't think he deserves this opportunity and I'm not sure what he is even getting out of playing 7 limited minutes a night other than big league exposure?

Agree as well . Good for Santini, he needs to play and Speers needs to refine his game in juniors.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Also if Lindholm is available, you load up the truck to get him. Top 15 Dman who is what 22? They want a young D back so I would offer Severson + McLeod + JJ or a 2nd. Lindholm is a stud, Anaheim is making some terrible decisions lately and if they trade him, it would be another.

Sevs & McLeod is too hefty for me cuz I thonk McLeod is going to be very good and he can fly.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
You made a completely illogical statement saying that two 1st overall wouldn't get traded to the same team, despite one of them busting. Then you started to say I was blaming Shero for not trading for Yak which I didn't do a single time, so yeah you do clearly like to argue.

I still don't see your evidence for believing that two first overalls would be traded to the same team in a span of a couple of months (Friedman's article doesn't say anything like that--in fact, it's a pretty vague comment, doesn't even say who it was proposed by or if it was the final proposal or if Edmonton tried to up the price last minute as happened at the draft). I can't think of a comparable situation where a team traded two first overalls to a single team in a span of a few months, so, yes, I'm skeptical of that happening, and, yeah, the Friedman article really doesn't support that.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Sevs & McLeod is too hefty for me cuz I thonk McLeod is going to be very good and he can fly.

I think McLeod could be good, a 2nd or 3rd line center, but Lindholm is a top 15 Dman at age 22. He would be far and away our best Dman and he is already elite. Look at the price the Oilers paid for Larsson, and Lindholm is significantly better than him.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think McLeod could be good, a 2nd or 3rd line center, but Lindholm is a top 15 Dman at age 22. He would be far and away our best Dman and he is already elite. Look at the price the Oilers paid for Larsson, and Lindholm is significantly better than him.

Edm didn't have cap issues like the Ducks.

I'm also not sold on a consensus that he's a top defender in the league.
He's very good but I'd like to see more out of him if we are going to pay a hefty price.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I still don't see your evidence for believing that two first overalls would be traded to the same team in a span of a couple of months (Friedman's article doesn't say anything like that--in fact, it's a pretty vague comment, doesn't even say who it was proposed by or if it was the final proposal or if Edmonton tried to up the price last minute as happened at the draft). I can't think of a comparable situation where a team traded two first overalls to a single team in a span of a few months, so, yes, I'm skeptical of that happening, and, yeah, the Friedman article really doesn't support that.

Why does trading Yakupov impact trading Hall to the same team. They are two different players who ended up being traded. Does anyone here actually think that if Yak was traded to us, that the Hall-Larsson traded all of the sudden wouldn't happen? There is no evidence, but its using logic. How many teams have had as many 1st as the Oilers? None in recent history, so you can't really expect there to be evidence. Yakupov is a bust, he isn't valued as a 1st overall, and quite frankly it does not matter at this point where he was drafted but you seem to think it does.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I wouldnt trade our best RHD for a LHD. You open up another hole. Besides that is a huge package.

There is still a premium on RHD

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Why does trading Yakupov impact trading Hall to the same team. They are two different players who ended up being traded. Does anyone here actually think that if Yak was traded to us, that the Hall-Larsson traded all of the sudden wouldn't happen? There is no evidence, but its using logic. How many teams have had as many 1st as the Oilers? None in recent history, so you can't really expect there to be evidence. Yakupov is a bust, he isn't valued as a 1st overall, and quite frankly it does not matter at this point where he was drafted but you seem to think it does.

So, your position is you have no evidence that a team would trade two first overalls to the same team in a short timeframe and that there is indeed no precedent for that, but I am illogical for stating as much? Okay. I'll accept that, I guess...

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ

Not getting it either with Speers. Not that I don't think he's capable of having an impact in the near future.
But right now, he's a total non-factor every time he's on the ice. Maybe they feel that he, more than anyone, needs this NHL time to help develop his game before sending him back to Juniors. I don't know, but whatever it is, he's getting some sort of special treatment. I thought both Quenville and Blandisi deserved a spot sooner than him. I imagine we'll see one of those two once Speers is sent back.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

They'd laugh at us

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not getting it either with Speers. Not that I don't think he's capable of having an impact in the near future.
But right now, he's a total non-factor every time he's on the ice. Maybe they feel that he, more than anyone, needs this NHL time to help develop his game before sending him back to Juniors. I don't know, but whatever it is, he's getting some sort of special treatment. I thought both Quenville and Blandisi deserved a spot sooner than him. I imagine we'll see one of those two once Speers is sent back.

I don't think Quenneville is going to be down long. His shot has been really impressive. In fact, I don't know how he didn't score more goals in juniors. His shot and release look a lot like Boucher's did while in Albany. If you count the shootout he's scored a goal in every Albany game so far this season.
It's early but Quenneville has been very impressive so far.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I don't think Quenneville is going to be down long. His shot has been really impressive. In fact, I don't know how he didn't score more goals in juniors. His shot and release look a lot like Boucher's did while in Albany. If you count the shootout he's scored a goal in every Albany game so far this season.
It's early but Quenneville has been very impressive so far.

Who do you foresee being the first callup?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Who do you foresee being the first callup?

Impossible to tell I think? I mean technically Santini got sent down and he might be back before the week is over. Wood similar?

Quenneville is performing. If it is a positional need Lappin is really the only RW that could be called up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pietila was high on the list for a 4th line spot. Personally think he's better than Josefson at most things.

Big problem is all those guys are C/LW and mostly LW. Quenneville, Blandisi, Wood, Pietila, Coleman.

Lappin would appear to have the edge based on position(although he hasn't done much so far in Albany ) Quenneville on talent...Wood or Pietila for bottom 6 "fit"

It's hard to tell.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
They'd laugh at us

You're crazy. They would have a very hard time saying no to that offer, and I would be a bit annoyed at our GM's lack of asset management for offering that trade. The gap is not nearly big enough in talent with Severson/Mcloed to Lindholm to act like it's just a quantity for quality trade.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Anaheim is cap strapped, remember that.

It's why they had to deal Hagelin for that bum Perron last season.

Then maybe they'll take Moore for Fowler :) Moore is cheap, signed for 2 more years and can play top 4 minutes....I don't particularly like Fowler but I like a steal when it's available :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad