Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Gotta think Quincey's fresh out of the box playoff beard will increase demand for his services. He just looks like the type of dude that would go on a long cup run.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
What is the injury to Zacha? As we are going no where this year, okay. But he was making major contributions whenever we were competitive. Both on the power play and his line with Josefson and whomever was generating a strong forecheck too.

We will be very much less competitive with him in IR.

Finally both Moore and Quincey should be of deadline interest. Both experienced guys who've been in good locker rooms who could contribute on a contender. Quincey more than Moore for sure. All that Red Wings pedigree.

Zacha's concussed. The IR designation is probably to give flexibility with the trade deadline looming also. Hynes stated over the weekend that he would definitely not play tonight but could be on the road trip depending on his progression.

Moore probably doesn't have much interest at the deadline, but who knows.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
What's the best place for Auvitu to develop - Albany or the parent club - ? - That's the entire question. As I haven't been watching him in Albany, I wonder what folks who have seen his play there would say.

AHL is too easy for him. He needs another look with the big club. It was a shame that he got hurt in his first shift during his last call up. :(

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I liked Quincey. Thought he played well in his short stint here. Hope he finds success if traded.

His short stick bothers me.

He is tough, has a good shot too, but he's been terrible at passing the puck.
And skating is substandard, but, if a good team pairs him with a fast skating RH d-man he can be effective.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What's the best place for Auvitu to develop - Albany or the parent club - ? - That's the entire question. As I haven't been watching him in Albany, I wonder what folks who have seen his play there would say.

He turns 28 in a few months

chances are "he is what he is" at this point.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015

Which is still much better than some of the guys we are trotting out there (Moore/Lovejoy/Hegelson). And honestly even Santini at this current moment.

But aside from that, good for Blandisi to get a look tonight in a legit spot. He's definitely got the talent to stick.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

My only thought on this, and I don't even know much it matters to be honest, is he's never played on smaller ice like he has to now. Again, I don't even know how much that matters in this day and age. I do however think he showed enough during his time up that he SHOULD get another shot.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Andy Greene wasn't "he is what he is" at 28.

using one extreme example to prove a point isn't exactly smart....

like I've said, I have no problems giving Auvitu another shot. But lets not act like hes going to be anything more than a #6/7 DMan most likely.

Camille the Eel

Adjustment to smaller NHL ice was definitely a problem though. Exiting the zone, he'd go to out skate slower guys but they'd get an angle and slam him into the boards. Started happening a lot. The surface wasn't there and his instinct was still telling him to do it.

Strength and reach, the ability to absorb contact and still make the play, the instinct for the quick pass to support, will need to be enhanced if pure skating on a larger surface is not going to be the default mode.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Maybe he's a quadruple A player, but he's definitely proving he's better than the AHL.

Might as well give him another shot down the stretch and if he flops then you know he's not in the future plans. But if he does well then maybe you can get something out of him down the road. It'd be impossible to expect anything out of him if he doesn't play a lot here down the stretch though.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
How old was Rafalski when he came here?

He was 26 when he signed (27 when debuted). But he wasn't exactly unsung. He was widely regarded as the best player in the world not in the NHL.

And in fairness to that situation, Rafalski came in and had Stevens, Niedermayer, Daneyko, and Brodeur to help him + we were still playing the trap, the rules were different, etc. Thats a safety blanket that just doesn't exist here now regardless of how good Cory is. Rafalski's comparison that works right now is only that he came over from Europe in his mid to late 20s. The game is different today, but the team is even more drastically different.

Last edited:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Andy Greene wasn't "he is what he is" at 28.

Yes he was. Greene cemented himself as a top four defenseman in his 26/27 year old season in 09-10.

Rafalski was 27 when he came over and immediately looked like a top four defenseman.

Auvitu could still improve, but he's more MA Gragnani than Andy Greene or Brian Rafalski in my view.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
using one extreme example to prove a point isn't exactly smart....

like I've said, I have no problems giving Auvitu another shot. But lets not act like hes going to be anything more than a #6/7 DMan most likely.

I was just stating that you never know. I for one think Auvitu won't even hit the 75 games played mark in the NHL.

Yes he was. Greene cemented himself as a top four defenseman in his 26/27 year old season in 09-10.

Rafalski was 27 when he came over and immediately looked like a top four defenseman.

Auvitu could still improve, but he's more MA Gragnani than Andy Greene or Brian Rafalski in my view.

I think Auvitu is gonna be a career AHLer that puts up a ton of points in the A but can't convert it to NHL. Then he'll eventually go back and play overseas.

Did not realize that Auvitu has 10pts in 19GP in the AHL. Huh.

He's a good player for Albany. Not for NJ.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I think Auvitu is gonna be a career AHLer that puts up a ton of points in the A but can't convert it to NHL. Then he'll eventually go back and play overseas.

He's a good player for Albany. Not for NJ.

If we had a coach that believed in possession and analytics, then Auvitu would be here. If he won't be a good player for us in NJ, I'll bet money he finds a consistent landing spot somewhere else in the NHL. The guy isn't some scrub.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If we had a coach that believed in possession and analytics, then Auvitu would be here. If he won't be a good player for us in NJ, I'll bet money he finds a consistent landing spot somewhere else in the NHL. The guy isn't some scrub.

You have no idea how much stock anybody in the organization puts on possession or analytics. Plus there are things other than shot totals that matter when it comes to being an NHL defenseman. I agree that Auvitu should get a chance, but please stop acting like he's some surefire thing just wasting away in the AHL.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Auvitu deserves another shot and will get one when the trash is taken out at the deadline. I think he becomes a decent player.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think he can be a Mark Streit at the NHL level.

I don't even think Streit came to the NHL until he was 30, so Auvitu has the head start there.

Actually, Streit was 27 when he debuted in the NHL. Same age as Auvitu is now. For some reason, I think I either thought Streit was two years older than he is or that he started playing in the NHL two years after he actually did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad