Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't remember the last time I saw him try for the one timer on the PP (or even strength) from the sharp angle.

He was doing it a lot in the first few weeks of the season and kept shooting it wide.

One of his goals when he got the hat trick in Raleigh back in November was like that. I think his last goal might have been too, but it took a weird bounce off a skate or stick of a Carolina guy.

mamfredo8

Apr 30, 2014
Cologne
I can't remember the last time I saw him try for the one timer on the PP (or even strength) from the sharp angle.

He was doing it a lot in the first few weeks of the season and kept shooting it wide.

One of his goals when he got the hat trick in Raleigh back in November was like that. I think his last goal might have been too, but it took a weird bounce off a skate or stick of a Carolina guy.

He needs a set-up player to utilize this shot. Outside of Zajac (who plays with Hall) and Palmieri (both last year) I don't see many set-up plays this season.

I'm really disappointed with Cammy's goal scoring this season, but to me it looks like its not only on him. He thrived, when Hall was injured. He and Henrique doesn't seem to have on-ice chemistry. From the little I see in Germany, he had to play right wing for a long stretch (which isn't his natual position) and had to play a lot on the point during the power play (and not on the half bord, where he coul uitilize his shot on one knee). All this to get other players (Henrique and Palmieri) going. It seems although not be to helpful to play him with Josefson and Noesen, if you want to get him going. Nothing against them, be there are no offensive dynamos....

Have Henrique or Pamlieri beeing benched, while playing bad (in the begining of this season) - no. Not sure, if there is another issue between him and Hynes - or the management tried to convince him to waive his NTC.

Hope he doesn't through in the white towel and tries to regenerate his play.

mamfredo8

Apr 30, 2014
Cologne
He needs a set-up player to utilize this shot. Outside of Zajac (who plays with Hall) and Palmieri (both last year) I don't see many set-up plays this season.

I'm really disappointed with Cammy's goal scoring this season, but to me it looks like its not only on him. He thrived, when Hall was injured. He and Henrique doesn't seem to have on-ice chemistry. From the little I see in Germany, he had to play right wing for a long stretch (which isn't his natual position) and had to play a lot on the point during the power play (and not on the half bord, where he coul uitilize his shot on one knee). All this to get other players (Henrique and Palmieri) going. It seems although not be to helpful to play him with Josefson and Noesen, if you want to get him going. Nothing against them, be there are no offensive dynamos....

Have Henrique or Pamlieri beeing benched, while playing bad (in the begining of this season) - no. Not sure, if there is another issue between him and Hynes - or the management tried to convince him to waive his NTC.

Hope he doesn't through in the white towel and tries to regenerate his play.

sorry - throw inthe white towel

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You can't really say he's "fallen off a cliff" yet. Players go through slumps. Some longer than others. The likelihood of him scoring 20 points in 82 games next year is the same as the likelihood he scores 65+ points. Cammalleri is still a good hockey player. Remember when everyone and their mother thought Eric Staal "fell of a cliff"? Don't write off Cammalleri yet.

Fair, and Staal struggled with TWO teams. I'll give Camm till the start of next year before writing him off as Ryder but it's trending that way, the level of invisibility has been alarming.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Zajac on pace for 52 points, Palms on pace for 53 points, Hall on pace for 57 with 10 missed games, Rico on pace for 44. I would imagine most bottom 2 scoring teams don't have two 30 goal scorers one year and three 50+ point guys the next year. Those are some good pieces for a team that doesn't score. Young guys will be one year older and we could still add a top 6 forward and offensive D. Low 20's wouldn't be a crazy goal for scoring next year.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Except he's supposedly already turned down numerous offers in that vicinity.

I think it's pretty clear this is a geographical thing for Shattenkirk. He wants to play in the New York area.

Regarding that tweet with LeBrun's comments, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to NJ and NYR for Shattenkirk this summer. He'll have to weigh his lifelong dream of playing in blue vs an extra ~$15M over 7 years.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I think it's pretty clear this is a geographical thing for Shattenkirk. He wants to play in the New York area.

Regarding that tweet with LeBrun's comments, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to NJ and NYR for Shattenkirk this summer. He'll have to weigh his lifelong dream of playing in blue vs an extra ~$15M over 7 years.

You're being awfully optimistic. I read somewhere that it was NYR or Boston. Also, not sure what those figures represent. Us "overpaying" him by that much or the Rangers being restrained by the cap. I think our owners would choke before coughing up $60M or so for one contract.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

i like the idea of us being used as leverage against the rangers. if they want him badly, it's gonna cost them. if they don't want him bad enough, we might have the $$$ to throw at him. Gorton is gonna have to shift quite a few things around. it's not like they have the biggest contracts coming off http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/new-york-rangers/

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I'd be in favour of getting Shattenkirk, it would likely take 8 years and probably at least $6.5 million at the lowest. Easily would be our best Dman and is exactly what we need. Difficult to acquire a Dman of his caliber through trade.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
You're being awfully optimistic. I read somewhere that it was NYR or Boston. Also, not sure what those figures represent. Us "overpaying" him by that much or the Rangers being restrained by the cap. I think our owners would choke before coughing up $60M or so for one contract.

$60M is ludicrous :laugh:

My "~$15M over 7 years" is probably exaggerated, but, let's say NYR can't go over $6M AAV and NJ has $7.5M AAV on the table... is his Rangers fandom worth $10.5M to him?

That's what I was getting at.

i like the idea of us being used as leverage against the rangers. if they want him badly, it's gonna cost them. if they don't want him bad enough, we might have the $$$ to throw at him. Gorton is gonna have to shift quite a few things around. it's not like they have the biggest contracts coming off http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/new-york-rangers/

Most notably, Zibanejad is a pending RFA and will get paid. Even if they only qualify/re-sign two of Pirri, Fast, Puempel and Lindberg, those ~$900K contracts add up quickly on a cap-strapped team.

If they move Nash or one of their deadweight D contracts, they'll almost certainly have to retain.

I think the absolute, realistic max they can go on Shattenkirk is $6M AAV. And, cognizant of the context and knowing how shrewd he is, I think Shero starts at $7M.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'd be in favour of getting Shattenkirk, it would likely take 8 years and probably at least $6.5 million at the lowest. Easily would be our best Dman and is exactly what we need. Difficult to acquire a Dman of his caliber through trade.

Only the team who has his rights can give him 8 years. If we sign him as a UFA we can only offer him 7 years.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Which can only happen if we acquire his rights via trade before July 1.

I would so easily send a 3rd Washington's way to get another leg-up on NYR.

7 years $42M, or 8 years $56M.. you tell me :laugh:

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Guys the Rangers can't sign Shattenkirk unless they trade Nash and take almost nothing back. They also have Pirri and especially Zibinajead who are RFAs and who I believe are both arbitration eligible. Mika is gonna go from making $2.5m to over $5m easily. It's not like the Rangers can just sign him even if they do all that, we can offer such a better deal it's not even funny.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Guys the Rangers can't sign Shattenkirk unless they trade Nash and take almost nothing back. They also have Pirri and especially Zibinajead who are RFAs and who I believe are both arbitration eligible. Mika is gonna go from making $2.5m to over $5m easily. It's not like the Rangers can just sign him even if they do all that, we can offer such a better deal it's not even funny.

That's why I'm saying $6M may just be the absolute max they can go for him. They may even cap out at $5.5M and cross their fingers Shattenkirk will give them a hometown discount (which I wouldn't rule out, either).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad