Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] D Kurtis MacDermid signs extension with Devils (3 years, $1.15M AAV)

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Rempe is single handily going to bring enforcers/goons back into the league (well one per team anyways) lol
The best part for the rangers is that rempe can play a little and hes only 21 while alot of these goons are totally useless.

If teams have the dress goons for a goofy 21 year old guitar play, that a W for rangers

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Ultimately, it's up to the coaching staff to figure out how much he plays and we still have no clue who's going to be on it in NJ.

If the guy's play drops off at any point this can just waive him and be done with no impact on the cap. A shorter deal at a higher cap hit would've been worse from a cap perspective.

If you're going to let MacDermid walk - then how would you address dealing with Rempe?

Is the extra $375K cap hit versus league minimum really an issue?
I am not 100% convinced Rempe is on the roster next season. He needs a lot of work. Rangers calling him up just for the NJ games doesn't seem likely unless they view him as one of the first call-ups going forward.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
How exactly does he address dealing with Rempe? I believe NJ had to deliver a response last game, and needed someone to fight Rempe (and Rempe had to fight). MacDermid did that job admirably. But the plan is now to match lines and have MacDermid chase Rempe every game from now on? Also why was this the only option, to give him three years or to not sign any one capable of fighting, including MacDermid?

If you absolutely need someone to fight (and I do believe NJ needed someone to fight that game) you can either call up an AHL guy or acquire a fighter which is exactly what NJ did with MacDermid in the first place.

Again I can do math and understand you can bury hits, the cap hit isn't the issue, the issue is NJ wants to give a bad player multiple man games over many years. Also I do recognize this isn't worth crying over. You are talking about optimizing your scratches ideally, and a player who likely doesn't play a single postseason game.

Yes, you are correct - NJ had to deliver a response last game, which they did. Hopefully they don't have to do so again, but given Rempe's short track record...I wouldn't feel too confident in that. I consider the matter closed at this point, so no need to have MacDermid chase Rempe around unless Rempe injures and/or lays another dirty hit on another Devils player. If/when that happens, it will be nice to have a player like MacDermid in the organization.

MacDermid's roster spot and cap hit should be a non-issue, but I guess we'll see if him having a roster spot costs the Devils any players via waivers this Fall. Otherwise, you don't want to have prospects sitting around most games as the 13th or 14th forward - so if that's largely MacDermid's role (which will be determined by a yet-to-be-named coaching staff) in addition to being a good locker room guy, then I'm fine with it. I'd also rather not have to pay additional assets to trade for another guy like MacDermid when he only costs some cap space and cash at this point or rely on an AHL-caliber player. If he winds up playing too many games over more qualified players, I'll cross that bridge when we get to it and surely roast the coaching staff.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
The whole “he’s versatile he can play wing or defense” thing isn’t really a thing. Yeah, you can choose to play him in the position of a defender but unless you are dressing 7 defenseman for the night, that’s an absolutely terrible strategy. He’s much, much, much easier to hide as a 12th forward.

He didn’t get this extension from the Devils for his amazing versatility, he got it because he’s well-liked in the room and he’s huge and tough and will throw fists whenever asked to by his team.
At least under Ruff, NJ wanted 4 d pairs in practice, and targeted Mason Geertsen who is basically an even worse version of MacDermid for that purpose as a versatile healthy scratch that can fight if called upon. Last year they also used Brenden Smith similarly who I don't expect them to re-sign. I do believe the fact that he can play LW/D mattered significantly in terms of getting a deal.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What is the problem with this deal?

Rempe injured 2 Devils in only 5 minutes of ice time against the Devils this season and got tossed out of both games. He's not going anywhere. Rangers are not only the Devils' biggest rivals, but a team they most likely will be battling with the next few seasons to come out of the Metro/East. You have to have a player in the organization that can take him on next season and probably more after that.

MacDermid is a known player by the Devils, seemingly well liked in the locker room, versatile enough to play forward or defense and is fine in a role as a 13th/14th forward that is a frequent healthy scratch and can drop the gloves if necessary. If not MacDermid, than who do you suggest the Devils bring in for that role next season and how much do you think they would cost? Otherwise, how do you suggest dealing with a goon like Rempe running and injuring your players?

If I'm not mistaken, you can bury MacDermid's full cap hit of $1.15M in the minors. In which case, the term is irrelevant to the cap as you can just waive the player at any point without taking a penalty to the cap. Can't imagine the $375K difference between MacDermid's cap hit versus league minimum is going to really be detrimental to NJ's cap next season.
The problem is Rempe and Tom Wilson can actually play hockey. MacDiarmid can't. Mac is a liability on the ice. Opposing teams want Mac in the lineup!

Reactions: Hobnobs

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
So...the plan would be to draft and then call up some 18 year old 6'0" 187 pound kid that surely is nowhere NEAR being NHL ready to square off against the the 6'7" 241 pound Rempe instead just re-signing a 6'5" 233 pound heavyweight with 265 games of NHL experience that you know is already well-liked in the locker room. Seems like child abuse.

At least that kid can play hockey. Unlike MacDermid.

But whatever. We all saw how well it worked out for Rags when they signed a useless goon to deal with just one player in the league. :snide:

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Congrats KurMaDer!

1715974097474.jpeg

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Three years? Seems like two too many but maybe he can be useful for some specific instances. I'm not sure how much NHL quality hockey he has left in him but probably not a bad guy to have around the locker room with a young small team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
When things get down and dirty, it's nice to be able to look down the bench and have a guy like McDermid ready to go. Anyone expecting anything other than a fighter and physical presence is being silly... if he could play hockey he'd be worth three times that amount, at least.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I’m surprised they’re keeping him after he just stood there like a goof and watched Nemec get fed. His one job is to deter exactly that.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
With the term I sorta get it in the sense if they want to do the Utica shuffle with him it is much less likely that another team would claim him on a 3-year deal.

He has a designated role and even when he is in if the Devils fall behind in the game they just double shift Hughes/Bratt/Timo.

The really funny part is when you do the math of his contract on a per minute basis. It is $1.15m for at most 200-250 NHL minutes over the course of the season. Top players play 8-10 times that so on a per minute basis this is like a $9m-$11m rate lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Dave having a hissy fit on the Devils Insiders podcast. Contract is worth it for his head exploding alone.

Because this is the biggest roster issue.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Gotta laugh at Devils claiming he's "versatile" being able to play defense and forward. I bet he could play goal or water polo just as effectively as he plays D. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad