Development of Russians in CHL v KHL

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
It's not about this player's mom, though, but a general rule: you want your kid on the CHL team, you gotta have sex with someone, who makes decisions. At least, it's what the interview says... well, actually, it's not a general rule, but according to the interview, this happens, and she (or he) even knows about certain cases.

Wait, that sex thing is serious or ? Link please...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The article might say it but I call bull**** on that. Some of these teams are practically begging for these kids to come play for them. I seriously doubt that is happening. Sounds like some garbage propaganda to scare Russian parents into keeping their kids at home for fear of having to have sex with some coach in North America. Complete and utter bull****. Whose parent is this in the interview?

Alas, no names. But you can imagine, it's from parents of one of Russian kids, who played in the OHL and got back home. They say, their kid was lucky to get very nice billets, and they still keep being friends with that Canadian family.

Reactions: vorky

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You need to understand that I just picked headlines, you need to read the article to see all details. One such detail is that it differs team by team, family by family (billets)

A mother expressed their opinion that Canadian families do not take eating habbits too seriously, no breakfast, a pizza for a dinner. Not the best thing for a prospect. Russians are used to another way of living, especially sportsmen.

It is not only about video games, but a regime which is not beneficial for a young prospect.

Yes, not every billet. To quote her, even if a billet is big, a player living in the basement. Not my words, just quoting.

Russian prospects moving to Canada due to not getting chance in Russia. She just said the same happens in Canada when a local prospect can buy his ice time.

Agree, a pretty vague statement for such a decision. And that is a problem. Parents and players are misinformed, they lie to them.

I know the many of billets of my local WHL team most of them live in the best neighborhoods in town and have homes in the upper $700,000+ limit. Many 5 or 6+ bedrooms. One of the Russian and Czech players we had stayed at my buddies parents house which they literally have their own floor upstairs with it's own full bathroom. Talk about dire straights...

The parents should be doing their due diligence then. The internet exists, use it. Research places, ask questions on forums.

While I do agree there is a major culture shock between being developed here and in Russia. Players in Canada have a lot more freedom to just do whatever they want. There is no strict regime to follow. You want to be fit? Go work out on your own. You want to eat good? Do so on your own terms. No one is going to hold your hand over here. You are your own man in Canada and if you want to be able to be an adult and play in the NHL you have to learn to make decisions for yourself that benefit you.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
It's not about this player's mom, though, but a general rule: you want your kid on the CHL team, you gotta have sex with someone, who makes decisions. At least, it's what the interview says... well, actually, it's not a general rule, but according to the interview, this happens, and she (or he) even knows about certain cases.

LMAO!

Sure, and maybe theres a case where a Russian kid stayed in Russian and his mom ended up having sex with a goat. But that doesn't mean Russian parents have to have sex with goats in order for their kids to play hockey there.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The problem doesnt lie in claiming it doesnt happen, it might be happening, theres bad people every where and the CHL is probably not cut off from this. The problem is acting like this is a NA exclusive thing, it can happen anywhere, people try to take advantage in every single country, its not exclusive to a certain culture, its the nature of our system.

Nah, they don't say, it's NA exclusive thing, because Russian people are sure, there are even worse things happen in Russia. It's just people think, that Canada is different, but this interview says, it's not.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Alas, no names. But you can imagine, it's from parents of one of Russian kids, who played in the OHL and got back home. They say, their kid was lucky to get very nice billets, and they still keep being friends with that Canadian family.

Without a name this could be literally anyone.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Nah, they don't say, it's NA exclusive thing, because Russian people are sure, there are even worse things happen in Russia. It's just people think, that Canada is different, but this intervies says, it's not.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Just that it is extremely far fetched to happen in this case and that without anyone coming forward it is pretty ridiculous to claim. I mean what would a parent have to lose by coming forward about something like this when their kid is out of major junior? If it's happening make a public statement about it and put your name on it. Until then it's a baseless statement.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The article might say it but I call bull**** on that. Some of these teams are practically begging for these kids to come play for them. I seriously doubt that is happening. Sounds like some garbage propaganda to scare Russian parents into keeping their kids at home for fear of having to have sex with some coach in North America. Complete and utter bull****. Whose parent is this in the interview?
The interview is not about a Russian mother & sex with a coach, but a Canadian mother.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nah, they don't say, it's NA exclusive thing, because Russian people are sure, there are even worse things happen in Russia. It's just people think, that Canada is different, but this intervies says, it's not.
This interview is clearly trying to take a bad light on canada with things that happen every where... "gaming until 3AM"??? As if Russia didnt have one of the most notorious gamer comunity in the world :laugh:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
This interview is clearly trying to take a bad light on canada with things that happen every where... "gaming until 3AM"??? As if Russia didnt have one of the most notorious gamer comunity in the world :laugh:

Well, it's a different culture in Russia. There is a lot of control over young kids in sport teams here. If you play video games untill 3AM, you can pretty easily lose your roster spot the next day. Or even get out of the team.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

All I'm getting from this interview is that heir kids have zero self restraint when finally given some freedom.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
All I'm getting from this interview is that heir kids have zero self restraint when finally given some freedom.

Exactly. There is a lot of control over kids in Russia. From teams' management and from parents. So when there is no control, those kids very often go wild.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

I know the many of billets of my local WHL team most of them live in the best neighborhoods in town and have homes in the upper $700,000+ limit. Many 5 or 6+ bedrooms. One of the Russian and Czech players we had stayed at my buddies parents house which they literally have their own floor upstairs with it's own full bathroom. Talk about dire straights...

The parents should be doing their due diligence then. The internet exists, use it. Research places, ask questions on forums.

While I do agree there is a major culture shock between being developed here and in Russia. Players in Canada have a lot more freedom to just do whatever they want. There is no strict regime to follow. You want to be fit? Go work out on your own. You want to eat good? Do so on your own terms. No one is going to hold your hand over here. You are your own man in Canada and if you want to be able to be an adult and play in the NHL you have to learn to make decisions for yourself that benefit you.
It was said in the interview that this cases are not happening to everyone. She also said a prospect should complain to a club, which he does not do for multiple reasons.

Yes, parents are to be blamed. But also the CHL & the Russian Hockey Federation. The FHR should inform parents about such cases, explain them the risks. The CHL should ban agents who allow such things to their clients. There are also reports that an agent do not care about a prospect after he is landed in America. No help from an agent. And a prospect do not say anything to parents. Therefore minors should be protected and international transfers of minors should be limited.

Culture shock, yes. A prospect of such age should live with a family, not strangers somewhere in a foreign country.

Nah, they don't say, it's NA exclusive thing, because Russian people are sure, there are even worse things happen in Russia. It's just people think, that Canada is different, but this interview says, it's not.
Lets hope parents will realise this one day.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It was said in the interview that this cases are not happening to everyone. She also said a prospect should complain to a club, which he does not do for multiple reasons.

Yes, parents are to be blamed. But also the CHL & the Russian Hockey Federation. The FHR should inform parents about such cases, explain them the risks. The CHL should ban agents who allow such things to their clients. There are also reports that an agent do not care about a prospect after he is landed in America. No help from an agent. And a prospect do not say anything to parents. Therefore minors should be protected and international transfers of minors should be limited.

Culture shock, yes. A prospect of such age should live with a family, not strangers somewhere in a foreign country.

Lets hope parents will realise this one day.

Kids from all over our country don't live with their parents from age 16 onwards. Very few kids get drafted by their local team. Some move from Vancouver to Manitoba. It is part of getting used to the life of being an adult who will be on the road constantly.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Maybe they just need a bit more freedom over there.

Hockey is an expensive sport, most Russian parents just don't have enough money to pay for their kids, so teams compensate everything from the very begining. And those, who pay, they order the music, as we say. On the other hand, this system works.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There have been plenty of stories about how shady the KHL is from actual players playing in it. The NHL doesn't need to start the propaganda machine about the KHL they do a fine job casting a shadow on themselves.
LOL Keep repeating your matras till you firmly believe them.

It was never about a fight of two propagandas. It's you actually who brings this up. Why? ;)

Just admit it comforts you to live in a familiar world with shady Russians.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
LOL Keep repeating your matras till you firmly believe them.

It was never about a fight of two propagandas. It's you actually who brings this up. Why? ;)

Just admit it comforts you to live in a familiar world with shady Russians.

I never brought it up I responded to your post... so I guess its you who brought it up.... why? ;)

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I never brought it up I responded to your post... so I guess its you who brought it up.... why? ;)

[mod]
[mod]

Anyhow, the article in question is part of a larger spectrum. It's a counterpoint 'grass isn't always greener' response to other articles detailing the shortcomings of our hockey program.

Seriously, why does a significant segment of North American hockey culture, particularly Canadians, still employ an all encompassing "us vs shady Russia" attitude?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The CHL experience is no walk in the park, but this story seems tabloidy. Not worth the commotion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad