Prospect Info: Development camp

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I like the idea of giving him the Pietrangelo treatment.

You give him nine games spread over the first fifteen games of the season. He gets more time to recover in all aspects, and the games he's in the press box he gets to spend analyzing with a coach.

Then you return him to junior. He plays in the WJC.

Then you do that the next season. He plays in the WJC.

Then, finally, he might just be NHL ready after working very diligently on his weaknesses. It won't be a confidence loss for him at all if he understands it's a primer.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
So do you think Nurse plays in the NHL to start the season before returning to junior?

I really don't see the harm in giving nurse a 9 game try out to let him experience what the NHL is really like before going back down, then he might have a better idea of what to work on and make him more hungry after getting a taste of the NHL.

I wouldn't want him staying past the 9 games though.

.... I think its a good idea. Give him a taste of the NHL game. It will give him a better idea of what he is building to. He can still develop and Season in the OHL and AHL for as long as he needs.

Its not like its going to hurt his confidence. He'll know that its probably over his head. IMO only good can come from him getting a taste of the NHL before he resumes his development in the OHL.

Turns out I read that as Nurse playing in the NHL or going back to junior. Whoops. I'd have no problem at all with Nurse getting 1-9 games before being sent back, would be good for him to get a small taste of the NHL.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013

You give him nine games spread over the first fifteen games of the season. He gets more time to recover in all aspects, and the games he's in the press box he gets to spend analyzing with a coach.

Then, finally, he might just be NHL ready after working very diligently on his weaknesses. It won't be a confidence loss for him at all if he understands it's a primer.

If by the time the season starts he's capable of doing this without his inexperience being a detriment to the team (Could be evaluated in the pre season), then I would definitely like to see this done.
All indications point to him being a smart guy with solid character and therefore should be able to understand the process and not get down on himself when he's sent back to Jr.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Nurse is more raw than Pietro though. I'd send him straight to junior in year one and start the process year 2.

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
I want to go so bad to watch but live on south side of edmontnon commute by bus would take way too long.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Juj Dredd?
This needs to be made official. Someone needs to make this into a sign for the camp.

A name that stood out to me on that list was Kenny Morrison. That's the kid that was seen with the Oilers brass at an Oilers game wearing an Oilers hat. Danny Dekeyser's former teammate. I was hoping that we'd sign him by now, hopefully he shows us that he has the goods and we sign him now or at least let him know that when he wants to turn pro that we are ready to sign him.

Great catch BBO, totally forgot about him. He must be planning on sticking around school at least another year. Glad to see he's being kept in the loop with the org., could be an exciting propspect to add. Outscored Dekeyser, who's a couple years older, plus it's always good to see some kids from the Llyod make it to the bigs.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Love Klefboms attitude!

I agree, his interview really impressed me. Excited to see him play this season. Hope he fits in the top 4 real nice.

Fowler did the same thing in Aneheim.

Different player. different situation. I think its probably better for nurse to go back. Not that I've seen him play at all or anything, haha, but i think its a better idea. Let him develop.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

Agreed, this is the way to go.

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
Different player. different situation. I think its probably better for nurse to go back. Not that I've seen him play at all or anything, haha, but i think its a better idea. Let him develop.

Agreed, We have other prospects that are ahead of him ATM with Klefbom and Marincin not to mention Musil and Gernat turning pro. Let Nurse develop since he can be something special if all goes right I do not want to rush him.

And WOW on Zharkov! Lets hope he can develop, his size is something we need in the future. (and now...)

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Can't see them giving Nurse 9 games at all long look in pre season to give him the experience , then sent back near end of it,

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Anyone heading down tomorrow? I'd love to read some opinions of how everyone is looking either by posts here or a twitter account I can follow.

Agreed, this is the way to go.

Agreed. Panda Bear's plan seems to be the best way to bring along Nurse. Unless he's totally in over his head, that is the way to go.

I haven't seen any video yet but I know a person working at the camp. Apparently it's all muscle on Zharkov.

Wow. If he can still move around at that weight he could be a beast.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

As much as Id love to see Nurse play in the NHL, ill wait the 2-3 years. Id be ok with the 9 games, hell even just 3-4 to give him a sense on the speed and what he needs to improve on.

At this point in time Marincin is probaly the best option and will be for this season and maybe next (then Nurse will pass him). If we need a call up it should be Marincin, not Nurse

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Very encouraged by those words from Klefbom. I've always been a bit worried about his commitment to show up here.

How is that possible? The kid has said nothing but positive things. Maybe because he was kind of quiet when drafted not knowing English very well?

He's spent most of the last 4-5 months in Edmonton rehabbing. Not sure why you would think that at all.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I haven't seen any video yet but I know a person working at the camp. Apparently it's all muscle on Zharkov.

I know of late, he's been in Philly working out with a fitness program.

Russia's gonna be big and tough at the World Juniors this year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Klefbom gives me the captain vibe. If theres any prospect/player that will challenge Hall for the captaincy, its him or Smid. Looks like a smart, dedicated guy. I love how they brought him over to meet the team earlier in the season, thats a great move to ease him into the fold

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Just watched the Klefbom interview. I am really excited about this guy. He's big, strong, smart, and skilled. I think he's every bit as good as Brodin, with a higher upside. I still think half a season in the AHL would be good, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he forced his way onto the team in camp.

Edit: Nurse had a good interview too. Well spoken and respectful kid. Honest about the challenges ahead and eager to prove himself. I am sure Eakins liked hearing about how it's all about working hard for him. I don't expect him on the team this season, but he'll be here soon enough. I hope he watches a lot of Scott Stevens videos this summer.

Last edited:

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Hopefully Klefbom is really good to go, I have some strong doubts myself because he barely played last year. The kid's a gem and will get there eventually. Definitely seems to be an intelligent young guy, I remember his interview after he got drafted and it struck me how calm and well-spoken he seemed to be. Should have no problems fitting in quick, his english is better than lots of native speakers already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad