Prospect Info: Development camp

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nope, apparently Visa issues (couldn't get the paperwork done in time).

Yakimov, however, is coming. I'm not sure what the difference was between them and getting the paperwork done. Was Yakimov already over for the draft?

Yakimov was already over. Slepyshev didnt come, but who would want to travel half way around the world just to be passed over again

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
I wonder if there is some sort of plan for Benjamin Lindemulder. The Oilers always open some opportunities up for Alberta Bears players.

Last main camp...they had Brett Ferguson in there.

A couple years ago...Jesse Gimblett and Eric Hunter..but...not often a defenceman gets any sort of look.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
nice.. so a healthy Nurse and a healthy Klefbom...
Lets see how much the difference is between the 2. If Nurse isnt AHL eligible for another 2 yrs he might be jumping straight from minors to NHL. A couple of AHL ATOs might be enough..

I'd be shocked if Nurse went straight to the bigs. And given we already have Petry, Smid, the Schultzes, and Belov, it's going to be a fight for the young guns to grab the #5-6 spot.

I'd expect Klefbom is more NHL ready at this point.

So one more year of junior for Nurse then maybe MAYBE the bigs next season, but even that is pushing it.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I'd be shocked if Nurse went straight to the bigs. And given we already have Petry, Smid, the Schultzes, and Belov, it's going to be a fight for the young guns to grab the #5-6 spot.

I'd expect Klefbom is more NHL ready at this point.

So one more year of junior for Nurse then maybe MAYBE the bigs next season, but even that is pushing it.

I'd say it is pushing it. I'm expecting he plays his final season in the OHL, and gets two opportunities at the WJCs before he jumps up to the bigs.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
It sucks in a way when your prospect is too good for the O but not yet AHL eligible, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
nuge was going to play 9 games then go back to JR and so was sam gagner and both ended up forcing their way onto the team, nurse playing isnt unrealistic

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
nuge was going to play 9 games then go back to JR and so was sam gagner and both ended up forcing their way onto the team, nurse playing isnt unrealistic

All of them were forwards.

Big difference when your talking 'D'. Its much tougher to hide an inexperienced guy in a group of 6 than it is a group of 12 ;)

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009

Not unrealistic, but a bad idea. D men take longer. Gagner probably should have went back to JR for another year. It paid off for Eberle.

Unless Nurse can realistically jump into a top 4 position and play at that level all year then he needs to go back down to the CHL for a season or 2. Let him develop.

The Perfect Human*

It sucks in a way when your prospect is too good for the O but not yet AHL eligible, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

He's not though - he's not even the best defenseman on his team...

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Nuge would have had to screw up colossally to not make the team. Despite what the Oilers may have said they had him penned into the lineup.

It really wouldn't surprise me if Nurse made the Oilers team this season because the management is so unbelievably incompetent. One good game in training camp and the Pejorative Slurs upstairs think he is primed and ready for an 82 game grind.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
So do you think Nurse plays in the NHL to start the season before returning to junior?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
So do you think Nurse plays in the NHL to start the season before returning to junior?

I should hope not. Would be a colossally stupid move to rush him like that. Let him play in junior and make the jump to the AHL when he can. This guy will benefit tremendously with years of development and seasoning.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I really don't see the harm in giving nurse a 9 game try out to let him experience what the NHL is really like before going back down, then he might have a better idea of what to work on and make him more hungry after getting a taste of the NHL.

I wouldn't want him staying past the 9 games though.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009

I should hope not. Would be a colossally stupid move to rush him like that. Let him play in junior and make the jump to the AHL when he can. This guy will benefit tremendously with years of development and seasoning.

.... I think its a good idea. Give him a taste of the NHL game. It will give him a better idea of what he is building to. He can still develop and Season in the OHL and AHL for as long as he needs.

Its not like its going to hurt his confidence. He'll know that its probably over his head. IMO only good can come from him getting a taste of the NHL before he resumes his development in the OHL.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Maybe he figures Ryan Sproul is going to be in Grand Rapids next year and that Nurse will be the Greyhounds' #1D next year as a result.

...or because he's an Oiler.

At this point we have to do what's best for the player regardless of how impatient we are. Being a number one defenceman in the OHL and captain of the team will be a good learning experience.

Also, it's hard for players to put on a significant amout of muscle during the season. I think he will be able to workout a lot easier on an OHL schedule then an NHL one.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Zero chance Nurse plays with us this year

Being the #1 guy in SSM and being Captain will be very important for his development. Playing in the World Jrs doesn't hurt either.

Imo, no matter what we should let him play the next two years in the O. After that we can reassess where he is at and where he is ready to play.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
At this point we have to do what's best for the player regardless of how impatient we are. Being a number one defenceman in the OHL and captain of the team will be a good learning experience.

Also, it's hard for players to put on a significant amout of muscle during the season. I think he will be able to workout a lot easier on an OHL schedule then an NHL one.

I'm a little surprised that it's even a question as to whether he's in the OHL or not. I can understand with a forward where they're providing some value as we were extremely lacking in top 6 talent, but for a defenseman it would be such a waste to burn a contract year where he's not adding much value at all. Let him play through training camp, realize how much stronger he needs to be, and go dominate the O for a while. It'll be good for everyone.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
No signed out of college. They say hell get camp invite if he goes through waivers and no team signs him

The Oilers have until August 15 to sign Bigos. If they don't, he'll be an unrestricted free agent. No waivers involved.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything

You won't get any argument from me. I'm almost always in favour of players spending their draft+1 season back in junior whether they're NHL ready or not (and Nurse is definitely "not"). I don't even want to see Nurse playing on the Oilers in 14/15 simply because he's a defenseman and our D will be young enough. I don't like that every year there's a new rookie on the everyday lineup. My Oilers comment was just a shot at the state of our defense in general and 100% in jest.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Zero chance Nurse plays with us this year

Being the #1 guy in SSM and being Captain will be very important for his development. Playing in the World Jrs doesn't hurt either.

Imo, no matter what we should let him play the next two years in the O. After that we can reassess where he is at and where he is ready to play.

I agree completely, but I'm not talking about the whole season with the big club. Do you give him a taste and send him down or just keep him down and tell him we'll bring him up when we think he's ready?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad