Prospect Info: Development camp

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hopefully Nurse has a miraculous off season and puts on a good 20lbs. That's really, really hard to do though. He's probably going to have to get to 210lbs, maybe 220lbs before he can stick in the NHL. He's gonna need a year or two. Oh well, Klefbom can be the rookie dman this year.

Maybe eventually, but I don't think he'll need to be that heavy when he starts.

Erik Gudbranson is 6'4'' 200lbs and although he isn't the best hockey player yet, he definitely doesn't struggle with the physical aspects of the game.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Gotta say that that sounds more like not being able to throw a hit properly... maybe he wasn't used to the speed? but really if you're the one going in there to throw a hit, more times than not you should be the one walking away from it, not laying on the ground... no matter what your size.

Not really. Look at the Lucic/Emelin hit. If the stats I saw are correct, we need Nurse taking whatever roids Zharkov is on

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i am in the camp that says i dont want klefbom to be gifted an NHL spot but i would bet money he forces his way onto the team this year in TC. I know he practiced with the oilers for the last month of the season and i think the oilers know exaclty what to expect from him. he is a beast

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Marincin, Gernat and Petry are all around 6'4" and all are well below 200lbs in weight.
None of these have been able to add 20 lbs since they were drafted so I doubt Nurse can do it in 2 months.

The guy will be in minors for the max amount. If he wont add 20lbs he'll be smart enough to use whatever he has by then.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Marincin, Gernat and Petry are all around 6'4" and all are well below 200lbs in weight.
None of these have been able to add 20 lbs since they were drafted so I doubt Nurse can do it in 2 months.

The guy will be in minors for the max amount. If he wont add 20lbs he'll be smart enough to use whatever he has by then.

I'm curious why you included Petry since he has added a lot of muscle, and is 200 lbs

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

This is one of the reasons I was against drafting him, lacks hockey IQ IMO.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I don't know if I have doubts about Nurse, but I do think that teams tend to overvalue size when it comes to defencemen, hoping to draft the next Pronger or Chara or something. Some of the best defencemen now and in NHL history were not overly tall.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Bit of an afterthought here, how come the guy we traded Bigos for wasn't at camp? Started before the transaction, was he eligible ?

Also wonder if Kenny Morrison made an impression on the team. How did he look at the camp ? Maybe I should just ask McCurdy

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I don't know if I have doubts about Nurse, but I do think that teams tend to overvalue size when it comes to defencemen, hoping to draft the next Pronger or Chara or something. Some of the best defencemen now and in NHL history were not overly tall.

Chelios just got inducted into the hall of fame, is about 6-1 and 190. Not a big guy by any stretch. The funny thing about Chara and Pronger is they really use their reach, and positioning, but neither actually hits that much. Both aren't even that strong, they are pretty lanky.

Nurse will fill out, in the end he will be 6-5, 220 ish, the bottom line though is I don't really care. I want him to beable to play position and use his stick effectivly.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Tell Patches about how Chara doesn't hit much.

Just kidding. But seriously though, Chara and Pronger are/were just incredibly strong players that knock you off the puck in the corners and clear out the front of the net. They don't necessarily destroy players with big hits but they do everything else to keep the puck or win it back.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
This is one of the reasons I was against drafting him, lacks hockey IQ IMO.

Klefboms biggest flaw at the time he was drafted was noted to be his hockey IQ too... Its an important skill obviously, but decision making on ice can be improved as players develop.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nurse IMO is too lean to play his game at the pro level. That's fine, when we drafted him I wasn't expecting him to step in this season anyway. LD is our deepest position in the organization BY FAR. He needs 1 maybe 2 years to get bigger/stronger and then things should come a lot easier for him. He's a hard working kid and I'm sure that he'll add the needed mass and strength to his frame, I remember Evander Kane being drafted as a string bean and now he's a bonafide power forward in the NHL, I'd expect that Nurse will go through a similar transformation physically.

Right now he is looking up at Smid, Ference, N. Schultz, Klefbom, Marincin, etc. ahead of him. That's a lot of players to leap frog straight out of the draft IMO. We can afford to be patient with him and IMO we'd be fools not to.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Chelios just got inducted into the hall of fame, is about 6-1 and 190. Not a big guy by any stretch. The funny thing about Chara and Pronger is they really use their reach, and positioning, but neither actually hits that much. Both aren't even that strong, they are pretty lanky.

Nurse will fill out, in the end he will be 6-5, 220 ish, the bottom line though is I don't really care. I want him to beable to play position and use his stick effectivly.

You really think that Chara and Pronger aren't strong? I suppose this is why most people don't want to fight with Chara......

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Klefboms biggest flaw at the time he was drafted was noted to be his hockey IQ too... Its an important skill obviously, but decision making on ice can be improved as players develop.

Not at all, I was super high on Klefbom and surprised he was around at 19th. Klefboms problem always has been his questionable offense and whether he could transition. I guess the transition part could be referred to as a hockey IQ problem but I don't remember anyone questioning his positioning/play on the ice.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
This thread has me thinking about a lot of stuff I've heard lately from some ex pro's and college players about how prevalent steroids have become in the league.

Say you're 6' whatever but under 200. You can either take 4-5 years and build a solid core and put on 5 pounds of muscle each year to get to that level ( for every 10 pounds you gain you lose about 8 during the season so gaining 20 pounds is actually really difficult)
Or you can go on the juice, not plateau and do it the easy way, make the show 1-2 years quicker.

I'm not justifying, especiakly since i think a player at 190 who doesnt juice has a core like a guy who does at 215, nor do I want to derail the thread, but it makes me see why lots of players would want that shortcut

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Not at all, I was super high on Klefbom and surprised he was around at 19th. Klefboms problem always has been his questionable offense and whether he could transition. I guess the transition part could be referred to as a hockey IQ problem but I don't remember anyone questioning his positioning/play on the ice.

I was super high on Klefbom too and was ecstatic when the hawks picked mcneill, but your totally re writing history, at the time of the draft he was talked about as an offensive guy but with issues defensively.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-nex...rospect-profile-the-other-swedish-defenseman/

NHL Potential:

A two-way defenseman with strong puck rushing abilities. A number two or three defenseman on a good team.

Strengths:

*See “One Timer†Section Above

Strong first stride
Very physical
Offensive upside
Accurate first pass
Appropriately joins the rush

Flaws/Aspects He Needs to Work On:

Defensive positioning
Shot accuracy
Hockey intelligence

Hockey sense is Klefbom’s major liability as it grades from 35-40.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
You really think that Chara and Pronger aren't strong? I suppose this is why most people don't want to fight with Chara......

neither are bulky. If you saw them you would call them lanky. People don't want to fight with Chara becuase he has insane reach.

Call me crazy, but neither are that strong. They are not super mucle guys. I meet pronger once and was amazed how slender he actually was. Tall, but not super buffed.

as a poster up said, neither really runs around hitting. they knock players of the puck with positioning.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
neither are bulky. If you saw them you would call them lanky. People don't want to fight with Chara becuase he has insane reach.

Call me crazy, but neither are that strong. They are not super mucle guys. I meet pronger once and was amazed how slender he actually was. Tall, but not super buffed.

as a poster up said, neither really runs around hitting. they knock players of the puck with positioning.

They are wiry strong, you don't need to be jacked up and look like a body builder to have lots of strength.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

You're crazy. Chara is a beast, and has the ability to ragdoll people.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I was super high on Klefbom too and was ecstatic when the hawks picked mcneill, but your totally re writing history, at the time of the draft he was talked about as an offensive guy but with issues defensively.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-nex...rospect-profile-the-other-swedish-defenseman/

The way I read them is that he doesn't have the IQ to put up big offensive numbers. Which I'd agree with, but from the start I said he'd be a tony lydman type d man. Solid PMD that puts up 20-30 points a year. I don't see Nurse as anything more then a bottom pairing d man, if we get lucky he's maybe a top 4.

Karsa Orlong

Knight of chains
May 6, 2012
Edmonton
The way I read them is that he doesn't have the IQ to put up big offensive numbers. Which I'd agree with, but from the start I said he'd be a tony lydman type d man. Solid PMD that puts up 20-30 points a year. I don't see Nurse as anything more then a bottom pairing d man, if we get lucky he's maybe a top 4.

I am curious how you project him as a bottom pair D. You said you think he has low hockey IQ, which i have heard before but with caveats. I remember hearing a Jason Greggor interview where he was speaking to a scout about that. I honestly can't remember the name of the scount so take it for what its worth, but the scout was alluding to some scounts thinking this very early on in his rookie year, but that it was not even close to an issue anymore. So he was basically telling Gregor to stop looking at out dated scouting reports.

I have also read (i believe on copper and blue), that Nurse faced the toughest minutes of any defenseman in the CHL this year, when combining both QOC and ZS%. He also put up most of his points at even strength, with 2nd pair PP time only.

I respect your opinion, but it seems like you have to reach pretty far to come to that conclusion.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
They are wiry strong, you don't need to be jacked up and look like a body builder to have lots of strength.

Ya, thats basically what I am saying. You do't have to weight a lot to be strong. every one is obsessed with how much Nurse weights, thats what started all this.

point being strength on the ice has more to do with balance than weight. Chara is 6-8 and about 255, well that seems like a lot, he really doesn't weight much for a guy that height. Propnger was 6-6 and about 210, that is border line skinny for some one that height.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad