Prospect Info: Development camp

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'm curious why you included Petry since he has added a lot of muscle, and is 200 lbs

I added him because being under weight was his issue as well... He finally got up to 200lbs 7 years removed from his draft. Marincin and Gernat will take some time..
My post was in response to someone wishing Nurse to go crazy this summer and show up to camp 20lbs heavier.

it takes years unles you go the Peckham\Bogosian route

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Klefbom has the benefit of having played pro hockey in Sweden for the last 2 years.
Nurse is still pretty raw, he definitely has the upside and physical tools required to be an NHL dman.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
So judging by people's comments. Klefbom is pretty much an NHL player while Nurse is a long long ways away from the NHL?

Not sure who is saying what, but yes to Klefbom being a NHL player. I would think Nurse is a year away. Some people saying he is 2-3 years away are just nuts.

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
Not sure who is saying what, but yes to Klefbom being a NHL player. I would think Nurse is a year away. Some people saying he is 2-3 years away are just nuts.

From the sound of the tweets from camp, Nurse has a *long* way to go physically before he'll be NHL ready. He's a bean pole, and he needs to grow and learn to adapt his game to playing against men. He may be in the AHL in a year, but not the NHL unless we get desperate.

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
I think the only issue with nurse right now is his size as soon as he gets into the 200+ pound range he should be real close if not good to go. He has the skating to be a real good defenceman now is the time to improve is IQ and add some much needed size.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Well in the "nuts" defense... it certainly wouldn't be unusual for a freshly drafted dman to take 2-3 years to become a regular on an NHL roster. In fact that's more the norm than not.

I don't think it's really putting Nurse down (or any other highly regarded 18 year old defense prospect for that matter) to say that 2-3 years of further development would actually do them a lot of good before they become full-time NHL regulars.

Results from Larson in NJ has been very much a mixed bag... at times good but overall I think even his biggest fans would have to say he's been very average to mediocre.

The Oilers Justin Schultz who's many years older has had a tough adjustment so far defensively in the NHL... although obviously the offensive side of the game comes much more naturally to him.

Klefbom may have a slight advantage because as pointed out he's played in a men's league already but I'm betting it's not going to be a super-smooth transition either... and he very well may benefit from an AHL season... whether or not he makes the NHL roster or not.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Nurse doesn't look to be ready until the 2015-2016 season

give him 2 years in the OHL to develop his skills and leadership...let him play on team Canada for the WJHC and be one of the go-to guys and bulk up his massive frame

by summer 2015 we'll be saying the same things about Nurse as we did about Kelfbom

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Nurse doesn't look to be ready until the 2015-2016 season

give him 2 years in the OHL to develop his skills and leadership...let him play on team Canada for the WJHC and be one of the go-to guys and bulk up his massive frame

by summer 2015 we'll be saying the same things about Nurse as we did about Kelfbom

Nurse has some stiff competition for the WJC this year, I don't think we can write him in this year just yet.
If a couple of Reinhart, Dumba and Rielly can make their NHL clubs things will look better. Even then Nurse still has to battle '12 draft guys like Pouliot, Pelech, Severson, Matheson, and Finn. Not to mention some competition from kids in his draft year in Pulock, Heatherington, and Morrissey.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm hoping they give Nurse 2-3 years before he becomes an Oiler regular. 2 years in the OHL, let him have a 9 game stint during the second year, then for the third year give him a legitimate shot to make the team. If he doesn't then give him a year in the AHL. He's going to be a good defenceman for us if we develop him properly.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I was in Penticton today and remembered the rookie tournament. Is it happening this year and if so when?

I sure hope so, it's one of the highlights of the year and it pumps me up pretty hard for the start of the season. I would think it's a go, the only reason we didn't have one this year was because of the lockout.

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
I was in Penticton today and remembered the rookie tournament. Is it happening this year and if so when?

2013 YOUNG STARS CLASSIC SCHEDULE

Game Teams Date Time
Game 1 Edmonton vs. Calgary Sept. 5 4:00 pm
Game 2 Vancouver vs. San Jose Sept. 5 7:30 pm
Game 3 Winnipeg vs. San Jose Sept. 6 4:00 pm
Game 4 Vancouver vs. Calgary Sept. 6 7:30 pm
Game 5 Alumni Game Sept. 7 5:00 pm
Game 6 Edmonton vs. Winnipeg Sept. 7 7:30 pm
Game 7 Vancouver vs. Edmonton Sept. 8 2:00 pm
Game 8 San Jose vs. Calgary Sept. 8 5:30 pm
Game 9 **Winnipeg vs. Vancouver Sept. 9 12:00 pm

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
OHL this year for Nurse for sure. Next year either OHL or AHL depending on how he develops. Third year either NHL or AHL.

Klefbom should get some AHL seasoning this year too, adjust to the North American game and get back into things after his injuries. If he looks good, bring him up, if he struggles, let him find himself in the AHL.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
^
He won't be eligible to play in the AHL until he's 20, he can get a 9 game stint in the NHL before being sent back to Soo

Sucks we have to wait until Sept for the Tourny. Was it always Sept? I can't remember.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC

You think that the thought of a raw defenseman taking until the age of 20 to 21 to become an NHLer is nuts?

B A T M A N*

Jun 29, 2013
Vancouver
I have a bad feeling Nurse will bust after hearing about his lack of hockey IQ. That's not something you pick up with a couple more seasons in the Dub, you either have it or you don't.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I have a bad feeling Nurse will bust after hearing about his lack of hockey IQ. That's not something you pick up with a couple more seasons in the Dub, you either have it or you don't.

Then I guess it's a damn good thing that he plays in the OHL. Phew! You had me worried for a second! :D

B A T M A N*

Jun 29, 2013
Vancouver
Then I guess it's a damn good thing that he plays in the OHL. Phew! You had me worried for a second! :D

Lol you know what I mean.

It's scary though. I mean especially for defenseman, you need hockey IQ. I'd rather a 6'0 defender that has it, than the 6'4 physically gifted defender that doesn't.

B A T M A N*

Jun 29, 2013
Vancouver
Lol you know what I mean.

It's scary though. I mean especially for defenseman, you need hockey IQ. I'd rather a 6'0 defender that has it, than the 6'4 physically gifted defender that doesn't.

Disclaimer: I've never seen him play and am only go by the reports from development camp I've read. I hope I'm wrong though...

B A T M A N*

Jun 29, 2013
Vancouver
BATMAN = IATL's long lost son.

I lol'd :laugh:

I'm not trying to be pessimistic. To be a top defender in this league you need top notch hockey IQ, and again I don't think it's something he'll magically pick up if he doesn't have it. Am I really that out to lunch with that thought process?

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
2013 YOUNG STARS CLASSIC SCHEDULE

Game Teams Date Time
Game 1 Edmonton vs. Calgary Sept. 5 4:00 pm
Game 2 Vancouver vs. San Jose Sept. 5 7:30 pm
Game 3 Winnipeg vs. San Jose Sept. 6 4:00 pm
Game 4 Vancouver vs. Calgary Sept. 6 7:30 pm
Game 5 Alumni Game Sept. 7 5:00 pm
Game 6 Edmonton vs. Winnipeg Sept. 7 7:30 pm
Game 7 Vancouver vs. Edmonton Sept. 8 2:00 pm
Game 8 San Jose vs. Calgary Sept. 8 5:30 pm
Game 9 **Winnipeg vs. Vancouver Sept. 9 12:00 pm
Thank you, thank you and thank you!

I guessing know what I'm doing on Sept. 5/7/8.:yo:

Last edited:

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
No he's basing it on REPORTS of development camp with no games.

I overheard some guy at a bar who said his friend's brother went to the development camp and thought Nurse wasn't very impressive or anything.

BUST.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes