Prospect Info: Development camp

The Perfect Human*

While Marchand is a unique player in the league, this is not entirely true. Greg Chase has a lot of Marchand in his game. I can personally vouch for ability to piss off every opponent and every opposing fan in the rink.

Forgot about him. How I wanted to strangle him in that Hitman series...

He doesn't have the high-end offensive ability of a Marchand though. Reminds me more of a Lapierre.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
I hope Khaira doesn't "Schultz" us. I believe that loophole is still there.

Dissappointing that the kid would go back to Michigan freaking Tech instead of Everett.

Hope it works out for him.

We still have his rights for 3 years so I dont think we have to worry for another 2

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Dissappointing that the kid would go back to Michigan freaking Tech instead of Everett.

Well he is a BC boy, so I doubt it. Not much to worry about really. Also he is still a long shot, I do like him though.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I see Dallas invited Brendan Ranford to their camp, really wish the Oilers could have been on that.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Ewanyk does seem like a really likable guy based on the videos from prospect camp. His offensive production hasn't progressed like I would have liked in Edmonton but he's been in tough behind some talented players. Is he off to Oklahoma next year? He has a skillset that could land him an NHL spot in a few years.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Ewanyk does seem like a really likable guy based on the videos from prospect camp. His offensive production hasn't progressed like I would have liked in Edmonton but he's been in tough behind some talented players. Is he off to Oklahoma next year? He has a skillset that could land him an NHL spot in a few years.

Not sure where else he would go other than OKC. Pretty sure he's ready for pro and done with the Oil Kings.

dem

Mar 17, 2002

Why? Michigan Tech is an up and coming program, and Khaira is getting plenty of opportunity to play there.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Anything in particular that brought this moment of gushing on? Did he stand out today?

Just the way he interacts with teammates. He isn't a primadonna type either. He'll gladly play the checking role and he'll take pleasure in doing it well. This is the type of player the Oilers need more of right now.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
If you haven't already, give Yakimov a follow on twitter. He's growing on me big time, no worry what so ever about if he'd be willing to come over or not, and if both him and Yak1 are in north america Slepyshev can't be too unlikely either.
https://twitter.com/bosh1011

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I'm a huge Ewanyk fan. I absolutely love his game. If he can up his scoring a little bit he will be an absolute gem. Big, big fan.

The Perfect Human*

He's a 3rd round pick, not a 1st round pick. The success rate of those guys at the NHL level is quite limited - it's a tough decision to make to leave a fully-paid athletic scholarship for the WHL.

He made it clear at draft time that it was a priority for him and his family for him to get an education before giving pro hockey a go - the Oilers picked him anyways. I don't think he'll "Schultz" us tbh.

Given how he's looking - I think it'll take him the full 4 years anyways to get to that NHL-ready position. I don't mind waiting on him.

The Perfect Human*

Just the way he interacts with teammates. He isn't a primadonna type either. He'll gladly play the checking role and he'll take pleasure in doing it well. This is the type of player the Oilers need more of right now.

I'll be honest - I don't see much of a player there with him. I was more encouraged watching Liam Reddox emerge out of the OHL than I am seeing Ewanyk right now. Is he expected to start with OKC next season?

Oct 30, 2011
I'll be honest - I don't see much of a player there with him. I was more encouraged watching Liam Reddox emerge out of the OHL than I am seeing Ewanyk right now. Is he expected to start with OKC next season?

Yes, he will start in OKC.

He certainly seems like a good kid, but we'll see how he handles being a pro.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
Here is picture from a tweet from Tencer with line combo's today.

One team has 4 rw, the other has 2, leaving both teams with uneven lines.
If only there was some way to even this out....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 67

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Here is picture from a tweet from Tencer with line combo's today.

One team has 4 rw, the other has 2, leaving both teams with uneven lines.
If only there was some way to even this out....

Team blue with sexy prospects ... team white with grinders..
im guessing team white outproduces the shinier players

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Some scrimmage tweets:

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 44m Good morning from Millennium Place for last day of #Oilers development camp m4 on 4 scrimmage today.

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 38m Travis Ewanyk has visited his home away from home (the sin bin) for a borderline hit on one of the Jones boys

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 22m Darnell Nurse with an up & down 1st period, had a few good moments but some rough patches. Went for a big hit & got the worst of it

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 18m Enjoyed watching pair of Dillon Simpson & Oscar Klefbom move the puck,but they did get beat for a couple of grade A scoring chances as well

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 17m Still no sign of Mitch Moroz or Joey Laleggia who both missed entire camp, or at least on-ice portion, with physical issues.

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 13m @extremeprism I liked Yakimov best with a puck on his stick.

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 4m Finally a "seen him good" moment with Andrew Miller,with a nifty dangle to walk in for a chance,then a strong defensive play seconds later

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 1m A couple of nice snipes from Kale Kessy parked in low slot,then John McCarron with a drive off the post & in

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 2m Some solid defensive work from the @EdmOilKings duo of David Musil & Marty Gernat. Musil broke up 2 thrusts before they developed, Gernat 1

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 26s Musil with a fine stand up at blue line to deny zone entry (a specialty of his) but beaten seconds later by wide speed (his Achilles heel)

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 15s Oscar Klefbom with a beauty, dangle & deke to score easily

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 2m Ewanyk with a nifty dangle & finish, seconds after a collision with Nurse. Looked like a sniper there for a second or so

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 3m Klefbom really stands out in this group. Had extended sequence in d zone protecting puck against heavy pressure without breaking a sweat.

Bruce McCurdy ‏@BruceMcCurdy 3m That's all she wrote. Team White 5 Team Blue 4, with White captain Ewanyk's pretty goal the decider.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
How could Jujhar "Schultz" us? I thought you had to play a year of junior hockey after being drafted before going to college to use that loophole.

I remember an interview with him right after we drafted him saying he would go wherever the Oilers thought was best for his development. Looks like they thought the NCAA was better for him over the WHL and I agree with that.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
I was lucky enough to attend the scrimmage this morning, and here's my thoughts for the day. Once again, I'm not anything even in the same neighbourhood as a scout, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. I basically took a quick note whenever I noticed a player do something nice or make a big mistake, so I probably missed many of the finer details.

Just because I don't list a player doesn't mean they did poorly - just nothing jumped out at me as a casual observer.

Goalies:

#1 Tyler Bunz
Had an excellent diving pokecheck late in the game, generally solid

#29 Frans Tuohimaa
Let in a really soft goal between his skates that he didn't seem to notice at first

Forwards

#42 Marco Roy
Noticed his tenacity pursuing the puck carrier, seemed to be effective on the forecheck

#43 Reid Petryk
Absolutely bulldozed Nurse when Nurse attempted a hipcheck on him

#49 Nick MacNeil
Really soft hands, danced around defenders a few times.

#52 Jujhar Khaira
I'm a big fan of this kid in general, so I was hoping to see a little bit more than what he showed today. He needs to work on both his footspeed and puck handling (especially receiving passes).
However, he's incredibly tenacious on the forecheck, gave the white team fits several times trying to break out of their own zone, and picked off one d-to-d pass which lead directly to a scoring chance. Seems to be hard to knock off the puck and to be pretty good at knocking others around. His shot is decent but seems to stay low to the ice no matter where he's shooting from. Effective cycler.

#56 Evan Campbell

I noticed him pull off one particularly nice rush

#58 Andrew Miller
Skated into the middle of the ice and rattled a laser of a wrist shot off the post on what looked like a nothing play

#59 John McCarron
Scored an excellent goal where he bulldozed straight through Nurse and beat the goalie pretty cleanly

#67 Travis Ewanyk
Very good at jamming up opposing rushes, but took a very questionable hit during a scrimmage on (I believe) Kellen Jones - would have probably been called for boarding/hitting from behind in an NHL game.

#69 Kale Kessy
Good grinding plays and pretty good foot speed, but hands aren't fantastic. Seemed to fight the puck a bit.

#71 Kyle Platzer
Very persistent on hounding puck carrier

#72 Connor Jones
Takes the puck to the net well

#96 Greg Chase
Tried to be too fancy for his own good. A few times tried to deke out two or more defenders and once and got stripped of the puck before accomplishing anything with it.

Defensemen:

#74 Darnell Nurse
I was a big fan of the Nurse pick at the draft, but he has some serious work to do.
First and foremost, he's not NHL ready physically. Multiple times he got run through on checks, or tried to throw a big hit and wound up being the one to get bowled over. He looks skinny, he needs to add a lot of muscle mass to be ready to play against men.
Secondly, he needs to calm his game down. I'm not sure if he was nervous or trying to show off, but many times he was trying to make an impressive play (a one-timer slapshot, a big hit, etc.) when it was the wrong judgement call. He blew assignments multiple times, and he liked to shoot the puck directly into a crowd when he had a teammate open.
IF I had to guess I'd say it looked more like nerves than showboating, but I don't want to try and speculate too much as to his inner thoughts.
Thirdly, he needs to learn when to chase his man and when to play positionally. By my eye he was responsible for two of the goals against Blue team by chasing guys around and losing his assignment. (It's worth noting that on the second goal I'm referencing, he played the position perfectly, McCarron was simply too strong for him to stop).

For positives, however, he's a very smooth skater (especially backwards) and demonstrated that he's not at all afraid of going for hits or standing people up at the blueline.

If he weighed 20 more pounds I'd have walked away today with a very different impression, he's just not physically mature enough yet to play the game the way he tried to. His timing and positioning weren't nearly as big a problem as his scrawniness was, the fact that guys could shrug him off was the biggest thing against him.

#75 Barron Smith:
He generally had a good stick active in the passing lanes, and wasn't often out of position.

#79 Dillon Simpson
Together with Klefbom, by far the best D pairing on the ice today. The only time I noticed any fault in his game is when he missed a pass that would have sprung him for a breakaway, he got flustered and looked pretty upset. I'm not going to try and extrapolate character flaws from this, and for all we know this fiery aspect could be a good thing.

#84 Oscar Klefbom
Oh boy. Oh boy oh boy oh boy. By FAR the best player on the ice today, and it wasn't even close. This guy's a gem. There were points where he took over the entire game, in all three zones. Was difficult to get past in the neutral zone, took his man off the puck very well on d, and patrolled the attacking zone like a veteran.

You could see his goal coming a mile away, it was that obvious that he just decided he wanted to score and it was going to happen. I don't think that Blue team lost possession of the puck once if Klefbom went in for a board battle.

He casually stripped attacking players of the puck regularly. Bounced people off him when they tried to get physical. To me, he looks like he could be an NHL defender tomorrow.

#86 Ben Lindemulder
Impressed me with his hustle to keep a play onside, has a nice, active stick in the d zone

#87 David Musil
Strong in board battles

#88 Jake Baker
Really impressed by covering a good chunk of the ice fast enough on the back check to eliminate a 2-on-1 chance. Generally effective on defense.

#90 Erik Gustaffson
I liked his positioning, angled people away from high percentage areas well

#95 Ben Betker
This kid is a hulk. Even though according to the player list I have there's other players who are as tall/heavier than him, standing on the ice he looked like a giant. Played a low event game otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad