Prospect Info: Devellano comments on Anthony Mantha

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Mantha didn't dodge that after the Griffins eliminated the Marlies.

"Personally, I think I underachieved a little bit," he said. "Obviously, I would have liked, say 50, 60, 70 points. That was my goal at the start of the season. Obviously, I didn't achieve that, but it's not over.

"I could have a great impact in the playoffs. Who knows? Only one goal could make a difference between winning a series or not. A block shot, one-on-one battles. It's not over and I want to show them I can still play great hockey."

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2015/05/red_wings_prospect_anthony_man.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-redwings+%28Detroit+Red+Wings+-+MLive.com%29Link

He knows he has to do better and he's not giving up. Sounds like he's going to have a grinding summer, it's good to hear.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
These boards can be pretty funny with the knee-jerk reactions but it looks like most of us have recognized not to do that on this one. Was his year sub-par? Absolutely, but considering the leg, considering moving up to pros considering everything, it's understandable. He still had 15 goals which obviously isn't good... but it's something. The recent three game injury to the leg also shows that it still isn't perfect necessarily. I really like Mantha as a draft pick, he was the guy I wanted in the draft and I was stoked when we picked him. Last year he had tremendous success, but this year he had some trouble. He'll have some ups-and-downs. If he works hard this summer I honestly think he'll turn things around and he'll be a force all of next year with the Griffs and see 5-10 games with the Wings. After that he'll challenge for a spot out of training camp. Hopefully Larkin's path will be more smooth.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Mantha played 28 minutes per game at QMJHL If remember right what I saw on extraskater.com before that site went down.

At Griffins, he was 2nd liner at maximum who won't get anyhow over 15 minutes of ice-time, if he isn't either at 1st PP or 1st PK.

So his former Ice-time was cut ~50% and at some point he was out from special teams totally.

+That injury.

It really hard to produce on that kind of situation. Of course, he didn't deserve any more icetime being good, there was better pros already in front of him scoring like mad. Like Pulkkinen.

Next season is different. RW spots are open, Pulkkinen will be promoted and Ferraro too. Mantha and Frk will probably fill those 1-2 line RW spots. It's time to win the competition and steal the 1st line spot from other teammates. Then be a weapon on the 1st PP.

And the points will come.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Mantha played 28 minutes per game at QMJHL If remember right what I saw on extraskater.com before that site went down.

At Griffins, he was 2nd liner at maximum who won't get anyhow over 15 minutes of ice-time, if he isn't either at 1st PP or 1st PK.

So his former Ice-time was cut ~50% and at some point he was out from special teams totally.

+That injury.

It really hard to produce on that kind of situation. Of course, he didn't deserve any more icetime being good, there was better pros already in front of him scoring like mad. Like Pulkkinen.

Next season is different. RW spots are open, Pulkkinen will be promoted and Ferraro too. Mantha and Frk will probably fill those 1-2 line RW spots. It's time to win the competition and steal the 1st line spot from other teammates. Then be a weapon on the 1st PP.

And the points will come.

those were estimated ice times. not necessarily accurate.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/05/05/de...ny-mantha-disappoints-team-vp-jimmy-devellano

The issue, according to one pro scout, is his compete level. “The size is there. The skill is there. Sometimes the fire is missing,” the scout told SI.com. “You want to see more from him in the puck battles. You want to see him earn his space. He’s got that size, he has to use it.

“It’s a tough transition from juniors, but especially for big men. You see a lot of [kids] who used to be able to get by on their size struggle with it when they have to go up against big, strong men every night. It’s a whole new game. It’s a real test. Not everybody is going to pass it.

But honestly I’ve seen improvement in his game during the second half of the season. His reads are better, his positioning is better. He cut back on his penalties. He’s figuring out the mental aspect of it and that’s a good sign, a positive sign. But yeah, there’s times [they’d] like to see him more engaged, more aggressive. It shows up at times and then others it’s just not there. I think that’s why [Devellano] sounded so frustrated [after watching Mantha play three poor games in the AHL playoffs].

“The key for any player in his position is to stay hungry. To constantly push himself to be a better player. And never take anything for granted. [Mantha] has an opportunity to be a special player, but no one is going to hand him a job. This was a reminder of that, that he has to earn it.”

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
I honestly think he'll turn things around and he'll be a force all of next year with the Griffs and see 5-10 games with the Wings. After that he'll challenge for a spot out of training camp. Hopefully Larkin's path will be more smooth.

Nobody questions Larkin's compete level. Every game you see him play, he is all over the ice and very noticeable. Mantha.... not so much. It's been a knock against him from Day 1 and still continues.

The only thing keeping Mantha back is Mantha. Luckily he's only 20 and surrounded by the best in the league at developing young talent, if someone can get him sorted out, they will.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
If that ruins his career, he was never going to make it.

I think this is the key factor. While I don't necessarily agree with Jimmy D's approach, Mantha just needs to take it as a challenge and prove the old codger wrong.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Nobody questions Larkin's compete level. Every game you see him play, he is all over the ice and very noticeable. Mantha.... not so much. It's been a knock against him from Day 1 and still continues.

The only thing keeping Mantha back is Mantha. Luckily he's only 20 and surrounded by the best in the league at developing young talent, if someone can get him sorted out, they will.
It's hard watching Larkin and Mantha and comparing the two when it comes to effort and energy because Larkin is a great skater who plays the game at a really high tempo. Mantha is like Franzen or Keith Primeau when he was a kid...guys that size can look lazy, lumbering and come across as loafers when they aren't fully engaged. Mantha needs to realize that simply moving his feet can go a long way towards showing the type of effort the organization wants to see.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Completely different players.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's hard watching Larkin and Mantha and comparing the two when it comes to effort and energy because Larkin is a great skater who plays the game at a really high tempo. Mantha is like Franzen or Keith Primeau when he was a kid...guys that size can look lazy, lumbering and come across as loafers when they aren't fully engaged. Mantha needs to realize that simply moving his feet can go a long way towards showing the type of effort the organization wants to see.

I'd hate to have Getzlaf on our team. he also looks lazy and unengaged.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps it's his playing style rather than being lazy? Many players played similar (Brett Hull being one of them).

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Did it ever occur to you that perhaps it's his playing style rather than being lazy? Many players played similar (Brett Hull being one of them).

As long as it translates to production, cool. But Franzen's playstyle seems pretty lazy to some people and no one gives him the benefit of the doubt.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I was wondering who would replace our large lazy scoring forward spot. Good to see we found a kid to fill in.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
As long as it translates to production, cool. But Franzen's playstyle seems pretty lazy to some people and no one gives him the benefit of the doubt.

I've always thought Franzen's hot streaks just fed the lazy meme. When he scored 7 goals in 5 games or something people expected 7 goals every 5 games. When he didn't, he was lazy. Unrealistic

Jul 30, 2005
The TZE theory rings truer and truer.

"I'm not surprised he's struggled," Holland said. "The AHL is a tremendous development league -- it's a hard league, it's men. Anthony Mantha expected to have more points, have a bigger impact. He's going through adversity, and that's part of being a pro, part of developing as a human being. If he doesn't like how this year went, then do something about it in the summer. That's what Tomas Tatar did, that's what Riley Sheahan did. They became standouts at the AHL level, and that's what enabled them to come to the NHL level."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...05/detroit-red-wings-anthony-mantha/26930295/

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I've always thought Franzen's hot streaks just fed the lazy meme. When he scored 7 goals in 5 games or something people expected 7 goals every 5 games. When he didn't, he was lazy. Unrealistic

Id rather have a Franzen then a guy who does nothing but give the puck away

Franzen was a 2nd/3rd liner, and at his cap hit, Thats a good contract as well (just forget about the years :scared:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
What exactly do you do over the summer that makes you move your feet more during a game? I get that increased strength and quickness will obviously help, but I think this is more about internal motivation than anything physical. Then again, if he played with a stronger motor, he wouldn't have been available at 20.

Not coming into a season with a broken leg will certainly help.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
I'd hate to have Getzlaf on our team. he also looks lazy and unengaged.
another good example, though getzlaf is usually more engaged than not.

i once said getzlaf sometimes looks like mark messier and sometimes like robert lang.

agree, although i have been critical of franzen's intensity. he's one of the most streaky players i have ever seen.

i don't think franzen is actually talented enough to be an elite player, unless he consistently played with crosby or malkin. i think he could have been at his '09 level much more often, though.

mantha, OTOH, seems to have that level of talent.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
IIRC Mantha was given props by management through the diggers for putting in work last summer to get up to 214 lbs, so I don't really have much doubt he will put in work this summer.

Jul 30, 2005
What exactly do you do over the summer that makes you move your feet more during a game? I get that increased strength and quickness will obviously help, but I think this is more about internal motivation than anything physical. Then again, if he played with a stronger motor, he wouldn't have been available at 20.
I don't think he actually has intensity problems so much as he has mobility problems that put him in situations where he looks uninvolved. But what's really going on is he knows that if he commits to the play, he's going to fall behind/lose defensive positioning. With a summer to improve his mobility, he could be able to play his game again and forecheck and all that. I want to reiterate that I think playing him with Athanasiou right now is just compounding the problem. (There's been this weird factor this season where Mantha would get demoted for poor play, but then do really well on the 4th line. and I think most people thought that was Mantha showing more effort. but I think it's that Mantha can actually keep up with Aubry and friends, to the point where he can play his game.)

I think we need to reject overly simplistic answers like Mantha simply doesn't want to join the play, or even that he doesn't recognize that he can. Mantha is not an idiot, and he's not this unmotivated scrub, either. He's played hockey at some really high levels, and he's looked involved doing it (including with the Griffins at times this season). It should be no shocker than Mantha looked most involved at the time in the season when he was the healthiest, and now that he's gotten hurt, he looks tentative and uninvolved again.

Not that I'm saying he'll get healthy and become a compete level machine, but he has looked far better than he's looking right now. and he can get back there with improved mobility and confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad